View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Patterns & Names (updating currently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
screw music terminology !!!!!!
Honestly, I agree with this. A lot of music terminology is really bizarre and counterintuitive, and dates from a time when people thought about rhythms and pitch in a fundamentally different way than we do now. Just look at music notation itself to see how silly some of the ideas are. And from what I've heard music doesn't even have a good word for jacks, a concept which is arguably one of the most important factors in higher-level 4key play.

Anyway, music only uses "triplets" for 12ths because it was based around the concept that everything must be in terms of 4th/8th/16th/etc notes, but all the Stepmania-family games have 12th/24th/etc notes by default, so we can feel free to use that word for other, more useful stuff. The concepts of measures, time signatures, upbeat/downbeat, and many more are only useful at all for Western performance-based music, and we shouldn't be using awkward terminology just to make a couple of people feel like they don't have to relearn anything. IMO, using what's natural has worked great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
In fact I'd argue strongly that a runningman is a type of stream anchor, just one that already has a different name.
This is a very good point.