View Single Post
Old 09-9-2009, 06:39 AM   #74
Shaydow
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Impossible to answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
If it ends, what's on the other side of that border?
I don't think they are following it.

Quote:
You can't say "there's always something on the other side" because, there is no "other side" of the folded space. No matter what direction one travels, they always end up at the point they began at. That was the whole point of the analogy.

If the space was sitting in something, then obviously that space wasn't the entirety of all space, because there is still more space for it to be in. If we take the whole universe, there is no space "beyond" it because there is no "beyond" it, because we define the universe as the entirety of all space.

Also, there is nothing beyond the universe because that literally means that there isn't a beyond the universe. The universe isn't in a vacuum of nothingness, because it is impossible to be inside of something which does not exist.

I understand your folded space analogy, but your talking about it being infinite from OUR point of view. Someone used the universe as a cup analogy before, said yadda yadda yadda its filled with all our stuff and that's it, lets bend it so it becomes a mobius strip or what have you and tada now it's infinite! . . . . ya, to US. However, it's still in existence somewhere, we just can't see that place from our own perspective. Something exists on the outside of that cup, and if we reach the end of that and there is a barrier, then something is on the other side of that.

I know it makes you feel much more insignificant and meaningless when you look at it that way, but I don't see how logic can dictate things just STOP. Logic would dictate to me that things never stop, they go on in all directions for ever.

Just a thought.

Peace,
Shay
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. " ~ W.S
Shaydow is offline   Reply With Quote