Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ravi Zacharias (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=131364)

star reaper 08-12-2013 02:26 PM

Ravi Zacharias

[quote=Hateandhatred;3957799]

The video is of Ravi Zacharias who is a christian apologist. This is more or less for the Christians on this site to share their opinions on what is said, but anyone can join in as long as there isn't any spam or foul language used. Also, sorry for only having the link posted and not a video put in. I can't seem to figure out how to embed the video itself.

star reaper 08-12-2013 02:33 PM

Re: Ravi Zacharias

Thanks for the help hateandhatred.

MrGiggles 08-12-2013 04:47 PM

This is the guy who thinks evolution can't be real because it contradicts the second law of thermodynamics, right?

Pretty sure he also believes gays don't have the 'right' to be gay or something along those lines.

Not much else to say.

kommisar 08-12-2013 04:58 PM

yeah there's nothing to discuss except there are a lot of people who get the wrong kind of education

Choofers 08-12-2013 05:09 PM

What's up with you and posting videos that put the spin of the earth to shame

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:14 PM

What's up with you guys not even having a point other than to bash something without a point by point discussion on the matter. Have a problem? Take the thought and address the issue with a reason as to why you are against it.

Choofers 08-12-2013 05:15 PM

Because there really is nothing to discuss.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957893)
Because there really is nothing to discuss.

Your proof is what?

Choofers 08-12-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957895)
Your proof is what?

This.
Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957798)
christian apologist

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:19 PM

All I see you do is assume your thoughts to make them so.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957898)
This.

Yeah, honestly I don't see eye to eye on how that makes your argument correct.

TC_Halogen 08-12-2013 05:23 PM

FFR does not receive religion well due to people defending the side of religion doing so in a (usually) illogical manner.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3957901)
FFR does not receive religion well due to people defending the side of religion doing so in a (usually) illogical manner.

I can understand that for some people. All I am asking is if some one actually discusses the topic.

Izzy 08-12-2013 05:25 PM

Could someone just make a summary of the key points so we can talk about whatever this is without watching a 45 minute video?

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3957904)
Could someone just make a summary of the key points so we can talk about whatever this is without watching a 45 minute video?

There are allot of tiny details, sorry...

Hateandhatred 08-12-2013 05:27 PM

I'll give it a serious listen later (maybe), but if I hear "the existence of an all powerful being makes it reasonable to think "x" thing happened and nothing contradicts it" I'm turning the whole thing off.

If I get through that video without hearing that I'll try to criticize and discuss your video.

Pseudo Enigma 08-12-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

FlashFlashRevolution > Introductions > Chit Chat
p.sure that's your problem
p.s. I want my christian apologies damnit!

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma (Post 3957907)
p.sure that's your problem
p.s. I want my christian apologies damnit!

You do realize that an apologists is a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

TC_Halogen 08-12-2013 05:36 PM

On another note, expecting people to watch an extremely long video on a topic they are likely to carry little interest about without any sort of preface/summation in regards to any sort of topic is also generally a bad idea. There isn't exactly a known Christian backing on FFR -- there are just a few members.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 3957910)
On another note, expecting people to watch an extremely long video on a topic they are likely to carry little interest about without any sort of preface/summation in regards to any sort of topic is also generally a bad idea. There isn't exactly a known Christian backing on FFR -- there are just a few members.

Well, I did say that this was mainly for Christians.

Hateandhatred 08-12-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957909)
You do realize that an apologists is a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

pretty sure it's apologetics.

Besides why would you aim this at Christians? Sure, Christianity supporters could criticize how well he's doing it or what he should say, but the message that guy tries to pass is most likely aimed toward detractors of Christianity.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 3957913)

An Apologist is some one who does Apologetics.

Hateandhatred 08-12-2013 05:43 PM

probably, nevermind I don't even speak English l0l

Nullifidian 08-12-2013 05:45 PM

I've been trying to listen to what he's saying for 20 minutes but I honestly don't know what he's trying to say. It's contentless drivel, and he's talking out of his ass about a lot of things such as secularization destroying a sense of shame in a culture, creating monsters..

ilikexd 08-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957911)
Well, I did say that this was mainly for Christians.

