Thread: 250 words
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: 250 words

It was after I made the original post that I realized I was missing the point by checking the word count as I went along and adding in a nonsense sentence at the end instead of changing the language in the rest of the post to fit the 250 words. I read the opening post again, and I can't believe I missed how it mentioned that you shouldn't add little sentences at the end to adhere to the word count. On another note still semi-related, I usually don't speak in complete sentences without pausing or adding extraneous words like “yeah”. That's one thing it has helped me with.

I use OpenOffice, and I checked a few things in its word count tool. For instance, a hyphenated word like “twenty-three” is counted as two words. Other tools probably count a hyphenated word as two words, because there is not a space between them. I used four hyphens in my previous post here, so with this noted, the word count could easily be 246. This makes me wonder what else could be different between tools that causes the count to be 245. With this tool, numbers and abbreviations count as words. Oddly, “^^” is not a word, yet “=D” is. Neither should count as words. I believe that hyphenated words should only be counted once. Therefore, this post should have 253 words at the end according to this program's tool to be a “correct” 250 words by my standards. I'm probably missing something else.