Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   The Werewolf Game (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   On the subject of Toxicity/Community Check-in (TWG) (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=152456)

Funnygurl555 10-19-2020 07:11 PM

Re: On the subject of Toxicity/Community Check-in (TWG)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolth mannn (Post 4747484)
Well I think Charu is absolutely right, we’re all here And talking about this in general because we love the game, and it is unfortunate, because I agree that censoring is not the answer. I’d be interested to see what funnygurl has to say about the issue as she mentioned another TWG community elsewhere that toxicity didn’t seem to be present in (in the postgame thread) and I’m curious whether that’s to do with any rules the forums over there might have or if it’s more to do with the different personalities that happen to play over there

ok yeah i'm home now so i'll finally actually post stuff

first of all toxic isn't an exaggeration it accurately describes what the community is like during games. there's a culture here of hostility and deprecation of people's characters or intelligence. (not to mention that this place is a little cliquey y ' a l l but it's whatever though that's some high school shit but i miss it when other ffr people would just hop on down. there ain't that kinda energy around twg anymore and i miss it). anyways y'all have made me want to sub out of games, sometimes i'm out here wanting to leave twg, and i believe that i'm a pretty tough cookie. imagine how others feel.

yeah, check out the syndicate. i've played with nanook there. even though i was a newbie they welcomed me with open arms. not to mention they actually go out of their way to get to know newbies. i'm sure they're not perfect and have their issues but like man, what a crew. i haven't played in a while tho maybe i'll go back

so anyways one actionable recommendation i have is to have a twg vet available to chat with people who are uncomfortable while playing a game. i wanted to chat with bugkid but couldn't because we were both still in it (i'm sure others had their back though). sometimes players, especially newbies, need to feel supported. i'd be happy to step back for a couple of games and be that person if need be.

ok i'm not done. two more things:

1) i want to see this community grow. i love y'all but without active recruiting ffr twg's gonna die out. some of us will get busy, others will get tired of the game. we /need/ a steady stream of newcomers-- it's not a question of whether we /want/ them.

2) xel and mml are (imo understandably) confused about how they should act in twg. i get that social rules can be a bit hard to define, but i think that rules aganst toxicity should be delineated.

i'd be a good mod thanks

Funnygurl555 10-19-2020 07:18 PM

mml, if it helps, i think what really gets to people is when what you say is disproportionately mean compared to what someone else says. like bugkid was p darn nice in the game but you were insulting them

i hope this thread doesn't make you wanna leave though. i actually really like playing with you and your posts don't get on my nerves personally 'cause i know you don't really mean them

inDheart 10-19-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreezinIce (Post 4747539)
I think i said most of my thoughts on the matter in the postgame thread.

Maybe my tolerance for verbal abuse is not the norm but for the most part i didnt see anything egregious in the game i hosted.

The only time insults seemed to be close to crossing into the "wtf" territory is when shadowgod was ranting at raeko and insulting subaru. But even then i didnt really feel it was my place to interject and police the way the game is being played.

Maybe i should've. Maybe i will in the future. I will definitely be more cognizant of that fact.

any time you would get to a level of "policing" that's not "chill fam tbh pls fam" either in DM/PM or in the thread, i think it becomes a twg-mod-worthy question

like if things are going batshit wild and people are telling you as much, and you post a general warning to quit the batshit wilding, if it continues after that it's like. go get backup

maybe the enemy zero game could've benefited from me doing a modpost tbh. i don't claim to be perfect

_Zenith_ 10-19-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoshL (Post 4747544)
yeah adam was the one who was like "yoshl get checked into a mental institute" and really nasty shit

Yeah, and I thought he said something along the lines of someone's life not mattering or alluding to someone taking their lives, but Adam was definitely a prime example of the level of toxicity that would get you permanently banned from this community.

Charu 10-19-2020 08:05 PM

Make me mod and I'll give everyone free bird ups

FreezinIce 10-19-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4747555)

go to 3:03 to see my attempt at fake claiming against xiz

3:46 for worst case ontario

I was originally just going to go to the timestamps but i watched the whole thing in a mesmerised stupor

Wow

XelNya 10-19-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4747556)
2) xel and mml are (imo understandably) confused about how they should act in twg. i get that social rules can be a bit hard to define, but i think that rules aganst toxicity should be delineated.

I think you didn't understand my post, like at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4747557)
mml, if it helps, i think what really gets to people is when what you say is disproportionately mean compared to what someone else says.

I've attempted to respond to this nicely like 50X, and I just can't

you literally cannot post more than like a fucking infant like that

you can't

Funnygurl555 10-19-2020 10:30 PM

you wanna explain how i don't understand your post or what

and do i post like an infant to you

flashflash account 10-19-2020 10:32 PM

njikunjher 4r4nnqq2qawaq

Shadow_God_10 10-19-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4747583)
njikunjher 4r4nnqq2qawaq

*strokes beard*

I see...

Shadow_God_10 10-19-2020 11:04 PM

Gonna throw in my two cents here because fuck it, I can.

I've been playing with you guys for a little over a year now, and I've been having a blast, despite my inexperience.

Emotions can run a little rampant in a game involving lying through your teeth and deceiving your friends for a period of two to three weeks. This is all well and good, but if I'm being honest here, I have not once seen a drip of toxicity from this community.

Charu 10-19-2020 11:09 PM

500 IQ suggestion.

Just be respectful, lol.
Wait... I already suggested that for moderation, nevermind

Charu 10-19-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4747557)
mml, if it helps, i think what really gets to people is when what you say is disproportionately mean compared to what someone else says. like bugkid was p darn nice in the game but you were insulting them

i hope this thread doesn't make you wanna leave though. i actually really like playing with you and your posts don't get on my nerves personally 'cause i know you don't really mean them

I somehow missed this, oops.

I know it ain't directed at me, but after glancing at the game that just ended to see if there was a connection between this thread's creation to then.

MML posts are aggressive and are meant to pressure players as he said in this thread. There was actually very few posts I would deem "too strong" coming from him this game. Yes, I went through every single post he made in that game to see if your post had merit.

In fact the only quote I can share that might've been an insult was this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4746324)
If you can play the game better then me then by all means start actually playing the game

Which was directed at bug and it was a little insult too, not a big one that would stir up personal drama. Of course that entirely depends on how bug interpreted it

I'm just trying to figure this out, don't mind me!

Funnygurl555 10-19-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4746415)

You're doing jack all and Bug flipped from being meek and unsure to cocky and unhelpful on a dime the fucking moment Haku gave him an out. I don't want to hear your shit about how that isn't wolf behavior

it didn't take me too long to find this

someone calling me cocky and unhelpful when i'm dipping my toes in the water would hurt my feelings

edit:

you know i'm still waiting on xel's response so i hope he returns to thread

Funnygurl555 10-20-2020 12:03 AM

im back

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4746347)
Oh a confident player now are we?
Only responds when you think I left the thread eh?
Can't answer basic bitch questions about their own viewpoint
Such an asset to town ain'cha?

Know that Confirmed Town (what Haku is parading you as) has more of a responsibility to lead and be bold, since the rest of the game shouldn't be questioning your motives. You wanna let Haku bail your ass out you better act the part all the way.

Out for real, go ahead and make a snarky comeback I'll let you have the next one for free. Probably the last noteworthy thing you 'll post this phase anyway

Funnygurl555 10-20-2020 12:04 AM

anyways if you talked to bug postgame it becomes p obvious that they were affected by how people posted this game. even if you think, "oh that's not too bad," it was bad enough that bug doesn't wanna play another game

our one newbie

Charu 10-20-2020 12:06 AM

That is one of the "too strong" posts, yeah. It's not particularly insulting though unless the player laying out how they read a player's reactions was insulting.

This is what I mean when I said aggressive playstyles inevitably leads to hurt feelings when they probably didn't mean it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 4747493)
My view of toxicity in TWG (Or games like this) are what I described. Being an aggressive poster does not inherently make you a toxic player. However, just being aggressive has its issues as you know from me and others. Feelings get hurt and whatnot when you may not have intended to hurt feelings (keyword, MAY).

It's just inevitable with that playstyle, there's no changing it outside of forcing yourself to not be yourself.

Charu 10-20-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4747596)
im back

Again, it's one of his "too strong" posts, but yeah, looks like I missed a line when going through his posts.

"Such an asset to town ain'cha?" is an insult, for sure.

Charu 10-20-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4747597)
anyways if you talked to bug postgame it becomes p obvious that they were affected by how people posted this game. even if you think, "oh that's not too bad," it was bad enough that bug doesn't wanna play another game

our one newbie

MML is tough to play with though, I do agree. His bites when I played with him in the heat of the moment are super stressful. I agree he should've been WAAAAAAAAY calmer with the new player than he projected, that is a valid critique for him last game.

But did he reach toxic levels though?

Charu 10-20-2020 12:26 AM

Why am I up analyzing this, uuuuugh. I should be sleeping for work this morning.

Work is gonna suuuuuuuuuuck.

I think this is my mini-TWG. I've starved myself so long for analyzing that I'm using this thread as a means to crack the toxicity case.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!