kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: Don't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Shortage of Workers? AHAHAHAHAHA

You know that in the past 4 or 5 years, the unemployment rate (Which is the people who are -looking for jobs- but can't get them) for the "recent grad" demographic of 22-29 was almost 30 percent? That's "The Great Depression" level bad.

It has nothing to do with not wanting a minimum wage job. Do you know how many minimum wage jobs I applied to when I was out of work? I'll tell you: all of them.

Retail, Fast Food, Service, you name it, I applied to it. You know why I didn't get a job? Because I have a university degree. They won't -GIVE- a minimum wage job to someone with a degree, because they know they won't stay and will be looking for another better paying job.

So your option becomes lying about your education and pretending you don't have a degree at all. If you worked part-time through school, you might be okay trying this, but if you didn't, you've got a 3-4 year gap in employment that any HR staff is going to see right through.

Add to that the fact that by leaving off your degree, you're basically saying "The tens of thousands of dollars and years of time and effort I spent earning this degree were a waste"

They've actually started classifying an entirely new subset of depression based around depression caused by being unable to find a job because it is -intensely- hard not to start taking it personally like there is something wrong with YOU when you apply to 100 jobs and nobody even sends rejections out anymore.

My company put out an ad on Kijiji for a part-time job that pays only a little above minimum wage. In 48 hours I had over TWO HUNDRED applications, most from people with university degrees.
you live in ontario, perhaps you missed the tidbit that said in my end of canada.

that is hardly the situation here. there are tons of retail jobs hiring in moncton. new brunswick has the highest aging population in the country due to most people moving out west for higher paying jobs. there are very few jobs that aren't minimum wage and all those positions are still filled by older people who can't afford to retire so they keep working. soon there will be a gigantic lack of skilled trade workers (my work is currently heavily understaffed, if you want a job washing dishes for 18$/h holler) since our province can't offer competitive salaries like alberta can in other sectors such as food service and other low skill jobs. literally (I am not exaggerating) 70% of convenience stores here are owned by South Koreans who were given money by the Canadian government to come here and run a business. Nobody wanted to work these jobs so they found people to do them. NB is a shithole though so it's no surprise nobody wants to live here hue. There is nothing keeping skilled workers here since most jobs are held by the majority age group that should be retiring soon. people my age here are few and far in between and in the next 10 years there will most certainly be a shortage of workers.

Last edited by kommisar; 01-8-2014 at 05:50 AM..
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote