View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #50
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Homosexual Marriage

Yeah, at this point I think what we really need to do is make a greater effort to distinguish between "The religious sacrament of marriage" and "The legal status of married" when making this or that argument about them, and we'll do wonders to avoid whatever this Snickers Controversy is (I suppose I should check that Legendary Threads section maybe?)

I think it's pretty safe to say that far more people support homosexual rights to the legal status of married than would ever support homosexual rights to the religious sacrament of marriage, and I think that pretty much ends the discussion on the matter until something further happens in the political arena in some of our countries.

And as to Wlfwnd's post about distinguishing between churches, fair enough, generally when talking about religion and politics, especially in the united states, it's christianity that is intended, but bearing in mind that this is primarily a political discussion not a religious one, the state doesn't recognise any religious marriage ceremony as legally binding except insofar as people getting married in a religious service also happen to sign all the necessary legal documents too.

The state does not, and should not care one whit in what manner you carry out a religious ceremony, they just care that you both sign a document with witnesses.