Thread: lol english
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #118
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: lol english

Let's do this the nice way, because you're giving her a lot of grief over this when she clearly doesn't care anymore.

First of all, you have to understand teachers are glorified babysitters who get underpaid for the amount of troubles they have to undergo in order to become teachers. Most of them are probably people like me--people who enjoy teaching other people the things they know. They probably didn't know babysitting teenagers all day would be so bad.

Second of all, along with this, understand that teachers don't like being wrong. They're the ones teaching you after all.

I had a super-long post written up explaining the intricacies of the English language, but I realize now that there is a very easy solution to all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 1
Her response:
"That's because it was a VERB. The sentence went with the one before it, which was referring to Danielle's ability to recollect information from memory. It's something she does, which means it is not a noun but in fact a verb.

Thanks,
Flanary"
http://www.answers.com/topic/gift

gift n: A talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination.

Danielle's gift is a talent. She's able to recall information from memory. She is gifted with this talent, and the talent is a gift. Her gift is a noun. When she uses her gift, is she gifting? No. Even if the previous sentence had her gifting others with her gift, in this sentence, that gifted gift is still a noun. I also highly doubt the previous sentence is written this way because it would be incredibly confusing and written in an attempt to screw people up. Even though I've never seen the question, I assume the previous sentence reads something like "She can recall things from memory really easily." So to say "That must be an extremely valuable gift!" in reference to this gift utilizes the "talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination" definition of the word. In fact, you can substitute in "talent", a word that has no verb form, and the sentence still reads properly -- "That must be an extremely valuable talent!"

It seems like this whole confusion is over one of the definitions of a word she's not familiar with. The funny part about it is that this is one of the basic forms of the word, whereas the verb form of the word is the archaic form.

Last edited by Squeek; 06-10-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote