Thread: GAH I'm fat
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #51
Bahamut-X
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: GAH I'm fat

Why are you asking for advice on healthy, effective ways to lose weight and then going against all the advice people are giving you? Fasting may be reliable but it is neither healthy nor, in the long term, effective, since losing weight and keeping it off involves a lifestyle change, rather than just a temporary fix which is all fasting really is when you think about it.

I found the best way to make exercising fun and engaging is to listen to music. A very simple suggestion, but hugely effective. My absolute favorite way to do cardio is to strap on my camelbak (for hydration, a water bottle is just fine), stick my earbuds in, crank up some heavy metal / hard rock and go for a bike ride. It's never boring. ESPECIALLY if you can sync certain songs to more difficult terrain to give you that extra edge. Even just biking by itself without music is more interesting than stationary exercise, such as the elliptical or running on a treadmill.

Another thing about cardio, and someone feel free to correct me on this since I'm no expert, but I've heard that doing too much cardio at once can actually be harmful to you. That is, after a certain point the benefit of continued time spent doing cardio decreases exponentially to the point where you are actually not doing yourself any good at all. I used to do 40 to 50 minutes on a treadmill, but it's just overkill. 25 to 30 minutes at most of good cardio, that is, cardio that maintains an elevated heart rate (don't know what your optimal zone is based on your gender or age, probable somewhere around 120 or so bpm?), should do the trick. Once again, someone feel free to critique this since I'm no expert, just something I read in a fitness book.
Bahamut-X is offline   Reply With Quote