Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Are people cool or do they suck? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=145360)

Funnygurl555 08-28-2016 11:30 PM

Are people cool or do they suck?

hey i know im never around here heh but i wanted to ask something

Do you think people are fundamentally good or bad, and why? Like I think that people are good but selfish, and bad things happen because people have conflicting desires.

In my free time, I think about this a lot, which I guess is kinda weird, but people kinda interest me. Also, I know labels like "good" and "bad" are super broad and that we'll have to define things in order to have a serious discussion, but lol, i made this a chit chat thread for a reason. but yeah whatever if you wanna do that let's do it i'm down.

And if you think that people are neither good nor bad but something else, feel free to say that too.

thanks

Mourningfall 08-28-2016 11:35 PM

Re: Are people cool or do they suck?

This is Critical thinking material.

People suck as much as your attitude towards them. theres a multitude of varying personalities on this planet and very few of them can interact successfully without the assumption the other sucks. it's all perspective and finding people you can meaningfully connect with.

Lets look at personality traits as letters of the alphabet. very, very racist letters of the alphabet.

A to Z

you're an F, you like other F's, but for some reason you can't understand why J sucks so much? why does J suck so much, was it born that way? or did it just learn to be a J over time? Who knows; but the point is, it's all perspective and finding others with common personality traits and interests

korny 08-28-2016 11:39 PM

I think people for the most part have good intentions and are inherently good.

Let's take Bmah for example, he deleted a comment I made earlier today in reference to his poor attempts to define the difference between free speech and the rules while then proceeding to give an infraction on the arbitrary grounds of staff baiting. Is he cool? not at all. Does he suck? probably. Regardless, I still made attempts to try to understand the thought processes governing his modding. I am still awaiting a response from him but I suppose only time will tell if he will extend me the courtesy of responding to it. Given the circumstances it is likely he will arbitrarily assert that this too is staff baiting rendering me helpless to his control over the situation.

Anyway, hope that helps

devonin 08-28-2016 11:47 PM

"Free Speech" The thing in the United States Constitution that guarantees that the US Government will not pass laws restricting your ability to speak freely.
"Forum Rules" The thing on this private forum that has nothing to do with Free Speech, and actually supercedes your right to free speech even if this website counted as being America which it doesn't.
We can make a rule that says you have to type only in rhyming couplets or we permaban you, and that has literally nothing to do with free speech.

There, easy peasy.

I think in general, "people" aren't inherently anything, to get back on topic. I don't think "most" people are anything that can be so generalised.

Persons are usually good, People usually suck. Because once you stop engaging as persons and start acting in a group, or behind a veil of any kind of anonymity or freedom from consequences, people more often give in to the temptation to suck than they would if they were actually face to face with the other person.

korny 08-28-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4469770)
"Free Speech" The thing in the United States Constitution that guarantees that the US Government will not pass laws restricting your ability to speak freely.

"Forum Rules" The thing on this private forum that has nothing to do with Free Speech, and actually supercedes your right to free speech even if this website counted as being America which it doesn't.

We can make a rule that says you have to type only in rhyming couplets or we permaban you, and that has literally nothing to do with free speech.

There, easy peasy.

The arbitration surrounding the upholding of forum rules in reference to free speech supersedes the distinctions you're trying to make here devo. The cool people funnygurl is referring to would agree unanimously.

devonin 08-28-2016 11:54 PM

Lets keep the thread on topic Korny. If you want to chat about this, I have multiple pieces of contact info available.

leonid 08-29-2016 12:34 AM

I think everyone and everything sucks

drizzleRomanceGirl 08-29-2016 01:54 AM

i don't believe in good or bad; we're all just people with different personalities and we only see people as good or bad because that's our opinion of them or how they act

Nullifidian 08-29-2016 05:38 AM

If you start off in the position that all people suck, you can only be pleasantly surprised when they don't.

Dynam0 08-29-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korny (Post 4469760)
I think people for the most part have good intentions and are inherently good.

Let's take Bmah for example, he deleted a comment I made earlier today in reference to his poor attempts to define the difference between free speech and the rules while then proceeding to give an infraction on the arbitrary grounds of staff baiting. Is he cool? not at all. Does he suck? probably. Regardless, I still made attempts to try to understand the thought processes governing his modding. I am still awaiting a response from him but I suppose only time will tell if he will extend me the courtesy of responding to it. Given the circumstances it is likely he will arbitrarily assert that this too is staff baiting rendering me helpless to his control over the situation.

Anyway, hope that helps

Lmao grow up dude

On topic: I agree with what fg is saying, the level of selfishness in a person perhaps loosely measures how "bad" they are (without debating the semantics of what it means to be "good" or "bad"). Seeking out your own wishes and desires is fine as long as it is at minimal expense to others, there should be a give-and-take. It's clear that people are both fundamentally good and bad; what I find more interesting is seeing if there is justification for the way people are. "Is it his/her fault that they're an asshole?" This will likely just become a debate on ownership for mental illness similar to that caverino thread rip

Dinglesberry 08-29-2016 07:24 AM

Everyone is an asshole who is motivated to act good for their own personal gain.

Contrapasso 08-29-2016 07:29 AM

everyone sucks until proven otherwise
imo there's no reason to trust anyone; you run the risk of that trust being used against you for someone else's personal gain

Charu 08-29-2016 07:34 AM

I'm the opposite. I treat everyone as if they're good. I will only start acting differently when I see the first strike, or hints at it.

I'm a very trusting person, much to my dismay. I don't trust 100% of course, but y'know, first impressions are absolutely everything.

Contrapasso 08-29-2016 07:34 AM

they say opposites attract, bud......

Contrapasso 08-29-2016 07:36 AM

does people STINK or COOL

Charu 08-29-2016 07:38 AM

I think they're pretty COOL

Otherwise my job would be a nightmare.

TheThong 08-29-2016 07:53 AM

I normally think of everyone as good, until they do something that tells / shows me otherwise. Like at work, I'm super kind to all the patients/family members but I've had a few that have been extremely rude for no reason, and end up viewing them in a different light.

Ghost_Medley 08-29-2016 07:55 AM

i can say that i personally suck

drizzleRomanceGirl 08-29-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley (Post 4469843)
i can say that i personally suck

That's not true. :)

Izzy 08-29-2016 09:16 AM

I don't think humans are fundamentally good or bad. Mostly because good and bad are subjective human concepts so how could those things exist as fundamental properties of humans prior to humans conceiving them.

Humans do have a tendency to prioritize their own survival even at the expense of others. This natural habit can be broken with critical thinking though so if we considered natural human instincts to be bad then I guess humans are born bad.