View Single Post
Old 02-5-2011, 06:16 PM   #76
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Default Re: The Official FFR Picture Dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedolad View Post
Gonna have to disagree with the triplets one. Only because the rhythm for a triplet is completely different rhythm than the one posted. The rhythm you put is

1e&, 2e&. (if you know music)

Triplets are 3 notes stretched over a beat (or 2 depending on note lengths etc.) in 3's.

So I think the correct name would be Triple.
I would agree, but reading music and labeling stepmania patterns are two different things in my opinion. You don't call alternating notes in music trills, and you don't call a continuous roll of three notes arpeggio. I think triplets are fine, as they are a more notable pattern in stepmania, versus 12ths.

Edit: I looked up arpeggio in wikipedia to make sure I was using the correct term, and I found this bit at the end. It's pretty interesting. Kommisar?
Quote:
In early video game music, arpeggios were often the only way to play a chord since sound hardware usually had a very limited number of oscillators, or voices. Instead of tying them all up to play one chord, one channel could be used to play an arpeggio, leaving the rest for drums, bass, or sound effects. Examples include the music of games and demos on Commodore 64's SID chip which only had three oscillators, see also Chiptune.
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote