Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sweeping anti-gay legislation soon to become law in North Carolina (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=144105)

igotrhythm 03-23-2016 08:55 PM

Sweeping anti-gay legislation soon to become law in North Carolina

Source: http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...ion_ordinances

This bill will void all local anti-discrimination protection laws (probably to spite Charlotte, which passed such a law recently) and could quite possibly become law before midnight local time after a special session was convened, costing taxpayers 42K to do so, and after an 83-25 vote in the House, state Dem senators staged a walkout after their efforts to at least amend the bill proved fruitless against a tide of propaganda and animus against gay people. After a unanimous passing vote, Governor Pat McCrory says he'll sign it immediately.

Today is a dark day in the civil rights struggle of our age. Today, lies and hatred have won. This is all the more reason to get up tomorrow and fight even harder for the right of everyone to shop where they want, work where they want, and walk the streets without fear of being assaulted because of who they love or how their plumbing works.

Contrapasso 03-23-2016 08:59 PM

Re: Sweeping anti-gay legislation soon to become law in North Carolina

thanks for posting a site with no references and huge amounts of lean

Contrapasso 03-23-2016 09:01 PM

http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bil...e/PDF/H2v1.pdf

Contrapasso 03-23-2016 09:08 PM

the bill references biological sex in regards to restrooms and changing stations
I have no comment on this particular part

section 3.1 changes the word "gender" to "biological sex" which will definitely be used to deny transgendered men and women rights but that's a case that can be brought to the supreme court

obvious fearmongering, someone lock this dumb thread

Rojaf 03-23-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrapasso (Post 4417817)
the bill references biological sex in regards to restrooms and changing stations
I have no comment on this particular part

section 3.1 changes the word "gender" to "biological sex" which will definitely be used to deny transgendered men and women rights but that's a case that can be brought to the supreme court

obvious fearmongering, someone lock this dumb thread

i mean, it's obviously going to end up before the supreme court if it does pass and get signed....

and it's not just about restrooms, it's about employment too.

pretty shitty law and not at all fearmongering to react to it IMO.

how do you feel about ABC?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/n...asure-37861330

choof 03-23-2016 11:10 PM

cases of discrimination based on gender will be brought to the supreme court
maybe fearmongering was a strong word but the article posted definitely has a lean to it

it is a pretty shitty law but it'll be overturned at some point
i hope

Deadlyx39 03-24-2016 11:04 AM

I don't agree with the law but at least it's the state itself deciding it. That Supreme Court decision violated the 10th amendment last year and nobody cared. Opinions on the issue aside, I just want people to follow to constitution, and if the 10th amendment allows states to decide on issue not stated in the constitution (drug legalization, gay rights, etc.), then they should be able to decide.

j-rodd123 03-24-2016 01:04 PM

durrrrr my constitution durrrrrr

yo man im awesome 03-24-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4418033)
I don't agree with the law but at least it's the state itself deciding it. That Supreme Court decision violated the 10th amendment last year and nobody cared. Opinions on the issue aside, I just want people to follow to constitution, and if the 10th amendment allows states to decide on issue not stated in the constitution (drug legalization, gay rights, etc.), then they should be able to decide.

orrrrrrr maybe the Constitution itself could use a bit of modernization, don't you think?

choof 03-24-2016 01:56 PM

violation of an amendment for a Good Thing isn't a bad thing, that's why no one outside of constitutionalists and super right wing religious ppl cared

massflavour 03-24-2016 02:07 PM

gay? are you sure?

Deadlyx39 03-24-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo man im awesome (Post 4418046)
orrrrrrr maybe the Constitution itself could use a bit of modernization, don't you think?

10th amendment states that anything not stated in the constitution should be up to the state to decide. That's all. I don't agree with the Supreme Court decision because it violated the 10th amendment, as gay right is stated precisely 0 times in the constitution.

States themselves should have the right to do what they want on the matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4418048)
violation of an amendment for a Good Thing isn't a bad thing, that's why no one outside of constitutionalists and super right wing religious ppl cared

Only reason why I care is because I fear that the Supreme Court is getting too powerful. 9 (well 8 right now) shouldn't be the deciding factor for over 300 million. States are slowly losing their rights to the national government.

YoshL 03-24-2016 03:35 PM

the problem here is that you're currently putting the rights of states over the rights that some of the actual populus of the country have. Also, I understand that you disagree with the law but saying that the supreme court is violating the constitution because of different interpretations is silly, because the constitution pretty much says that the supreme court is the "ultimate (and largely discretionary) appellate jurisdiction over all federal courts and over state court cases involving issues of federal law, plus original jurisdiction over a small range of cases." (#wikipedia)

kommisar 03-24-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4418033)

so even if it's ethically wrong? get outta here

I get the whole "states should have some sort of independence as long as it follows the constitution" but this division is outdated and encourages prejudice in areas already prone to do so. Some rulings are to protect minorities and it's effectively removing that protection to say states should be allowed to push this kind of shit.

Red Blaster 03-24-2016 04:13 PM

I saw something about this, except it was in Georgia and not NC.
Did I read a bs story?

Ghakimx 03-24-2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Blaster (Post 4418064)
I saw something about this, except it was in Georgia and not NC.
Did I read a bs story?

Unfortunately not BS.

Rojaf 03-24-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4418060)
10th amendment states that anything not stated in the constitution should be up to the state to decide. That's all. I don't agree with the Supreme Court decision because it violated the 10th amendment, as gay right is stated precisely 0 times in the constitution.

States themselves should have the right to do what they want on the matter.

Only reason why I care is because I fear that the Supreme Court is getting too powerful. 9 (well 8 right now) shouldn't be the deciding factor for over 300 million. States are slowly losing their rights to the national government.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S. ___ (2015), is a landmark United States Supreme Court case in which the Court held in a 5–4 decision that the fundamental right to marry is guaranteed to same-sex couples by both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.[2][3]

just because the phrase "gay rights" doesn't appear in the constitution doesn't mean that gay people's rights can not or should not be protected by it.

the equal protection clause guarantees people equal rights. heterosexual people have the right to marry and enjoy the many, many legal benefits that are granted with marriage. denying homosexual people access to legal marriage and the many legal benefits that come with it is clearly a violation of the equal protection clause.

igotrhythm 03-24-2016 11:26 PM

The other kicker to bathroom bills like this is a simple one: How are you going to enforce it?

Media Matters has a good takedown on the subject, with lots of external references.

massflavour 03-25-2016 01:26 AM

lgbt folk have it pretty good in the west, this sort of complaining is kinda laughable

SKG_Scintill 03-25-2016 07:36 AM

ITT: Serious toilet humour