View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #98
4_teddybears
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Post Re: How to get better at FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsky139 View Post

1. There should be some notes about focus and distractions. This game requires a ridiculous amount of concentration and a conscious effort to keep yourself focused......

2. There are a number of different skills that require separate practice, in my opinion......
I agree. Different practice is required for different aspects.

(1)Time spent playing the game will Improve your ability to read the arrows.

(2)If you are new to using your fingers in the way required, pushing buttons will seem awkward at first, especialy trills with one hand; even more so if it is your left hand (for a right handed person). It will probably be a lot easier if you have played a muical instrument like the piano. If not, it will take time to gain dexterity in your fingers. I don't think it is so much about building up the muscles, but more about being able to control them precisely.

(3)I do not believe that time alone is enough to improve your PA. This is about technique and concentration. You may be able to happily FC a song in any environment or whilst chatting to someone, but it a calm environment with no distractions you will certainly get a better PA.

Now, here's the technique, asuming that you have sufficient dexterity and co-ordination between you hands and brain, I believe the best single piece of advice that anyone can give you is where to look when playing. Actually, more specific, where to focus.
The difference being that you do need to look or be aware of more than one thing, but you can do this while focusing on something else:

Your focus should be on the line of stationery arrows, and possibly track back and forth horizontally on this line, although I find that just keeping focused on one arrow, will usually enable me to hit all the others perfect too.

Don't try looking hard at one arrow and telling yourself not to look anywhere else though; you are likely to miss a perfect because you were not aware of the arrow's vertical position in you peripheral vision.

You need to be aware of the arrows as they come up, but you should not follow individual arrows with your eyes. Following the arrow will make you unaware of when to hit it and you will probably hit it early.
On easy songs, you will probably find yourself following the arrows up, but this is ok as long as your focus is on the stationery line. Although you are following the arrow, your eyes should jump ahead at the last moment and focus on the respective stator.

(4) It is also important to listen to the music, to get you hands moving in the correct rhythm. unless it's a song that is deliberately off beat (I can only think of one), In which case you may wish to turn off your sound.

(5) Though you can play with you hands resting on the desk or laptop, It is sometimes necessary to to re-adjust your hands. Whenever I do this while trying to AAA, More often than not, I hit a good. For this reason It it is important to have your hands in a comfortable position and also be sitting comfortably before starting the game.

During harder parts of a song, it sometimes helps to lift your hands away from the desk/laptop. This can be done without any disturbance to your PA. You may want to play the whole song with your hands removed (away from the keypad, not resting on anything. Not lopped off!) if it gives more freedom.

There are many ways you can setup your keys and hold you hands, but I think these are of no great importance. The most important thing is to keep you hands relaxed and don't get tense at harder parts of the song.

Thank-you for reading, I hope that this has helped.
<jokes>Most of this material was taken from the bestselling paperback "FFR for dummies". Credit to the authors.</jokes>

Last edited by 4_teddybears; 09-24-2008 at 09:08 PM..
4_teddybears is offline   Reply With Quote