View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #1230
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: World of Warcraft

Quote:
By the way, I hugely disagree with rolling on lower armor classes in your main spec roll. It's just not fair.
Upgrades are upgrades, and it isn't actually a given that the best-in-slot paladin healer plate (which will have sta/int, spellpower, and/or crit/haste/mp5) will actually be -better- than a piece of say, caster cloth with sta/int, spellpower, and/or crit/haste/mp5)

To be completely honest with you, the most compelling fix for this issue would be to make all healer gear -cloth- and give druids/shamans/paladins a boost to their armour gained from items commensurate with the armour boost from leather/mail/plate slapped on as a free addition to a deep-healing tree talent.

Taking a quick look at the item rankings on maxdps.com for holy paladins, the best-in-slot, non-tier helmet, shoulders, and bracers are mail, and the best-in-slot non-tier, pants and boots are cloth. By forbidding holy paladins to roll on mail or cloth unless nobody else using mail or cloth wants them pretty much just holds them back from getting their best-in-slot.

If your and my best-in-slot item are the -same item- why should you get precedence over me to roll on it? Because I can 'settle' for more pieces of worse gear than you? Underneath those best-in-slot mail/cloth items in several cases are more mail and cloth items. How far down do I have to settle? The top -4- shoulders for holy paladins are mail, mail, plate, leather

Quote:
Our guild does silent-bid DKP, and I don't understand why Devonin hates it so much.
I don't so much hate DKP as I do hate ever playing with the kind of people for whom dkp is at all necessary. I play with reasonable, mature, logical people who can just -talk- about the drop and come to a perfectly acceptable conclusion as to who ought to be rolling on the gear.

If I roll in for one fight and something I want drops, and someone else is jumping for joy because they've been trying to 2 months to get that drop, I'm going to just -not roll on it- because I'm not a jerk, and I don't need gear so bad as to screw someone out of something they've been really trying to get. The natural consequence of "Not being a greedy jerk" is that the people who show up the most see the most drops, and thus get the most drops, so the ones who "show up a lot" get the best geared the fastest -anyway- without needing to give them a point system.

To me the DKP system is necessary if your raids contain a) greedy people, b) unreasonable people and/or you have a raid leader who has control issues.

In the whole time I've been playing WoW, I've never been in a guild using DKP, I've never run with a guild using DKP and I've never had ANY problems, let alone arguments, over any piece of gear from anything. Your mileage clearly vaies.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote