View Single Post
Old 06-2-2011, 06:01 PM   #145
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Post one "Did ya know" fact about yourself.

NYC is still baller -- it just doesn't have to be Wall St. In many Wall St gigs you'll find yourself working long hours. Wake up at ass-thirty in the morning, go to work, and leave the building when it's dark out later, sleep (or try to), and repeat. Cue the health problems and existential crises.

While at work, you'll encounter some bright, fun people but also plenty of complete douchebags and those who will throw blame at one another because taking responsibility is oftentimes too risky. Everything usually comes down to that high-variance bonus, and it's extremely addicting to suddenly have that massive influx of money.

It almost feels like a grotesque MMO to me. People grind for the higher numbers for the sake of having the higher numbers. You don't really have a lot of extra time to actually put the numbers to any use.

Or, you can take the optimal hypersmoothing route out, which is what I am trying to do. Earn just enough to cover expenses and have enough left over to buy whatever the hell you want, but not so much that you'll go crazy and burn down the house. That way you get a perfect balance between time, money, utility, expectations, mental/physical health, and social life. I've seriously put a lot of thought into this, and I can safely say that very few on Wall St do the same.

Yeah, you can argue that nabbing a $500k+ gig would be amazing, but honestly I don't need that to be happy, nor would I want to work my ass off to even qualify for that. I just want a fun, challenging job, lots of free time, enough money to cover my loans and rent (cumulatively about $3k/month), and enough left over to blow on fun dinners and new computers and an occasional vacation/trip wherever I want in the world. I don't need fancy houses/cars/etc.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote