View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #101
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: An Album A Day Keeps The Doctor Away | 365 Album Challenge

Peace of Mind is one of the better tracks, but that's not really saying much. It's probably the second best track in the album though, first being More Than A Feeling.

May 24th, 2014
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Blake by Lowercase Noises
Lowercase Noises is the project of American musician Andy Othling. Contrary to the artist name, Andy does not make either lowercase or noise. Instead, he makes post-rock with very strong ambient influences. Blake (along with Vivian) are albums dedicated to their expected children. I'm personally not sure if I can think too positively of Lowercase Noises, though. Ambient Songs is a wonderful album, despite its lack of coherency (it's essentially a compilation of tracks). On the other hand, his other albums like Carry Us All Away feel generic and uninspiring. It just feels like it's been done before, more than anything else.

Will You Catch Me If I Blow Away is split into two tracks, Part 1 and Part 2. Part 1 is pre-dominantly ambient, and it's quite warm too. It's actually around the same feeling I get from Engaged Touches from Celer. If not, it's like the feeling of someone protecting you. I'm not sure who, but it feels more paternal/maternal more than anything else. Not bad, but the feeling I get is quite thin. The textures aren't really there, but it slightly works.

Part 2 is a little less conservative, with more prominent guitars. It's more towards post-rock than ambient this time round. It's a little odd to listen to, although I've listened to many post-rock projects like this. The thing about Lowercase Noises' music is that it generally has that warmth to it that I can't put my finger on for the most part. Other than the first track of Blake, I've never been able to explain what atmosphere it's trying to portray. The atmosphere does become clearer 4 minutes in, with the Sun just shining right at my face. I feel like I'm in the middle of the beach, just watching the Sun move from dusk to dawn. It's actually... quite beautiful. I feel welcomed here. It's like they've been waiting for me. I could probably stay here forever.

There's no denying that the atmospheres Andy evoke are beautiful. However, it does feel a little uninspired. It's something that I've seen time and time again, I eventually want something different. The longest track - The Windows of You, feels completely aimless. The first and second tracks have accomplished much more in their shorter lengths than this. It's fine to have a generic atmosphere, it's just that it won't be that memorable. But to be generic AND aimless, is a different story altogether. But I digress. The album as a whole just seems unmemorable. The album is too safe - too little experimentation. Actually, I don't think I've actually heard a single LN album that's rather experimental. Most of them tend to create the same sound, maybe with a denser/dreamier atmosphere. I think he could do a lot better if he makes his sound more... explosive or bleaker. I've honestly wished that there was more the entire album. Not that it says much though, the album is actually quite short. 5 tracks long, total of 30 minutes.

In conclusion, beautiful sounds but too cookie-cutter. It leaves a lot more to be desired, honestly. Almost as predictable as Explosions in the Sky, if not slightly more so. Lowercase Noises does bring in quite a couple of emotional aspects though, which is a plus. Unfortunately, it's not enough for me to hold my attention. Andy could do a lot more with this album than just typical emotional post-rock. Neat dedication, but nothing special.

Album Highlights: Will You Catch Me If I Blow Away (Part 2)
Track Average Rating: 2.7/5
Overall Rating: 5/10
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Polarize EP by Seven Lions (recommended by Coolboyrulez0)
EDM. Seven Lions is the brostep/complextro/drum and bass project of Jeff Montalvo. Polarize is his first EP. It's hard for me to talk about genres like these because I don't listen to them at all. I've been too busy listening to IDM and ambient and all, but I forget about the more accessible part of electronic music. So, I'm a little uncertain how to review music like this.

This album is essentially 4 tracks, along with 2 remixes. Below Us is a bit of an atmospheric track, with the dreamy vocals and drop in the background. The drop is a little prominent here, but I don't think it's really in the forefront. The vocals and drop actually compliment each other well. The second half is kinda neat, with its breakdown and all. It feels a little too flashy though, so I didn't really enjoy it. The track doesn't provide anything else, other than that. Have to say though, it's not bad. I wouldn't listen to it again if I had the chance, but I wouldn't mind listening to it if it was playing. The drum and bass remix isn't as atmospheric. In fact, it's considerably worse than the original. Maybe I just find DnB as a whole a bit of a hilarious genre, with its signature kick, snare, kick-snare sequence. The track isn't really catchy, it just feels like music made for a rave more than anything else. It's just too bland for me to like.

Tyven is more complextro more than anything else. It starts off atmospheric, then takes a more aggressive approach. The build-up is pretty sudden and hits right you in the face quick. Its variation is actually quite good, the rapid changes in atmosphere are a nice touch too. It becomes a little too upbeat for me to like in the last two minutes, but I could see others liking this. Just not my cup of tea. It's alright, I just wouldn't listen to it again.

Polarized is more hard hitting. Far more aggressive than the previous tracks I've mentioned, and I think it works well. The drop and vocals still aren't as forefrontal, but it fits. If it becomes the center of the track, it becomes too prominent. It's quite catchy as well, which is always a plus. Especially for EDM. The breakdown is wonderful, it really shines in comparison to the rest of the album. I like this, but it's a little too short. The extended mix doesn't quite do it justice. It just adds filler instead of the elements that made Polarized great. It's alright though, but I'd much rather listen to the original mix.

Isis is quite different from the other tracks. The sampling is a lot more tribal and the drop is in the center this time. A little too overwhelming for me at this point. The samples in the background create this odd atmosphere though, it's futuristic yet so foreign to me. I would really like this atmosphere to develop though, but the drop is too much. It's too powerful, it destroys most of the progression the tribal sampling had. Can't say that I like this one, although some of the sounds here are neat.

For EDM standards, this is a good EP. It's varied, although not all of the tracks are ones that I like. I could see many people who are into EDM to really like this since there's so much variation here. It's probably one of the most accessible albums too, since the energy variation here is very good. Unfortunately genres like these aren't my cup of tea, so I can't say that I've enjoyed listening to it throughout. I really have to be in the mood to like albums like these, and I'm rarely in that type of mood. It's a respectable attempt, however. Seven Lions did a good job.

Album Highlights: Polarized, Below Us
Track Average Rating: 2.75/5
Overall Rating: 5.5/10

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-29-2014 at 08:59 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote