View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Starshot
/DJS\
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Starshot Send a message via MSN to Starshot Send a message via Yahoo to Starshot
Default Re: [UK Hardcore] Is It Really You?

UK Hardcore composer and vet here. If this following criticism feels too harsh, it's because it is.

First and formost, as a person who spins, that highpass filter is going to throw a LOT of DJs off mainly because they'll have to readjust their mixing levels at an extremely fast rate. Other than that, it's a fine intro and you did a swell job with the occational melodic bassdrum hits.

The bassline is far too stereo when compared to the leads. Typically, you want your leads mixed in the outside areas and your bassline inside. It results in a much, much cleaner mix that sounds a lot more polyphonic, rather than a homophonic mesh of sound. However, with this tune it works fairly well, even if the mid range is a little jumbled. Also, (and this is something I've learned throughout the ages), don't EQ your bassline into lower frequencies, as it's implied that the headphones/subwoofers in question will cover it.

Compositionally, the track is fine. It's a nice trancey-like hardcore tune. It's not heavily melody driven like some of the more modern stuff, but it seems to tread the lines between Freeform and UK. Good stuff.

On the premastering side.... eh, I'm not going to go into high extremes (because you stated you're new to UK hardcore), but, if there's one thing I want you to take away from this criticism, it's this:
LAYER.

THE.

BASS.

DRUM.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when making UK hardcore is simply not making that drum hard enough. Yes, the synths are important, but if the drum doesn't cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter, you lose that energy that makes hardcore what it is. Also, I'd like to see the leads EQed a lot higher, but that's just my personal taste.

I certainly don't mean to come off as a COMPLETE hardass with this criticism (granted, I am), but only to help you become a better artist. Trust me, you did a good job, it's just those really small and fine things that set you above the rest.