Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #39
jaz_pup
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to jaz_pup Send a message via Yahoo to jaz_pup
Default Re: 1+2+3+4... = -1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
The details surrounding this result is quite advanced, yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't find it fascinating. You really only need to know one thing to appreciate this fact: In some contexts this result is justified. You can go one step further: You can use analytic continuation to expand the domain of a function. One step further: This result is related to the behavior of the riemann-zeta function. You can go as far as you like, but the first statement alone allows us to appreciate the surprising result.

When you find something fascinating, it doesn't have to be something you can understand. There are lots of facts about the world, not just mathematics, that are amazing, and many of them even top academics don't understand yet.

It's more important to first understand mathematics as a whole, the things I've mentioned in my last post. Once people understand these basic ideas, there will be far fewer misunderstandings about math, far more people that will appreciate it, and it will contribute greatly to people being better at math.
I never said it wasn't fascinating, I just said we should discuss something more easily understandable that is fascinating. And I think I understand enough math, I gave the suggestion so that we could all collectively have a more useful discussion since it might be something more accessible as not many people have studied (as far as I know) the Riemann-Zeta function.
jaz_pup is offline   Reply With Quote