View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Public announcement of sentient(and possibly advanced) life outside our planet.

I think it highly unlikely we'll encounter human-like life in space, but it seems likely there'd be 'high-levels' of it in some shape or form.
Life is defined very clearly by biologists, but metaphysically, life is not defined well at all.
For all that humanity is looking for water and then hoping to find life, I find it hard to believe that all life must follow the same sort of evolutionary path that exists on Earth. Water hardly seems necessary for the idea of life, or intelligence, or consciousness.
If we stretch the scope of what life could be, some people consider something like the Earth a living thing. We only consider things that are alive in a certain time-frame: if something's been around for too long, it's not alive. Also, if something's too small, it's not alive. If something's too big it's not alive. If something only exists for a second, it's not alive. Simply because it's too far outside of humanities' scope or perception of what something living is.

The big bang could have been initiated by something outside our universe. Imagine humanity creates conscious, intelligent life that exists purely online, and was created following evolutionary principles. Those beings would be engineered, would they not?
Perhaps our universe is simply, in a very loose sense, another lifeform(s) computer.

Of course it's imaginative, but so is most theoretical physics. Unfortunately, physics has yet to give us a good (or any) measure of life. There do exist theories that include multiple universes though.

My hs physics didn't touch relativity at all. Most things I know about physics beyond simple newtonian forces is from books, tv and the internet.

"No. funny. sigh." I don't get it

Last edited by Cavernio; 02-28-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote