Thread: May 21 2011
View Single Post
Old 05-2-2011, 06:38 PM   #128
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Default Re: May 21 2011

Another thread dominated by Reach. That was an awesome post, and not because I'm some sort of atheist, only because you reflected how egotistic some people are. I wonder who'll post here 11:59pm on May 21st.

Really not important, regarding the time discussion:

As for the second crystal thing someone said earlier. To be honest, sun dials were some of the first clocks. Philosophers had nothing better to do back in the day then to figure stuff out by hand, like they did with pi. I truly think they just kept finding things to use until they could come up with a way to organize it into a year. It probably took a long time, but look at America's metric system. Why do we use feet and not meters?

As for decimals being based on the number ten, it's not silly when you think about what point in our time it was created. They had nothing else to count on back in the day, why not their fingers?

A lot of people in ancient history spent years figuring stuff out, so when some realized a second, as defined by the post in this thread (go look at it), can be made into minutes and hours to make a day, they made up some bs to make the year. Over time someone realized we needed the leap year because the earth takes 365 1/4 days to make a full revolution. All trial and error really. I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of years from now we'll need to offset our clocks by a second.
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote