View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: Illiterate America

Well, if we look at the trends, from studies I have read, literacy is about as high now as it was 30 and 40 years ago, maybe even higher in certain areas (e.g. quantitative skills).

So if America is illiterate, it has always been illiterate.

Is it even possible to change this without increasing the intelligence of the country? Probably, but there's a limit. A certain portion of the population is always going to be illiterate; their IQ is too low to ever be literate. Many people that are also borderline in intelligence are never going to do well enough in school to become literate, and most of their parents are unintelligent as well.

The easiest way to increase literacy would be to...increase the intelligence of the country as a whole, but good luck putting into motion a plan that would restrict reproduction in those that are less able.

So yeah, it's a problem in that the greater the portion of illiterate people in the population, the greater the portion of people unable to do skilled work, which contributes to GDP, quality of living, etc.

However, given that America is pretty much on top of the totem pole in these terms, I can't seriously see it as a problem, at least speaking relative to other countries. I would worry more about the literacy rates in poor countries, which would severely hamper their ability to develop skilled work in medicine and business etc.

Last edited by Reach; 11-29-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote