View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #90
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Do you see anything wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
But the problem is people DO try to win these arguments, and nobody ever wins in a religious debate.
IMO false.

Quote:
The walls of text are redundant to read because it can always be summarized with "yeah um youre wrong heres why", and "nuh uh youre wrong heres why" and there's never any peace with these discussions.
The problem isn't about "nuh uh you're wrong here's why" from both sides... I mean, that's what a debate IS. Both sides argue a point. The real problem arises when people are unwilling to change their minds no matter what, even if their positions are exposed as being incredibly weak/inconsistent/etc.

For some reason people feel like there's some huge social cost to conceding points or acknowledging fault/being incorrect over something.

Quote:
It's all worthless ego-boosting.
Nothing to do with ego-boosting. People just get tired of seeing their country to go shit over things that aren't based in reasoned discussion or evidence.

Quote:
For religious debates, read the Bible, Summa Theologica (St. Thomas Aquinas), and various other scriptures on philosophy and life, instead of posting about why your beliefs are superior to another.
1. Plenty of people have read that stuff and still argue this topic, so I don't see your point here.
2. It's not about superiority. It's about fairness and equality.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, take some time to realize what started this particular argument...which is a ****ing facebook post by some no-name person who's only flaw (in the eyes of the OP at least, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a flaw) was that the person is vocal about their faith. Think about that for a second.
Huh? Her being vocal about it isn't the flaw, here...
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote