View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Terry's Astronomy Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluearrowll View Post
Astro Picture of the Day:

Source:
Under a completely dark sky in the southern hemisphere, if you went outside and tilted your head up while the sky was clear, this is what you would see after letting your eyes adjust for about 20 minutes to the faint lights the Milky Way galaxy has to offer. This picture specifically was taken on Mangaia, the southernmost of the Cook islands. The bright stars just off centre to the right are part of the constellation Centaurus. The brightest star is alpha centauri, which follows how stars are typically named. They are named from brightest to dimmest, beginning with the greek alphabet, and often extending into our alphabet. For example, "beta sagittae" is the 2nd brightest star in the constellation Sagittarius.
i'll never see something this amazing with the naked eye

**** you light polution. every night i look up at the sky and im so saddened by the lack of stars it really brings me down, so depressing.