Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tablets. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=128693)

Hateandhatred 01-26-2013 10:37 AM

Tablets.

I know, these topics have seen the day too many times since the release of tablets... But I still don't understand what are the main advantages of owning one.

Can you guys enlighten me and discuss the topic one more time?

LongGone 01-26-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Tablets.

dAnceguy117 01-26-2013 12:08 PM

To me, tablets are a perfect middle ground between smartphones and laptops. I bring my tablet to class so I can go over any slides I didn't fully absorb before the teacher moved on. I also prefer using a tablet while watching TV over holding a laptop, because the laptop would restrict my ability to move.

All the while, tablets have larger screens and often more processing power than smartphones. Tablets are ideal for light web usage, which comprises around half of my computer use in general.

(Does this thread belong in Critical Thinking?)

Ohaider 01-26-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongGone (Post 3847288)

das cute

For me though, coming from someone who's never owned one, all I know is they provide better quality versions of apps (FL Studio HD vs FL Studio, iMaschine HD vs iMaschine) and a larger interface (obviously) to work with.

Wayward Vagabond 01-26-2013 04:44 PM

I've always preferred a smartphone or a laptop vs a tablet. I've never seen a real reason to own one when everything I'd do on a tablet I do on my phone

JohnRedWolf87 01-26-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 3847410)
I've always preferred a smartphone or a laptop vs a tablet. I've never seen a real reason to own one when everything I'd do on a tablet I do on my phone

This.
Also, tablets aren't known for their durability. The price vs. risk of breaking it is another thing that makes me not want to get one. They should make them more like the Wii-U controller.

sticklydude 01-28-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 (Post 3847413)
They should make them more like the Wii-U controller.

If a tablet released that was as thick as a Wii U controller, it would be harshly criticized. Thick and bulky kinda ruin the point of using a tablet. The point of a tablet is to be able to move more easily than a laptop, while having a bigger work space than a smartphone.

xThai 01-28-2013 04:42 PM

i have an ipad for school and its pretty useful for me.
i use it for reading textbooks (saves a lot of space and reduces the weight in my bag) and for rough work. it also use it for playing some games since its a lot better playing on the ipad vs an iphone.

DarknessXoXLight 01-28-2013 04:46 PM

I have an iPad and just like xThai said, I use it for school. I downloaded my text books onto it so I don't have to carry all my books and all my notes are on there as well. It makes for a great distraction during the classes I hate. :P I also double my tablet as a drawing tablet so it's useful to me in that sense.

Hateandhatred 01-28-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xThai (Post 3848637)
i have an ipad for school and its pretty useful for me.
i use it for reading textbooks (saves a lot of space and reduces the weight in my bag) and for rough work. it also use it for playing some games since its a lot better playing on the ipad vs an iphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight (Post 3848641)
I have an iPad and just like xThai said, I use it for school. I downloaded my text books onto it so I don't have to carry all my books and all my notes are on there as well. It makes for a great distraction during the classes I hate. :P I also double my tablet as a drawing tablet so it's useful to me in that sense.

I like the text book idea, it's pretty convincing, but why not just have a laptop?

Well virtually, to these comments, and the other ones... What can a tablet do that a laptop and/or a phone can't? Or what does it do so much better than these two that makes the spending well worth the money?

Thanks to everyone commenting so far ^^

Wayward Vagabond 01-28-2013 05:24 PM

The only thing a tablet has over a phone other than screen size is processing power. But if all you're going to be using it for is reading textbooks and writing notes then it doesn't really matter. I have my textbooks on my phone and I record my teachers with it and take notes on my phone also.

Kibblre 01-28-2013 05:31 PM

Jubeat.

Cavernio 01-28-2013 10:09 PM

I could have got at blackberry tablet for free if I subscribed to my local newspaper last fall.

Nullifidian 01-29-2013 04:59 AM

I thought you meant drawing tablets and I was like: well.. drawing obviously..
I don't really see the advantage of tablets that people are talking about though (like ipad etc). It's p much if I want to go for processing power I'd use laptop, if I want to go for small handheld convenience I'd go for phone or something. Tablets are a bit of everything but just not enough imo

DarknessXoXLight 01-29-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 3848653)
I like the text book idea, it's pretty convincing, but why not just have a laptop?

Well virtually, to these comments, and the other ones... What can a tablet do that a laptop and/or a phone can't? Or what does it do so much better than these two that makes the spending well worth the money?

Thanks to everyone commenting so far ^^

Well I do have a laptop but it has a 17 inch screen, so it's huge and I can't exactly bring it out during class. My teachers so far through my college experience have disliked laptops in classroom but I've noticed that they never say anything about tablets. I'd also have a much easier time dragging around the tablet rather than my laptop since it's heavy. I took my tablet to Canada last month instead of my laptop, twas a good decision~

Mainly, I wanted the tablet to double as a drawing tablet and to act as a kindle since I read a lot. The school benefits are just an added bonus. (sun)

Arkuski 01-29-2013 08:27 AM

Now that I think about it, tablet osu! would probably be pretty sweet

DarknessXoXLight 01-29-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuski (Post 3849150)
Now that I think about it, tablet osu! would probably be pretty sweet

Got that app. It's pretty dece.

DotKritic 01-29-2013 09:15 AM

I have a Kindle Fire. Only had it for about a month. I have Amazon Prime on it so I can rent [certain] books for a month for free (reading a book right now, but it wasn't a free one). Hulu Plus, Netflix, Pandora.

Games, Apps, Books, Music, Videos, Newsstand, Audiobooks, Web, Photos, Documents.

edit: I have a HP netbook (using right now) and bought it primarily for school so I wasn't lugging around my big laptop.

xThai 01-29-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 3848653)

the battery life on my laptop is so garbage compared to my ipad which is a lot better. usually when i go to the library i forget my charger every now and then and my laptop dies after like using it for 2 hours or so. my ipad can last about 8 hours. plus i got this for christmas so why not?

kommisar 01-29-2013 10:11 AM

ta blette