Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pi is Wrong? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=117857)

Sweet_Feet 03-14-2011 12:12 PM

Pi is Wrong?

Thought this was interesting.

edit: You can read the entire Tau Manifesto here if you care enough.

Xx{Midnight}xX 03-14-2011 12:26 PM

Re: Pi is Wrong?

I was entertained.

And I hate math.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 03-14-2011 12:42 PM

"I've got Pi here and I've got Pi there... I'm Pi winning"

lol'd

remedy1502 03-14-2011 12:43 PM

I love Vi Hart's videos lmfao. That was pretty cool.

I like this one lmfao

she's so amusing and intelligent it's awesome

Reincarnate 03-14-2011 12:44 PM

This chick is retarded as shit.

"WAH WAH the unit circle is 2pi why not just pi WAH WAH"

The ratio of circumference to radius is 2*pi. A radian is just a way of asking how many radius lengths can be wrapped around a circle. When we're talking about pi radians, for instance, that means we're taking a pi number of radius-lengths and going around the circle. It'll get us exactly halfway.

If you replace it with this tau shit to make a unit circle equal to 1 tau or 2*pi, that means that in other scenarios we'd have to replace pi with tau/2. We COULD replace the definition of a radian in terms of diameter lengths to say "it takes pi radians to go around the circle" but then this screws up the way countless other applications are handled where radians are concerned. She says a radius is the most fundamental thing about a circle without realizing that the radius is where radians are DERIVED FROM lmfao (a radian is an arcsweep from a radius, defined in terms of the radius). I could just as easily say that this aspect of the radius is "fundamental" in favor of 2pi unit circles.

It'd be like me saying that we should make pi easier to handle by just counting in base pi. Instead of calling pi 3.14159... we could just call it 10 because 1*pi^1 + 0*pi^0 = pi^0. But this would make our normal number system look totally disgusting otherwise (4 would require an infinite number of digits to represent).

In other words, if you make one thing convenient, you usually lose convenience elsewhere. You can't have it both ways. Unit circle's fine as is. You screw up a lot more than you solve with the tau system. Trig is ugly no matter how you approach it. Previously-convenient things become ugly and previously-ugly things become convenient.

Stewie7Griffin 03-14-2011 12:52 PM

The most interesting videos I've seen is Turning a Sphere Inside Out.

Part I
PartII

Hakulyte 03-14-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Feet (Post 3434621)
Pi is Wrong?

More like Tau is an alternative to do the same thing + what Rubix said.

Sweet_Feet 03-14-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remedy1502 (Post 3434635)
I like this one lmfao

That was awesome

"You can do this with triangles, stars, and don't forget to embellish, elephants, snakes.. I choose Abraham Lincoln" I ****ing died.

Chick is retarded but whatevs, I like it.

aperson 03-14-2011 04:18 PM

We use 2*pi because of how we construct the unit circle from the expansion of the complex exponential e^(ix) into its sin and cos parts. The even-ness of cos and odd-ness of sin don't make near as much sense if you use that stupid tau shit instead of pi.

rushyrulz 03-14-2011 04:23 PM

I hate math.
especially trig

jugglinguy 03-14-2011 04:52 PM

<3 Vi Hart. I'm not going to pretend I know which way would be more convenient overall, but I like the way she presented it.

supermousie 03-16-2011 07:52 AM

She's going to prove it's possible to divide by effing zero next...

Reincarnate 03-16-2011 08:02 AM

Don't care what y'all say. Mathematically-literate peeps know she's retarded.

AsphyxZero 03-16-2011 08:23 AM

Who cares, if I find a girl like her in college I am set for life.

smartdude1212 03-16-2011 09:06 AM

Her grammar sucks.

who_cares973 03-16-2011 09:18 AM

Make a video response rubix

Reincarnate 03-16-2011 09:23 AM

cbf dnc

more people sucking at math = helps me stand out = better for me = more $$$

dandandamdandan1111 03-16-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie7Griffin (Post 3434638)
The most interesting videos I've seen is Turning a Sphere Inside Out.

Part I
PartII

this

kommisar 03-16-2011 03:00 PM

I liked the process of her making actual pie, but here's what's wrong with it:

1.The pie dough she's using has either been made with brown sugar, made with added molasses or with cocoa. As she rolls it, you can tell that the dough is very fragile as it tears very easily. It's fine to make pie with such dough, but the process can become difficult and the overall product's consistency can be less flaky (which is usually what you aim for).

2.Using canned fruits and pie fillings is probably the worst things you can do for a quality pie. They're full of sodium nitrate for preservation which is used as an ingredient in fertilizers, pyrotechnics, as an ingredient in smoke bombs, etc. For maximum flavor, your filling must always be made from scratch using homemade jelly and local fruits.

3.For a better golden color, it's best to baste a light amount of melted butter on top of the pie before cooking. Otherwise, it may dry up too much and become stale. That simply won't do. Her toothpick pi and tau designs were neat, but hardly efficient for air circulation.

Cooks think she's retarded too.

reuben_tate 03-16-2011 04:19 PM

I don't see why everyone is hating on her. She is just proposing another unit of measure that would be more convenient in certain circumstances. You wouldn't measure the length of your fingernail in kilometers, nor would you measure the distance between planets in millimeters. Similarly, this girl is just saying that in some cases, it would be easier to use tau. Would it be more convenient in all situations? Well no, but she has a good point in the fact that in some applications (like the examples she had shown), the use of tau might be more simple and also make more sense. I'm not taking sides or anything, I'm still going to stick with traditional pi, but I think this girl has some validity to her point.