Not to say that it isn't allowed here or to discourage you from posting it here, but there are tons of better places than FFR you can go to if you want to get some discussion and thoughts from fellow Christians.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 3957913)

Besides why would you aim this at Christians? Sure, Christianity supporters could criticize how well he's doing it or what he should say, but the message that guy tries to pass is most likely aimed toward detractors of Christianity.

The main reason why I aim this at Christians is because most don't think about these things.

andy-o24 08-12-2013 05:46 PM

Thumbnail looks pretty cool.

-o24

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ (Post 3957919)
I've been trying to listen to what he's saying for 20 minutes but I honestly don't know what he's trying to say. It's contentless drivel, and he's talking out of his ass about a lot of things such as secularization destroying a sense of shame in a culture, creating monsters..

Do you understand the context he talks about these things in?

kommisar 08-12-2013 05:51 PM

well using "because god said so" isn't a very good argument either.

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3957927)
well using "because god said so" isn't a very good argument either.

Huh?

0o0 08-12-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957928)
Huh?

.-.

Nullifidian 08-12-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957924)
Do you understand the context he talks about these things in?

What kind of a question is that anyway lmao. I'm interested in hearing your side of how it should be "interpreted" but the way I see it he's simply reciting fancy stories that entertain the people (even though I doubt they understand what he's actually saying at all and just clap at the punchline of the story). I don't see any wisdom or rational thinking in what he's saying

Tim Allen 08-12-2013 05:57 PM

his name is suspiciously close to raffi

star reaper 08-12-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ (Post 3957932)
What kind of a question is that anyway lmao. I'm interested in hearing your side of how it should be "interpreted" but the way I see it he's simply reciting fancy stories that entertain the people. I don't see any wisdom or rational thinking in what he's saying

The context of how something is said is important. A series of random events about a man cutting open a person might seem odd, but when you put in the fact that the person is a surgeon performing heart surgery, the entire event seems to make more sense.

Nullifidian 08-12-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957937)
The context of how something is said is important. A series of random events about a man cutting open a person might seem odd, but when you put in the fact that the person is a surgeon performing heart surgery, the entire event seems to make more sense.

Sure, but I don't see that kind of coherency in this video.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ (Post 3957941)
Sure, but I don't see that kind of coherency in this video.

Well, one thing he tends to do is use stories to apply an idea. Maybe you are not connecting the story and thought that he brings up.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957943)
Well, one thing he tends to do is use stories to apply an idea. Maybe you are not connecting the story and thought that he brings up.

This could possibly be a stretch, so bear with me, but maybe he's not making sense because... he's not making any sense?

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:07 PM

This guy is a massive idiot.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957947)
This guy is a massive idiot.

Why do you say that?

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957946)
This could possibly be a stretch, so bear with me, but maybe he's not making sense because... he's not making any sense?

This could be a stretch but, maybe you don't understand the way he goes about a subject.

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:08 PM

Oh, if you want to see an example of this guy's logic getting shat upon (and if you want to learn where morality comes from)

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:09 PM

Okay, I'm two minutes in and he just said "we'll be doing some heavy duty thinking."

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957948)
Why do you say that?

because he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

see previous video. guy is notoriously dishonest and ignorant. there are many more examples, to be sure.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957951)
Okay, I'm two minutes in and he just said "we'll be doing some heavy duty thinking."

Okay, and being two minutes in means you have no idea what he has discussed. You really should watch the video before making a comment.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957952)
because he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

see previous video. guy is notoriously dishonest and ignorant. there are many more examples, to be sure.

Okay, if there are any examples you can give, then please do so.

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957955)
Okay, if there are any examples you can give, then please do so.

Watch the video. Focus on one example first.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957954)
Okay, and being two minutes in means you have no idea what he has discussed. You really should watch the video before making a comment.

Given this guy's history of being a fucking idiot, I think I can assume a few things.

But yeah, I'm watching it.

Nullifidian 08-12-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957943)

If that's the case, he's doing a really poor job of getting a message across. He dresses up his stories in vagueness up to the point where the story is just an event that happened without any clear message and when he does finally give a concrete conclusion he gives no explanation for it. Not to mention that he jumps to conclusions that are illogical to begin with. When he was talking about shame for example, he makes a lot of assumptions that don't make sense. Feeling shame is not the same as feeling empathy, and when he mentions how a rapist could just use medicine to ignore shame (lol) it doesn't at all mean that the rapist will get away with it or that rational thinking people will all turn into this (which is what he's implying when he says that when we feel no shame we turn into monsters). Even more so, most rapists have psychological issues that go far deeper than simple shame and feeling shame won't be reason enough for them to just magically stop. It's oversimplifying what is actually at play. There are just so many things he's saying that don't make any sense. Too much to address. They're fancy faux-profound stories.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:13 PM

"The sacred meaning of marriage, the sacred meaning of sexuality."

Sacred based on what?

"Coherent set of answers to the existential questions that confront all human beings through their passage of life."

Well guys, that coherent set of answers is actually the Bible. That's it. Life answered. I have seen the light. Time to set aside all rational thinking and live my life out using a fairy tale.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957957)
Given this guy's history of being a fucking idiot, I think I can assume a few things.

But yeah, I'm watching it.

Who's history? Also, please no profanity.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:18 PM

Ravi's history lmao.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957956)
Watch the video. Focus on one example first.

Didn't notice the video you sent.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957964)
Ravi's history lmao.

What do you know about Ravi's history then?

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957965)
Didn't notice the video you sent.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyd6om8IC4M

I'm mostly posting this for everyone else reading the thread, since this video is one of the best/easily-understood videos on the internet for understanding morality and why Creationists are full of shit when it comes to stuff like this.

This one is also good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHoyTvyh4o

But people who have already been brainwashed by religion won't ever bother to take either of these videos into intellectually honest, careful consideration, so I am not posting this to you: I already know you won't respond to them in an honest way.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957966)
What do you know about Ravi's history then?

The fact that he thinks that Christianity can answer everything about life (including destiny (which is bullshit)), the fact that he SKIPS OVER empirical evidence for evolution in order to justify creationism, and that his sermons are generally 45-minute long appeal-to-emotion fallacies.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:26 PM

11 minutes in and I'm fairly certain he's twisting personal experiences to his cause, nice one!

edit: oops he brought up tolerance. Tolerance is literally hindering scientific progress so uh, yeah man.

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957973)
11 minutes in and I'm fairly certain he's twisting personal experiences to his cause, nice one!

edit: oops he brought up tolerance. Tolerance is literally hindering scientific progress so uh, yeah man.

andy-o24 08-12-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957967)

Very good find. That is clear and sensible.

-o24

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:33 PM

Okay, I can't fucking handle this anymore. I wonder if anyone in the audience is tracking with him, although I'd be willing to bet that the majority are smiling and nodding their heads when he says anything relating to Christianity.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957950)
Oh, if you want to see an example of this guy's logic getting shat upon (and if you want to learn where morality comes from)

Well, first thing I noticed is that when he repeated back what Ravi Zacharias said, he actually didn't understand. What Ravi is saying that for there to be a frame work of absolute morality, there must be a being that can give it. If there isn't than what the person in the video has said is true. But I never did hear as to why these things exist. All I saw was him saying how things work under certain circumstances. Never really as the how these idea's exist.

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957967)
I already know you won't respond to them in an honest way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957982)
Well, first thing I noticed is that when he repeated back what Ravi Zacharias said, he actually didn't understand. What Ravi is saying that for there to be a frame work of absolute morality, there must be a being that can give it. If there isn't than what the person in the video has said is true. But I never did hear as to why these things exist. All I saw was him saying how things work under certain circumstances. Never really as the how these idea's exist.

checkmate

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Well, first thing I noticed is that when he repeated back what Ravi Zacharias said, he actually didn't understand

Can you prove this?

This is a serious question by the way. What makes his understanding wrong, and what is the "right" way to understand what Ravi said?

