Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I got a 3!!! (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=123222)

iironiic 03-26-2012 07:27 PM

I got a 3!!!

... Out of 120 points on this years Putnam Exam (Top 33%). I don't know if I should be happy about that or not haha. I was really confident that I scored at least 20 points, but I guess this year was one of the harder exams. :(

For those that are unfamiliar, the Putnam Math Exam is a 12 question exam given to undergraduates nationwide (in Canada and US). You have six hours. The median score is usually a 0 lmfao.

Last year I scored a 10 which was the (Top 50%). I guess that there is some improvement right? :3

Hopefully I'll do my best next year! I should probably work on math problems more often so I'll make that a habit! :3 Wish me luck? :3

DossarLX ODI 03-26-2012 07:28 PM

Re: I got a 3!!!

What type of math questions are even asked if you got a 3 out of 120? Sounds like some really long brutal test.

iironiic 03-26-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3665333)
What type of math questions are even asked if you got a 3 out of 120? Sounds like some really long brutal test.

Here was this year's (technically 2011's) exam:

http://amc.maa.org/a-activities/a7-p.../-pdf/2011.pdf

I was really confident with A4 and B2 since I have the right answers and am confident with my proofs. I guess it was not so convincing to the graders haha.

8 Hour Whore 03-26-2012 07:31 PM

I'm in Cal 4 atm and I don't even want to attempt this because if azn can only get a 3... I would get a -10

Winrar 03-26-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iironiic (Post 3665332)
(33th percentile)

;)

iironiic 03-26-2012 07:38 PM

Bahahahahahaha fixed. Man I am so stupid today... first I don't know what a love triangle is, and now this? xD

Bluearrowll 03-26-2012 07:38 PM

This has been advertised in a few universities around the city by math societies - mainly because after you attempt this test, succeeding tests will seem much easier. LOL

I now dub you
Wilson XXXIII

Breakdown16 03-26-2012 07:40 PM

I've heard about this competition a couple times before and it seems extremely challenging. How much math background is usually recommended before taking the test?

dag12 03-26-2012 07:40 PM

It's an extremely difficult proof-based test. Kinda like the USAMO or IMO, but harder. (though those are for the high school kids haha.. Good times)
Also, I'm confused how 50th percentile -> 33rd percentile is improvement haha. Or maybe my sarcasm detector is broken.
Grats though! I took the test too :)

Breakdown16 03-26-2012 07:44 PM

Quoted from here. Doesn't seem too descriptive as to number of courses/years of experience, but it does mention at the end a few of the topics covered...though it doesn't really say to what extent.

Quote:

The examination will be constructed to test originality as well as technical competence. It is expected that the contestant will be familiar with the formal theories embodied in undergraduate mathematics. It is assumed that such training, designed for mathematics and physical science majors, will include somewhat more sophisticated mathematical concepts than is the case in minimal courses. Thus the differential equations course is presumed to include some references to qualitative existence theorems and subtleties beyond the routine solution devices. Questions will be included that cut across the bounds of various disciplines, and self-contained questions that do not fit into any of the usual categories may be included. It will be assumed that the contestant has acquired a familiarity with the body of mathematical lore commonly discussed in mathematics clubs or in courses with such titles as “survey of the foundations of mathematics.” It is also expected that the self-contained questions involving elementary concepts from group theory, set theory, graph theory, lattice theory, number theory, and cardinal arithmetic will not be entirely foreign to the contestant’s experience.

iironiic 03-26-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dag12 (Post 3665343)
Also, I'm confused how 50th percentile -> 33rd percentile is improvement haha. Or maybe my sarcasm detector is broken.

I don't know haha! That's why I'm not too happy about my 3 xD. Do you know what you got? I'm sure you did better than me!

And there isn't really any required classes to take for this exam. It is more like an extracurricular activity haha. It is suggested to take as many math classes though.

Mau5 03-26-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iironiic (Post 3665334)
Here was this year's (technically 2011's) exam:

http://amc.maa.org/a-activities/a7-p.../-pdf/2011.pdf

I was really confident with A4 and B2 since I have the right answers and am confident with my proofs. I guess it was not so convincing to the graders haha.

Wrong link, that was to a foreign language exam
Fix please

Lmao kidding nice job regardless though dude

Breakdown16 03-26-2012 07:49 PM

Ha ha, I think I saw qqwref on the list of award recipients. Congrats!

And congrats to iironiic and dag12 for even taking it...really seems out of my league once I looked over the problems. Kind of scary knowing the median is zero...

MyRoseTearsBlood 03-26-2012 07:50 PM

In before Rubix takes the test blindfolded.

Bluearrowll 03-26-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dag12 (Post 3665343)

The 50th percentile means you placed in the top 50% of the people who took the test. the 33rd percentile means you placed in the top 33% of the people who took the test. Therefore, being in the top half to the top third is in fact an improvement. :)

Breakdown16 03-26-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluearrowll (Post 3665358)
The 50th percentile means you placed in the top 50% of the people who took the test. the 33rd percentile means you placed in the top 33% of the people who took the test. Therefore, being in the top half to the top third is in fact an improvement. :)

I'm actually used to seeing the other way around for most things, including standardized tests. Higher percentage = higher number of points compared to others.

iironiic 03-26-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown16 (Post 3665354)
Ha ha, I think I saw qqwref on the list of award recipients. Congrats!

Oh wow! Didn't notice him there haha! Congrats to qqwref! :3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown16 (Post 3665359)
I'm actually used to seeing the other way around for most things, including standardized tests. Higher percentage = higher number of points compared to others.

Woops. "Percentile" wasn't the right word. I fixed it though!

ichliebekase 03-26-2012 07:58 PM

I took something like the Putnam Exam years ago, it was optional back in high school to take a glimpse into the true hard stuff. Definitely no walk in the park xD very nice job :]

dag12 03-26-2012 08:05 PM

Yeah, nth percentile means you did better than n% of the people. Crash course in math for the day!
But yeah, I'm not sure how I did lol. I haven't checked, and I haven't been to my school's math club in ages haha. Last year was ~35 I think for me.
In either case though, I wanna consider myself done with math. As a Chem major, the highest level of math I need is abstract algebra or real and complex analysis(even for like quantum field theory...)
Our school produced a Putnam Fellow this year though! What a beast.

Guest15937 03-26-2012 08:10 PM

And here I am, thinking the AIME is hard...