Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #783
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dossar's Video Game Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
That same burst repeated 6 times in the song come on :c Files like that give no chance at all for anybody who sucks at bursts to get some points on another hard pattern that they're better at, and it's the 3rd file like that in the tourney. Monstrous is all stream, Inner City is all jack (with jumps), and this one is all burst. Not hating, just saying that imo, files based on 1 type of pattern only really aren't the best for tourneys, since depending on how long the file is, and how many notes there are in the hard pattern, some people are advantaged. Files like Round 1 and 3 were more general so funnier to play. /2cents
I find it better to test a wide variety of skillsets. You'd certainly have a point if this was based on cumulative scoring, but it isn't; it's based on tournament points.

In other words, if you can manage the one handed trilling required to nail the 48ths in Wily Machine, you have an advantage. It's not like you can have stream most of the time -- and managing jackhammers is another important skillset that I like to emphasize within reason.

It would be very unfair if most of the rounds were say, stream with a few bursts. More fun for other players? Probably, but it's not like you can just continue on with the game constantly having a weakness in jackhammers, lol.

Again I understand the frustration you guys might be having in playing these files, but it should also give you an idea on what you can improve on. This is also why my tournaments are now based on tournament points and not cumulative scoring, because cumulative would indeed be a very unfair advantage.

After this tournament is over I'll ask for ideas on another tournament, themes like maybe dubstep or a mix of genres, and then actually have others step files for the rounds (similar process like in the DF custom tournaments) since I generally receive complaints about focusing on certain skillsets.