Old 07-4-2007, 12:09 PM   #28
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Logical Fallacy and You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
And yet that doesn't mean that every statement is a result of the petitio principii, which is what you basically went on to say Vendetta. Have you labelled that one yet Devonin?
I think that what Vendetta was getting at is saying that begging the question is very often done through circular logic, which is one of the ways you can beg the question. it doesn't need another label, the one is just a subtype of the other.

Quote:
What if I appeal to the Probability Fallacy but then say I'm just appealing to Chaos Theory?
Well...you don' so much 'appeal' to fallacies, as you do fall afoul of them. I'm not sure how the appeal of yours would work...The appeal to probability is when you conclude that because it is possible for something to happen, that its happening is inevitable. (This is a fallacy because there is no way to prove that it is inevitable simply because there is a chance that it will happen) While chaos theory (correct me if I'm wrong) tends to state that outcomes are inherantly unpredictable, which seems to -support- why the appeal to probability is a fallacy.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote