Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #1077
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
What I've read is that it's a good idea to go past parallel because you work out both the hamstrings and quads at the same time. Otherwise, if you only develop the quads, muscle imbalance issues may cause knee problems later (mainly if you use heavier weight).

Then again, I don't claim to know much about this, and I see no reason why one couldn't just do parallel squats and then work out the hamstrings with something else (in my case, stiff-legged deadlifts would probably help pick up the slack).

I'm coming real close to canceling my gym membership and just sticking with my in-house gym, but I need to make a final case for squats either way. If I can do them, I want to start doing them. But if I absolutely cannot get the form down properly, I'm just wasting money.
Yeah, squats aren't the only exercise that work your hamstrings. Add in leg curls or something that hits your hamstrings directly. You'll be perfectly fine.

I never squat past parallel because I don't want to and never will, and my hamstrings are fine. If I'm ever unhappy with them, then I'll add in something else to hit them harder.

I think that's the key point with fitness man. Do whatever you want to do. If you don't like a certain exercise, then don't do it. I know a lot of people here are telling you to essentially suck it up, but listen, you're not going to be a ****ing professional bodybuilder. It's not that serious. You're an average new lifter that is looking to get into better shape, and if you're afraid you're going to hurt yourself doing squats and don't like them because you're having trouble with them, then don't do them. It's really that simple.

I'd much rather see someone like you actually go to the gym regularly and enjoy it than stress about some exercise and end up losing motivation. The squat rack isn't going anywhere. You can come back to it whenever.

For the record, my squat form is far from perfect and I've been doing them for a long time. It's not an easy exercise to perform correctly. 90% of people doing them in the gym are doing them wrong. If you're going to keep doing them, consider it a learning experience and don't expect it to be perfect the first time you're doing it.

This applies to most lifts. It's a learning experience man, you're not going to be perfect. But that doesn't mean that what you're doing is wrong or that it won't help you. The body is hardly that picky. Just stay safe, don't hurt yourself and try to have a good time in the gym.

Last edited by Reach; 10-26-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote