Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Solve this equation for me (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=113032)

GG_Guru 10-13-2009 12:01 PM

Solve this equation for me

y=mx+b

(MrRubix if you're out there, I need your help this is a matter of life and death)

bluguerrilla 10-13-2009 12:03 PM

Re: Solve this equation for me

How about learn some 7th grade math?

Afrobean 10-13-2009 12:05 PM

You're 17 and you can't understand that?

Not sure exactly what you're asking for (both of the functions' equations?), but those are basic linear functions, bro. You should have been able to do that since junior high at least.

ps m is slope, the rise divided by the run, change in y divided by change in x. b is the y intercept, the x value where the line crosses the y axis.

GG_Guru 10-13-2009 12:08 PM

Wait, wait I just got it.

y= -2x+3

That right?

Afrobean 10-13-2009 12:24 PM

I don't even know what you're asking for.

The equation you gave appears to be correct for the blue line. Not sure what relation the red line is supposed to be or what the "solution" to this "equation" is. Isn't the "answer" to a system of functions usually the point of intersection?

bLasTamos 10-13-2009 12:27 PM

lol please someone call mr rubix.

leonid 10-13-2009 12:29 PM

You have two lines in that graph and you asked for only one equation... Which one did you mean?

..and shouldn't this be in Critical Thinking forum?

then again this doesn't even require any critical thinking (for an 11th grader) so not wrong forum i guess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3256115)
Wait, wait I just got it.

y= -2x+3

That right?

You got one of the lines correct.

MrRubix 10-13-2009 12:37 PM

Are you serious son

Blue line is clearly y = -2x + 3 and the red line is clearly y = x - 6

leonid 10-13-2009 12:38 PM

You helped him way too much

GG_Guru 10-13-2009 12:41 PM

Hey thanks for the help instead of laughing at my thread some of you actually decided to do something about this.

Yes, the last one is y = x-6 my teacher just told me but thanks for trying it out Marcus you're a good fellow.

Thread over.
Peace.

(P.S. Man, Algebra 2 sucks..)

MrRubix 10-13-2009 12:45 PM

lmao

How about some problems that are actually trickier to solve:

1. A stick of length one is split into two sticks at a random point that is uniformly distributed -- say X is the shorter stick and Y is the longer one. Find E(X) and Var(X), then find E(Y-X)^2

2. Leonid and Rubix are alternating rolling a pair of dice, stopping either when Leonid rolls the sum of 9 or when Rubix rolls the sum of 6. Assuming that Leonid rolls first, find the probability that Leonid has the final roll.

3. Easier one for ya -- you can buy a lottery ticket for $1. If you win, you get $5 back. You're determined to win twice at any cost. Each ticket has p = .125 of winning. What is the probability you get your second winning ticket on the sixth purchase? What's your expected profit or loss from this lottery in general?

leonid 10-13-2009 12:46 PM

wrong forum

JKPolk 10-13-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3256138)
(P.S. Man, Algebra 2 sucks..)

MrRubix 10-13-2009 12:48 PM

Here's a hard one I doubt anyone here will get -- from one of my homeworks:

You have a system of N components. Each component will function, independently, with probability p. The total system of components will work if at least half of them are functioning. For what value of p is a 5-component system more likely to operate than a 3-component system? How about a (2k+1) component system over a (2k-1) component system?

rqm 10-13-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrobean (Post 3256114)
You're 17 and you can't understand that?

textbook black

god damn jigga nones how hard can this be? math doesnt work with my brain and i took algebra ii in like grade 9 or something damn u were born halfbrained

Afrobean 10-13-2009 12:50 PM

Since when would this problem be Algebra 2 level stuff? I was doing this sort of work in seventh grade.

rqm 10-13-2009 12:51 PM

ya for real this is like end of pre-algebra stuff

JKPolk 10-13-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRubix (Post 3256140)
lmao

How about some problems that are actually trickier to solve:

1. A stick of length one is split into two sticks at a random point that is uniformly distributed -- say X is the shorter stick and Y is the longer one. Find E(X) and Var(X), then find E(Y-X)^2

2. Leonid and Rubix are alternating rolling a pair of dice, stopping either when Leonid rolls the sum of 9 or when Rubix rolls the sum of 6. Assuming that Leonid rolls first, find the probability that Leonid has the final roll.

3. Easier one for ya -- you can buy a lottery ticket for $1. If you win, you get $5 back. You're determined to win twice at any cost. Each ticket has p = .125 of winning. What is the probability you get your second winning ticket on the sixth purchase? What's your expected profit or loss from this lottery in general?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRubix (Post 3256149)

You have a system of N components. Each component will function, independently, with probability p. The total system of components will work if at least half of them are functioning. For what value of p is a 5-component system more likely to operate than a 3-component system? How about a (2k+1) component system over a (2k-1) component system?

Statistics is a world I'm glad I never had to enter.

What is the specific thrust of a turbojet engine with compressor pressure ratio 20, design Mach number 1.6, turbine inlet temp 1400K flying at 35,000 ft? Turbine and Compressor polytropic efficiency .95, isentropic effenciency .97, Gamma 1.4.

iironiic 10-13-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRubix (Post 3256149)

do we win credits if we get the correct answer? lol

MrRubix 10-13-2009 01:00 PM

Probably not, especially not for that one since I just realized it can be Googled. The others, though, maybe.