Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Flash Flash Fitness (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=145275)

FlashHarry 08-23-2016 02:29 AM

Flash Flash Fitness

Hey,

strange question this but...

It's my mum's birthday coming up and she's asked for things to help with her fitness. Nothing too strenuous. So I've been looking at dance fitness videos for sale online, then I had a thought. What if I could get her a dance mat?

y'know, like this sort of thing:

The thing is she doesn't have a console, natch. So I was wondering whether it would be possible to rig it up to her PC and get her to play FFR, I think she'll really love it and it will get her moving.

Anyone have experience of this? Apologies for my lack of technical know how.

igotrhythm 08-23-2016 03:04 AM

Re: Flash Flash Fitness

The main problem with that is that FFR really doesn't cater to pad play, though there are a few index friendly files in the upper ranges. Namely, the "proper method" of standing on a pad, feet on the left and right arrows, will quickly cause you to boo out.

A better option would probably be to look on Stepmania for pad files, particularly in the lower end of the difficulty spectrum. So stuff like Stepping Stones Of Stepmania or Plaguemix, or the beginner files that ship with SM5. Those should be good until you figure out how to install more. Stepmania itself should also come with a tutorial for how to rig up a dance mat.

Check the Stepmania forum and the Simulator Files sub-forum for more information on that. Best of luck on her foot-stomping journey to fitness!

Edit: This activity gets very strenuous as you improve. So it might not be the best choice depending on her athleticism. Talk with a doctor before starting any fitness regimen, yada yada.

PhantomPuppy 08-23-2016 03:07 AM

i bought a dance pad to play SM with. played it for a solid 15 minutes and never touched it again lol.

TheRapingDragon 08-23-2016 03:30 AM

Just get Wii fit.

MixMasterLar 08-23-2016 05:06 AM

Stepmania >>>>> Wii Fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotrhythm (Post 4467895)
or Plaguemix

Oh man, I loved those. Last I played in like 2012 they actually still held up as far as casual play was concerned.

Dinglesberry 08-23-2016 07:25 AM

Boys why are we tellin a potential FFR player to play stepmania lolz

Should be like "Hell yea boi play some FFR, get her to try RATO too, and record it l0l0l"

Kraezymann 08-23-2016 07:41 AM

Because FFR is a flash game, I have no idea if its even possible to get it to read a USB controller, so it could be very difficult to play FFR like that. If you want to use the pad though, I would highly recommend getting a stable version of stepmania and getting official DDR/ITG pad packs from z-i-v and looking up r21freak style pad packs as well. If you want some great links to start with, check out Gundam-Dude's thread here and find "Pad Singles". Anything with a star means there are files suitable for a beginner, so you should definitely check those out.

Dinglesberry 08-23-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraezymann (Post 4467929)
Because FFR is a flash game, I have no idea if its even possible to get it to read a USB controller, so it could be very difficult to play FFR like that.

It is possible - research "xinput" and "dinput" if you are curious - FFR doesn't have it programmed/set up though if I recall correctly, since no one has huge pad interest, but AS2 for Flash supports it.

Probably going to have to use xpadder or some similar program like joy2key to map the x/d-inputs -> keyboard events.

MooMoo_Cowfreak 08-23-2016 08:41 AM

FFR has no files that were designed for pad, where Stepmania has many. Mapping FFR to a pad would also be much, much more trouble than most people are willing to go through, especially if it's someone's mother.

Also, there is tons of SM discussion on this forum, it's not like recommending SM is taboo around here lol.

Mahou 08-23-2016 09:39 AM

Buy her a gym membership with a few sessions from a personal trainer.

Dinglesberry 08-23-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooMoo_Cowfreak (Post 4467934)
much, much more trouble than most people are willing to go through, especially if it's someone's mother.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Izzy 08-23-2016 09:53 AM

FFR and pad play won't ever work because the game gives you boos for hitting notes when there aren't any. When playing on a pad you want to keep your feet at the previous location until a new note that needs that foot comes up. Doing this in FFR is equivalent to holding down keys which will cause you to instantly fail a song.

Stepmania is a better option for DDR simulation.

TheRapingDragon 08-23-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4467917)
Stepmania >>>>> Wii Fit.

Look at the intended target. Most mothers who want to get fit will likely find Wii Fit a lot more fun and enjoyable than Stepmania.

In-fact, even if your mum specifically said 'I want to dance to get fit', I'd probably recommend Just Dance over Stepmania. Or a pole dancing class.

TheThong 08-23-2016 10:35 AM

Yeah wii fit would probably be more suitable. Can't hurt to try ddr though!

What about zumba? xD