View Single Post
Old 12-1-2012, 11:37 PM   #54
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: The BMS/IIDX Thread

When you start off, I assume you're going to have trouble finding any sort of beatmania games to buy, so by no means beatmania for the US is a bad starting choice. Most people will not have an easy time finding these games at all, so the US beatmania game being subpar is the least of a beginner's worries.

And I don't know anything about plugging the iidx controller into your PC to play BMS, so I'll take your word about that option you mentioned. Could you elaborate? I guess this factor only matters if you're talking about BMS stuff, but popadop didn't go into details about what he plans to use the controller for.

And the bundle should be < $100. The link I showed is just far overpriced, probably due to users trying to get a few more bucks for the bundles they sell. It's far from "pretty expensive" when you consider the arcade-style controllers.

The bundle is great to get a beginner or novice started, because he'll have a decent controller and a game to boot. Of course though, it's not the best controller. I don't think Dao's are miles better though, other than just a more "authentic feel" (which includes a slightly further turntable and, if you choose, lighted keys).

If popadop decides to play iidx games on the PS2, then definitely go for the US KOC and stay away from the J KOC. If he's only going to play on the computer, then he might as well get an arcade-style controller, since he doesn't need to pay additional costs for game purchases, assuming BMS files are entirely downloadable for free.

Does anyone know how prone DJ Dao controllers are to sticky keys? Are the keys also spring-loaded? Or a different mechanism?

edit: late post seeing what you guys just wrote above, but still worth reading
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote