View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #43
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien
Default Re: are violent video games ruining the youth of tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouch123 View Post
No. Violent video games are there for our entertainment. Nobody in their right mind would act on anything they see in a video game.

Oh, and to the first poster, you\'re full of ****. Could you at least provide a credible source for that information? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Ratings are there for a reason. Though I can look the other way if you want to play an M rated game, but you\'re only about 13 or 14.
I'm not sure if you're using the backslash intentionally, but you don't need an escape character here; apostrophes register just fine alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula219
You're wrong. There are MANY games rated AO, they just don't sell those kinds of games in EB games and such. But that's really off topic.

The instant you take blame off the child who committed a crime, then anything in the child's life can be blamed. The real truth is, nothing made the kid pull the trigger but himself. The media doesn't want to cover this kind of thing, because no American wants to hear about their kids being ****ed up in the head, but a lot are and if they commit a crime they should be punished just like an adult should.
This is completely true. For a game to be rated AO, it has to be insanely graphic (e.g. showing graphic sex scenes), and most stores don't want to have a reputation of selling such things. I imagine they would be easy to find on the Internet, however...

There was one game that got bumped up to an AO rating from M; it was one of the Grand Theft Auto games. It might have been San Andreas, but I'm not sure. Whatever it was, it was the one with the "Hot Coffee" mod; the reason it was bumped up is because this "mod" was actually programmed into the game, but didn't have a way inside the game to trigger it. At least, that's what I understand from what I've been told. Because it was in the game, however, the game was required to be bumped up (this "mod" was a sex scene).

Also, the part about taking the blame off of the kid and then placing it anywhere else is true. People are too quick to forgive children for their actions; I at least was able to know the consequences of all of my possible actions by age 13. And once you forgive the kid either because he's young and impressionable or because of something else, any negative influence can receive the blame. If it's well-known that the kid's parents were horrible drug addicts or something, then the blame may be placed on them. But, if there's nothing completely off-the-wall, things like video games get the blame.