Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   In your FACE, parents. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=59789)

Tibs 02-7-2007 02:29 PM

In your FACE, parents.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070207/...ames_vision_dc

Quote:

SINGAPORE, Feb 7 (Reuters Life!) - Video game addicts, rejoice: U.S. researchers have found that playing is actually good for your eyes, and despite all those dire warnings from your parents, it won't make you blind.

A study by the University of Rochester showed that people who played action video games for a few hours a day over the course of a month improved their vision by about 20 percent.

"Action video game play changes the way our brains process visual information," Daphne Bavelier, professor of brain and cognitive sciences, said in the study published on the university's Web site, www.rochester.edu, on Tuesday.

"These games push the human visual system to the limits and the brain adapts to it. That learning carries over into other activities and possibly everyday life."

Bavelier and a graduate student tested college students who had played very few, if any, video games in the last year.

Test subjects were given an eye test similar to the one used at regular eye clinics and then divided into two groups -- one played shoot-em-up action games for an hour a day while the control group played a less visually complex game.

Their vision was tested after the study, with those who played the action game scoring better in the eye test.

The researchers said their findings could help patients with several types of visual defects.

Wlfwnd91 02-7-2007 02:32 PM

Re: In your FACE, parents.

Haha, yea, I read about that not long ago. It's freaking awesome. I thought my eyesite started getting a little better lately. Hurray for constant FFR!

Squeek 02-7-2007 02:44 PM

My prescription on these lenses keeps improving.

Nice to know this is helping.

wickedawesomeful 02-7-2007 04:04 PM

I have got to show this to my mom. Maybe she'll let me on here more.

SethSquall 02-7-2007 04:12 PM

Awesome. Just awesome. I've had my parents lecture me about this once or twice when I was younger.

Devilution 02-7-2007 04:14 PM

DUDE this is sweet. I thought playing 6 hours a day was hurting my vision

FluorescentArmy 02-7-2007 04:16 PM

I play CS quite a lot. So, I should expect a gradual change in my ability to see? My left eye by itself is quite blurry.

lumphoboextreme 02-7-2007 04:23 PM

haha nice. i havent noticed a change in my vision either way. but good to know the more i play the better it gets.

Ruu 02-7-2007 04:26 PM

Lies, hasn't helped me. :(

DDR_Jerred 02-7-2007 04:49 PM

I've remained at 20/20 my whole life :(

chickendude 02-7-2007 04:50 PM

FFR is NOT an action game

Pumble 02-7-2007 04:51 PM

I'd like to see the same idea except the researchers study nerds who play wow for ten hours a day.

lumphoboextreme 02-7-2007 04:52 PM

they could study me. :D i play a whole lot of FFR.

Ice wolf 02-7-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickendude (Post 1166371)
FFR is NOT an action game

It is for me.

HIIIYYYYAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheRapingDragon 02-7-2007 07:54 PM

I guess I don't need these glasses anymore.

Awesome.

Bahamut-X 02-7-2007 08:01 PM

Every since I started to play more video games than I used to my vision has gone down ALOT. I need to be like 5 feet from the microwave to even read the time without my contacts in.

But whatever you say Mr. Tibs.

Billydude 02-7-2007 08:09 PM

Lol that's funny. I wonder if FFR improves your eyesight XD.

Loot You 02-7-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahamut-X (Post 1167176)
Every since I started to play more video games than I used to my vision has gone down ALOT. I need to be like 5 feet from the microwave to even read the time without my contacts in.

But whatever you say Mr. Tibs.

Seconded.

I went from being able to see my comp screen and make out words from 2 feet away to literally needing to be 6 inches away in the past year of heavy gaming.

Upside: I can see through walls now.

Maid 02-7-2007 08:13 PM

It might improve your peripheral vision, how quickly you react etc, but staring at your monitor without a break WILL make your vision worse.

Ramengan 02-7-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maid (Post 1167220)
It might improve your peripheral vision, how quickly you react etc, but staring at your monitor without a break WILL make your vision worse.

Seconded. This did seem kinda obvious to me. It's also good to have a light on when playing video games or on the computer. I should follow my own advice. I can already feel the effects of staring at my screen in the dark.