Izzy 08-12-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

What Ravi is saying that for there to be a frame work of absolute morality, there must be a being that can give it.

Why would you assume this? There is a massive disconnect in logic.

Either way it would be impossible for "absolute morality" to exist assuming that meant everyone followed the exact same moral code. Which isn't true. Everyone has their own opinions of life and their morals are dependent on their personal experiences. Overall in a society you can build some kind of moral standards that are generally adhered to because it is in everyone best interest.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3957984)
Can you prove this?

The example he uses to refer back to what Ravi has said is about the sun and it's rising. Well, morality and what causes it's function to be there is what he is talking about. The basis of these two things are different. One happens such as the sun going over head, while the other one is there, but why does anyone live by these things? Nothing then is wrong if these values are not upheld.

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:43 PM

In other words you didn't actually watch my videos that explain why your argument holds no water

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3957991)
In other words you didn't actually watch my videos that explain why your argument holds no water

I did.

Izzy 08-12-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957989)
The example he uses to refer back to what Ravi has said is about the sun and it's rising. Well, morality and what causes it's function to be there is what he is talking about. The basis of these two things are different. One happens such as the sun going over head, while the other one is there, but why does anyone live by these things? Nothing then is wrong if these values are not upheld.

I like how you totally didn't understand the metaphor used to point out the flaw in logic. That or you are just ignoring it because you don't want to believe this guy is wrong.

Denial is a powerful thing.

Let me break it down for you. The weird guy is saying

If A then B, if B then C, if C then D must be true.
If D is true, then C is true, if C is true then B is true, if B is true then A is true.

The problem is that there was a jump from C to D that was a fallacy.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3957995)
I like how you totally didn't understand the metaphor used to point out the flaw in logic. That or you are just ignoring it because you don't want to believe this guy is wrong.

Denial is a powerful thing.

How then can denial be a powerful thing? What logical sense then upholds yours over mine? Why do you assume yours is right and mine is wrong? Without something holding these things up, then no matter how well you try to put something together, another's idea can overcome yours.

Reincarnate 08-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957994)
I did.

Then you have a comprehension issue, since your questions have already been addressed and yet you carry on anyway

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957989)

Izzy 08-12-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3957997)
How then can denial be a powerful thing? What logical sense then upholds yours over mine? Why do you assume yours is right and mine is wrong? Without something holding these things up, then no matter how well you try to put something together, another's idea can overcome yours.

That's now how denial works. You are ignoring things and we are taking them into consideration. That alone already makes you look like a fool.

If it was a matter of opinion then sure, but you are dealing with things that be tested and potentially proven.

Frank Munoz 08-12-2013 06:48 PM

What a nice looking black man.

Tps222 08-12-2013 06:48 PM

The tides come in and go out. Explain that.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tps222 (Post 3958003)
The tides come in and go out. Explain that.

The existence of the tides, and the law the governor's their motions. Explain how the tides exist in the first place?

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3958000)
That's now how denial works. You are ignoring things and we are taking them into consideration. That alone already makes you look like a fool.

If it was a matter of opinion then sure, but you are dealing with things that be tested and potentially proven.

Actually I am using your logic. The idea that things have no basis of being there, and simply is because we want them to be so. You in the end are stealing from the Christian world view by believe your idea has a stance to be right and not wrong.

Izzy 08-12-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star reaper (Post 3958006)
Actually I am using your logic. The idea that things have no basis of being there, and simply is because we want them to be so. You in the end are stealing from the Christian world view by believe your idea has a stance to be right and not wrong.

Oh, I was unaware that christianity invented right and wrong. Thank you.

Choofers 08-12-2013 06:56 PM

holy shit lmao

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3958007)

Actually, Christianity explains why there is a definite reason for right and wrong. If man decides what is right and wrong, then another can overturn it.

star reaper 08-12-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3958007)

Also what makes your definition of right and wrong superior to others? Evolution has no claim of truth because truth is relative to each man if there isn't a higher power that puts it there.

Izzy 08-12-2013 07:04 PM

You win, you are unfathomably intelligent and I can't find any way to give a rebuttal.