View Single Post
Old 06-1-2014, 07:05 PM   #80
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: 10 foods you're probably not eating enough

my point about egg whites is based on several assumptions about The Normal Person, namely that their caloric intake is too large above anything else and that most people don't get that much protein (maybe 60g per day, based on what most people I know eat)

if you google egg white vs. egg yolk you will notice that while egg yolks have a greater concentration of micronutrients, the caloric value is insane by comparison -- about six times greater

now, the wharton life expectancy calculator provides a great way to estimate the effects of many detrimental habits on your long-term health. you will notice that severe obesity is FAR more detrimental than obesity in that obesity takes off 15-20 years from your estimated lifespan while smoking habitually for many years takes off four. (keep in mind that this is 'estimated'; it also asks you about sex habits, but only because this increases your risk of getting a fatal STD -- if you never get one, for an estimation of your individual life expectancy this sex habit would not affect you at all)

in other words, I am assuming that low-calorie / high-protein foods will be better for a normal person than high-calorie high-protein foods in terms of macronutrients. 'nutritionally' admittedly is vague in this sense and I apologize for that, but I didn't anticipate someone would demand clarification. in hindsight I probably should have.

micronutrients are a far greater gamble but that's why I suggested spinach; notice spinach performs very well against egg yolks. this is further why I think you should supplement multivitamins, because eating every major micronutrient every day just isn't going to happen. regardless, with extremely nutrient dense and low calorie foods like spinach / kale you can supplement a lot of these vitamins while remaining low-calorie.

of course, you could be already quite skinny, in which case the most beneficial thing for you to do would be to add on muscle mass, in which case this thread is gold since high-protein is essential for that. however, I'm assuming that this is targeting a fairly average audience, and the average person is slightly overweight if not quite overweight (I recall the average male being something like 5'9" 190lb), therefore I prioritize low-calorie content since a mere diet change for a person like this would shave off several hundred calories per day and over time cause the participant to drop about a dozen pounds in a year
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote