View Single Post
Old 05-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #22
User6773

Default RE: Re: RE: TWG XV: Postgame Coverage

I have to start by saying, Tps getting MVP is the stupidest thing I've seen this game. You do not give MVP to a member of the losing team. All the more reason to toss the idea forever.

NOW, THE ANSWERS EVERYONE HAS BEEN SEEKING. THE CHARDISH FAQ.

Q: How long had you been planning this?
A: The idea came to me when I introduced the psychic in TWG II. I realized that if a wolf betrayed another wolf and turned out to be right (thanks to the psychic), it would essentially prove his humanity. I didn't tell a single person about the idea - why would you, before you're going to pull out something big like this? People would suspect you forever. I'll never be able to do it again, of course.

Q: Who had knowledge of this plan, before you did it?
A: Kilga, and LD (who was at that point dead.) Both saw the screenshot.

Q: Did you really know posting a screenshot was against the rules?
A: No. And Kilga saw it before I posted it, and didn't say anything.

Q: So none of the other wolves were in on it?
A: No, they weren't.

Q: You're a jerk.
A: That's not a question.

Q: Was this a response to Alain coming under pressure on Day 2?
A: No.

Q: What made you decide to do it, then?
A: Two things.
1) The fact that this was a mark game actually helped the humans, not the wolves. They could be confident that at least one power player was a wolf. I was a natural mark, but I wasn't the master. I was a regular wolf. Thus, I was in huge danger of being seered and killed.
2) This game was more stacked against the wolves than any other I've ever seen. Witness, vigilante, seer, guardian, and psychic - plus the mark - plus the fact that they were all able to work together since day 1 due to an unbalance in the Vigi role, which should be permanently retired, never to return. The human alliance was completely impenetrable, even with the presence of the master. I decided it was time for more drastic action.

Q: Didn't you have any compassion? Isn't it mean to backstab your fellow wolf like that?
A: No, and yes. TWG is a game. It is not a microcosm of reality. The actions I take in TWG are the actions I think will best help me win the game (after all, it IS every man for himself. Going back to the original werewolf scenario, if you've been ripped to pieces by wolves or lynched by your fellow townspeople, after you're dead you don't really care which side wins.) If I die, frankly, I don't care about how the game ends. This isn't a matter of pips - this is a matter of just wanting to win the game, out of principle.

I keep my TWG-life and my real life separate. In fact, in this game, I was very irritated that I couldn't log onto AIM to talk about stupid stuff with my non-TWG friends without being bombarded with TWG questions from everyone. I was irritated that TWG was intruding too much into my real life. Inversely, in my final few conversations with Tass, I claimed that I was taking his votes for me personally, and I was pissed at him on a friend-to-friend level. I wasn't. Wolfish lies. There is no kindness or friendship in the game.

So should whoever I did this too be pissed? Yes - pissed that they lost the game, and nothing more. They shouldn't stop being friends with me, nor should they quit the game out of irritation. You lose games all the time, and some people lost this one due to fairly uncommon, unorthodox, and unexpected reasons. But it's a game, and the game is not reality. Keep the two worlds separate, and you'll enjoy both a lot more. The voice of reason has spoken.

Alain, sorry you didn't get the win. I didn't intend for this stunt to affect you. You can blame Tps for this (more on this below).

Q: Isn't this teamkilling/griefing?
A: Yes, but for a different purpose. In online multiplayer games, TK'ing is done just to piss people off and ruin the game for everyone. I did this to advance my possibilities of winning (obviously it backfired), and it ended up making the game more interesting rather than ruining it (in my opinion.)

ATTENTION WOULD-BE IDIOTS WHO WOULD TRY TO GET REVENGE ON ME: IF SOMEONE IS SO FOOLHARDY TO SELL ME OUT TO THE HUMANS NEXT TIME I'M A WOLF, I WILL REVEAL THE NAMES OF ALL THE WOLVES. IN PUBLIC POSTS. AND SHOW MY PMs, TOO, IN PUBLIC POSTS, JUST TO PROVE IT. BAN BE DAMNED. This plan was attempted once, and will never be attempted again.

Q: So what was the ideal plan?
A: In case you're an idiot, and haven't figured it out. Betray TPS and get him instalynched before people have time to think on it any more. In other words, shut him up before he reveals too much. At this point, the psychic validates the Tps kill was a wolf, and now I'm a confirmed human and don't need to be seered. Too much evidence in my favor - even when our numbers start whittling down, my move would just be too illogical if I were a wolf.

Q: Didn't you know he was going to lash back and call you a wolf too?
A: Yes. Who wouldn't?

Q: So what went wrong?
A: I pointed this out in my long defense post. I was stupid enough to hold an actual conversation with TPS to gather source images for the photoshop. Given more time to think this through, I probably shouldn't have done this, and spent more time instead fabricating a convincing photoshop. Bottom line, I predicted that he would get angry and call me a wolf, but that he wouldn't have any concrete evidence to back it up. I didn't predict that he would post the entire conversation.

I don't fault Tps for trying to screw me over in this manner. He WAS wrong to screw Alain though. I'm guessing he wasn't thinking too hard when he did that. Clearly, anger and hate, the Dark Side are these.

I got home from work at 4 AM that night, long after everyone in TWG had already fallen asleep. Here's where mistake #2 happened in my plan. I read the log that Tps had posted, but failed to start fabricating a log of my own. This was CRITICAL. This created a hole in my story too big for Tass to ignore: why didn't I have a log of the real conversation? Especially one so damn important?

Q: Can I see the screenshot again?
A: Sure: http://www.lightdarkness42.com/chardish/tpsisawolf.jpg

Q: Why is it JPG? You always use PNG!
A: Good eye. JPG dithering masked the traces of photoshopping I did (there were tiny tiny color variances between the words.)

Q: What all did you photoshop?
A: The conversation, the timestamps on the conversation, and the time in the system tray. Before I took the screenshot I closed conversation windows with the other wolves.

Q: Can I have the PSD?
A: Sure. AIM me if you want it. PSDs are relatively large files, and LD is already generous enough with his bandwidth that I don't want to steal more than I have to.

Q: Why did you wait to post the screenshot?
A: Hesitation. Also, the fact that I didn't want to be interrogated about it before I went to work. In retrospect, I should have planned this sooner and changed the timecode to be closer to when I went to work..

Q: Why did you do this when Tps was online? It would have been smarter to blindside him.
A: But also very suspicious. Why would I wait for Tps to go offline before I posted information damning him?

Q: Was Tps' conversation that he posted 100% accurate?
A: Yes.

Q: Didn't you forget about the witness incident?
A: Had you guys lynched Tps faster, this wouldn't have been an issue. I honestly wished you had rushed to action quicker than you did - this would have helped me out a great bit. It would have been a LOT easier to nail Jurs if it weren't for the conversation Tps posted.

In the end, I cost Tps the game, and then Tps cost me the game. Turnabout is fair play, I suppose. I've been smiling and laughing about it the whole way. I wanted a chance to play the evil behind-the-scenes manipulator and I got my chance. I wanted to make the game more fun and I did. I wanted to confuse the hell out of a lot of people and I did that, too. This has been my favorite TWG ever, and I died Day 3. Take a lesson from this, pip-whores.