View Single Post
Old 08-2-2013, 04:46 PM   #1807
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
It's like you don't even read what I write. You totally missed my point. You aren't against anything I said.
Believe me, I read what you said. Your post was riddled with things that could be addressed, but I'll just hit the big ones:

You lead off with "there are multiple problems when going by such studies in regards to toxicity" which ignores reality: It's not like only "obvious, serious issues" are tested for and then everything else gets disregarded in turn.

I'm also not sure what your intent is with "I presume any doctor who advocates snake oil is taking advantage of the positive side of placebo," but I am guessing you're implying that since the placebo effect can have a "positive side," therefore it's OK to sell snake oil.

Your post made it sound like there was still plausible/significant doubt somewhere within the science when it's not the case. If I've misread you then I apologize, but that's how your post came across to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
It was sprung because some studies found that they ARE in fact harmful.
However when you say totally unsubstantiated horse-shit like this, it only makes me more confident that you DID mean what I suggested above.

Like Reach said, it doesn't make sense to say that "GMOs are harmful." It reminds me of when people say "I don't want chemicals in my food! I only want natural ingredients!" ...what? Practically everything in your food is a chemical of some sort. And there's plenty of "natural" stuff that'll kill you, too.

Unfortunately, when many people think "chemical," they think of a test tube full of crazy, poisonous shit. This is the same kind of thought process that goes behind the GMO fearmongering-BS. A lot of it is argument from ignorance. They don't understand it fully, so they fear it and look for any reason they can to justify that fear, no matter how tenuous the rationale.

And yeah, Monsanto has done some sketchy things. But to bash GMOs for Monsanto's business practices is like saying high-speed internet sucks and is something we shouldn't pursue because Verizon is run by dillholes.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-2-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote