Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   [UK Hardcore] Is It Really You? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115639)

megamon88 11-24-2010 09:43 PM

[UK Hardcore] Is It Really You?

So, I'm starting to really like UK Hardcore. Listened to some great mixes the other day, and really inspired me to start making more. I still need to work on my mixing and mastering though :P.

Yeah, copy/pastad description. Anyways, this was a fun song to make. Trying to make some UK Hardcore. I'm not even sure if you'd call it that. It's upbeat and uplifting, but at the same time it feels a bit dark. I'll leave it up to you guys to classify it. Have fun. :3

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/378587

Coolboyrulez0 11-25-2010 12:30 PM

Re: [UK Hardcore] Is It Really You?

Haha wow had me hooked from the beginning.

Absolutely riveting and professional sounding - I think you have earned a spot as my favorite or one of my favorite FFR artists.

megamon88 11-25-2010 11:29 PM

Wow, I'm flattered! I tried to make it sound professional, and I guess it worked pretty well. I just have to fine-tune my mixing and mastering skills and I'll be good to go. :D

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-25-2010 11:34 PM

Why hasn't this received more attention? This is legit.

flashpantss 11-25-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator (Post 3351724)
Why hasn't this received more attention? This is legit.

This. This is really good. I would say something about mine not getting attention. But mine suck

megamon88 11-25-2010 11:36 PM

Wow 6 people viewing the thread now. :P

Thanks for the comments guys!

bmah 11-26-2010 02:11 AM

I really liked it! Sounds like true UK hardcore. <3

At 2:00 the piano begins to play a three-16ths pattern melody...my personal preference would be having the piano play a subtle running 16th melody without breaks...that's just me though.

Your stuff is really cool.

edit: what made you come up with the song title?

megamon88 11-26-2010 08:57 AM

I'm actually not sure, but I think that the overall feel of the song made it seem like in the first half somebody is searching, and halfway through, because of the key change, finds the person he's looking for. I dunno, I suck with titles :P

HoneyMelonCalibrator 11-26-2010 11:32 AM

Reminds me of Sharpnel. That's a really good thing, haha. Again, why isn't this receiving more attention ?_?

megamon88 11-26-2010 01:14 PM

I don't have enough breaks to be like sharpnel, but I guess it's kinda similar. :P

Coolboyrulez0 11-26-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megamon88 (Post 3351989)
I don't have enough breaks to be like sharpnel, but I guess it's kinda similar. :P

Hmm... Could it be possible that you can speed this up 15-20 BPM, Add some breaks and some high-pitched vocals and thus making a Sharpnel-esque remix?
I wonder how it would work out on this song.

Starshot 11-26-2010 08:06 PM

UK Hardcore composer and vet here. If this following criticism feels too harsh, it's because it is.

First and formost, as a person who spins, that highpass filter is going to throw a LOT of DJs off mainly because they'll have to readjust their mixing levels at an extremely fast rate. Other than that, it's a fine intro and you did a swell job with the occational melodic bassdrum hits.

The bassline is far too stereo when compared to the leads. Typically, you want your leads mixed in the outside areas and your bassline inside. It results in a much, much cleaner mix that sounds a lot more polyphonic, rather than a homophonic mesh of sound. However, with this tune it works fairly well, even if the mid range is a little jumbled. Also, (and this is something I've learned throughout the ages), don't EQ your bassline into lower frequencies, as it's implied that the headphones/subwoofers in question will cover it.

Compositionally, the track is fine. It's a nice trancey-like hardcore tune. It's not heavily melody driven like some of the more modern stuff, but it seems to tread the lines between Freeform and UK. Good stuff.

On the premastering side.... eh, I'm not going to go into high extremes (because you stated you're new to UK hardcore), but, if there's one thing I want you to take away from this criticism, it's this:
LAYER.

THE.

BASS.

DRUM.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when making UK hardcore is simply not making that drum hard enough. Yes, the synths are important, but if the drum doesn't cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter, you lose that energy that makes hardcore what it is. Also, I'd like to see the leads EQed a lot higher, but that's just my personal taste.

I certainly don't mean to come off as a COMPLETE hardass with this criticism (granted, I am), but only to help you become a better artist. Trust me, you did a good job, it's just those really small and fine things that set you above the rest.

BethanyBangs 11-26-2010 08:12 PM

Oh shi. I love it.
Is there a stepfile thingy for this song?

Coolboyrulez0 11-26-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starshot (Post 3352325)
UK Hardcore composer and vet here. If this following criticism feels too harsh, it's because it is.

First and formost, as a person who spins, that highpass filter is going to throw a LOT of DJs off mainly because they'll have to readjust their mixing levels at an extremely fast rate. Other than that, it's a fine intro and you did a swell job with the occational melodic bassdrum hits.

The bassline is far too stereo when compared to the leads. Typically, you want your leads mixed in the outside areas and your bassline inside. It results in a much, much cleaner mix that sounds a lot more polyphonic, rather than a homophonic mesh of sound. However, with this tune it works fairly well, even if the mid range is a little jumbled. Also, (and this is something I've learned throughout the ages), don't EQ your bassline into lower frequencies, as it's implied that the headphones/subwoofers in question will cover it.

Compositionally, the track is fine. It's a nice trancey-like hardcore tune. It's not heavily melody driven like some of the more modern stuff, but it seems to tread the lines between Freeform and UK. Good stuff.

On the premastering side.... eh, I'm not going to go into high extremes (because you stated you're new to UK hardcore), but, if there's one thing I want you to take away from this criticism, it's this:
LAYER.

THE.

BASS.

DRUM.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when making UK hardcore is simply not making that drum hard enough. Yes, the synths are important, but if the drum doesn't cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter, you lose that energy that makes hardcore what it is. Also, I'd like to see the leads EQed a lot higher, but that's just my personal taste.

I certainly don't mean to come off as a COMPLETE hardass with this criticism (granted, I am), but only to help you become a better artist. Trust me, you did a good job, it's just those really small and fine things that set you above the rest.

In case your wondering you don't seem harsh at all.
If most people gave as detailed and throughout of a criticism as you do then this place would benefit a lot more than from the average "ohshi- great track" comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethanyBangs (Post 3352326)
Oh shi. I love it.
Is there a stepfile thingy for this song?

No, the song JUST came out.
No one had the time or felt like creating a chart yet.

megamon88 11-26-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Oh wow, this is the kind of critisism I love. It's fun to see all the people saying they like it, but it's comments like these that really help me improve.

Quote:

LAYER.

THE.

BASS.

DRUM.

Firstly, let me say that I was originally going to layer the bass drum but forgot to get around to doing it XD.

Anyways, since I've only just recently started to attempt to EQ my songs, my skills are verrrry bad sometimes. Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to fix up those EQing issues when I get around to it.

Quote:

I hadn't really considered the highpass problem, I really know zip about DJing. Thanks though, now I know :D

About the bassline being too "stereo", what exactly do you mean? I'm not very good with these terms, but I'm assuming it's has something to do with it being too prominent in both speakers? Not sure how to fix this, input would be appreciated. Also, if you could explain "outside" and "inside" in more depth, that would be great. As I said before I'm really bad with terms like these. XD

Thank you so much for the detailed review. I'll be sure to try and fix up these! :3

Starshot 11-26-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megamon88 (Post 3352378)
About the bassline being too "stereo", what exactly do you mean?

It has to do with where the sound is in relevance to others on the speakers. Ideally, most UK Hardcore basslines should sound like they're playing right in the center of your head (If you wear headphones).

Merge the bassline in the mixer. You'll be happy with the results. It sounds bigger and it takes up less wave space.

megamon88 11-26-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starshot (Post 3352382)
It has to do with where the sound is in relevance to others on the speakers. Ideally, most UK Hardcore basslines should sound like they're playing right in the center of your head (If you wear headphones).

Merge the bassline in the mixer. You'll be happy with the results. It sounds bigger and it takes up less wave space.

Sorry for asking, but how would one go about that? I'm using FL studio if that helps. I feel like such a noob right now. :P

Starshot 11-26-2010 09:34 PM

Right there. That's actually a channel for a bassline I'm using for an UK Hardcore tune.

megamon88 11-26-2010 09:49 PM

Huh, I've never used/noticed that. Thanks for the help :P

Oh, and I'm assuming this is what you meant by "inside" and "outside", am I correct?

Starshot 11-26-2010 09:53 PM

Yes indeed.