Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere
Default Re: Modelling creativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
It would be easy for it to decide a colour at random; but the point is that a computer won't have a favourite colour, so it needs to decide red or green based on certain conditions which aren't ingrained in it. It could give you a precomputed response but much like a machine wouldn't possess consciousness it wouldn't have a personal choice in the matter of whether or not it likes red or green.
Well yeah it wouldn't have a favorite color, but if you were to ask it, say, which of these colors is red and which is green, a program could easily distinguish between the two.

Quote:
Another thing I'm pondering-- at what point is our brain not machine-like? At the synaptic level I'd argue that there's potential to replicate those systems of organizing and acting receptively with signals. Mind you that would take a lot of small components in order to model something so immense.
Neuroscience still doesn't 100% understand the brain. I think we first need to fully understand the brain before we can even think about trying to replicate similar functionality in any reasonably accurate manner.

Quote:
Also about finding the shortest path, what about an algorithm that's just trying out all of the paths until it finds the shortest one? Something like a quantum computer could do that very efficiently, but of course we're not able to do that right now.
That's just called the brute force algorithm. It's one of the least efficient algorithms and won't work on many problems whereas other algorithms will, simply because even with modern computing power, a brute force approach to some problems would still take hundreds of years, thousands of years, or longer.

As far as I know there do not exist any quantum computers. There have been some which have been claimed to be quantum computers but which have not been proven to be so. So quantum computation is strictly theoretical unless an actual quantum computer were to exist at some point.

Quote:
I think there's forever going to be the barrier of artificial intelligence being just a reflection of what appears to be traits of an intelligent mind, which is just a series of precise calculations to the machine. We could make something believable but, at the core, still just a machine.
Yes.

Also, I think you would be interested in, would benefit from, and should read a good book on Artificial Intelligence. It should cover most of what we've been discussing and you should see different views on things, things which have been tried, etc... Unless you're really interested in the programming side of things, try to get a book which isn't so focused on programming but more just an overview of AI.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/artificial-minds
^Here is one such book you may benefit from reading.

If you have a university with a science library near you (I mean a dedicated science library -- not just a library which also includes science texts), you could go there and browse through their offerings in the computer science section.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by UserNameGoesHere; 06-16-2013 at 02:56 PM..
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote