View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #45
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Reincarnate - AMA (might as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
why did you go to the college you went to (penn? is that cool to say? you went there right) and what do you think of it now
yeah, Penn, although technically i just tell people Wharton bc that's the name of the business school. if i say Penn by itself, people don't know if I mean Penn State or UPenn, and even if they guess UPenn, they don't know if it's CAS, SEAS, Wharton, etc.

I went there because I thought it'd be a good chance to get into the investment banking field, which is a pretty surefire path to earning millions by the time you're in your 30's. The problem: I found out real quick that investment banking wasn't for smart people who actually cared about doing something interesting/worthwhile -- it was for extroverted-and-bright-yet-nevertheless-meatheaded dudes who were into "models and bottles," as the culture is called. Totally not my style. I had a girlfriend at the time who was going to Princeton, too, which was an hour and a half away. I figured Penn was the best of all worlds.

Looking back, I didn't like my time in college at all. Too many of my peers were sheltered types from well-off families, and it made me feel really out of place since I had to work all the time just to make ends meet. Classes weren't that interesting, either, and I didn't make many friends because I was depressed/busy for most of it (I had maybe 4-5 decent friends and 20 acquaintances upon graduating). It's a good school -- it just wasn't a good fit for me. I would have enjoyed Stanford more. I could have studied compsci, enjoyed fantastic weather, enjoyed my classes, had better aid, etc. Would have had to break up with my gf at the time, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-17-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote