View Single Post
Old 11-3-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Classical Music Attribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
The only ones that are changing dramatically are Turkish March (to Marcia Alla Turca, which I think is not too bad)
Hang on a bit. That's just a translation issue, and since this is a largely English speaking community we should use an English name if there is one. In the case of classical pieces it's in our best interest to use a labeling that is easiest for people to find/understand - that's why we're using common names in the first place, no?

EDIT: I have a feeling that the "Marcia Alla Turca" name was not favored because Beethoven was Italian (I mean, he isn't ) but because Italian was essentially the dominant language of music at the time and there was no reason to buck convention. I'd argue that it shows no more disrespect to translate the name into English than if we were to translate Newton's books into English from the original Latin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Not sure what we would do about this, as it's caused other songs to be mis-labeled as well (Of course you need... need me is labeled wrong, the true name of that song is stupidly long lol)
I'd argue that we should change the names AND find a way to make more space on the engine, but maybe that's not possible.
Well, here's an idea: allow very long names, but if the names are too long we'd shorten them on the engine in a specific way. I'd suggest to include as much of the start of the name as we can, then " ... " and the last 5ish characters. So Piano Concerto 1 'ANTI-ARES' (For Kirby) could be written as "Piano Concerto 1 ... Kirby)" in the song list. Another alternative would be to simply have a shortened display name that would show in the song menu/list, with the full name showing on the results screen. Of course there would still be finite length, so we should choose names that are short while still being properly descriptive (which, IMO, for classical music, means having enough information for someone to find the exact song used in the chart).

Last edited by qqwref; 11-3-2011 at 07:15 PM..
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote