View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #68
Treia
FFR Player

Default Re: Mainstream Music

Thanks for your words, Litholia!

You're right, I didn't let my parent influence me negatively. Yes, they way the raised me does give a bad taste in my mouth, and usually the mouths of people who I tell the story, but I love my parents more than anything. Instead of taking their influence in the easy (negative) way as a kid, I took the cards I've been dealt and made those influence me positively.

The main message I was trying to get across is that we all have influences, and I wasn't trying to neuter music as influence-less (because that's not possible). However, to say someone is the way they are and why they do what they do ("corrupted") because of music doesn't seem logical. I never made my choices, or geared my personality, to reflect the music I listen to. I just don't see why anyone would say, "I do this because of the music I listen to," or "I am this way for the music I want to listen to," so to say it contributes isn't something I'm entirely comprehending. If we had a life couch or were in therapy, does the therapist ask what music we listen to that might diagnose our personality issues? I don't even think that would be a professional diagnosis. Since there are people who are indifferent to music, it's not a legitimate source of "corruption". Also, when I brought up Mark Chapman, not everyone listens to rap, so how would a therapist suggest the "right" music for someone to correct "corruption"? Will he suggest "good" music? Therapists are the only one who know good music? Is the music you're listening to responsible why you're a good person ( does your music really tell you to be the positive and respectable individual you may be)? If so, should everyone listen to what you're listening to? This is relevant to the topic because it is all about mainstream music, and hip-hop/rap (a very mainstream format) was the leading music form in my life. Discussing the psychological and sociological implications of hip-hop/rap is just as relevant what makes it good/bad since it is a recognized art form and an immediate mainstream genre.

Another thing to notice is that not everyone is the way they are forever. To say that we're identical to the person we were years ago doesn't seem very possible. I believe people can grow and change, such as their interests, type of people they like (as friends, or romantically), and even their music interests. Fractions of ourselves grow and change sometimes on a daily basis, and sometimes more over the long-term.

I'm not saying that everyone will eventually be perfect, respectful, and grateful people. There are criminals, and will always will be criminals. But to say someone is doing it right by being respectful now doesn't mean they're certainly not going to be a criminal or do something that people think is a very negative choice for them in the future (happy people commit suicide). Same thing goes for someone who is "corrupted" in the here and now.

Last edited by Treia; 05-24-2011 at 09:04 AM..
Treia is offline   Reply With Quote