Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 12-9-2015 10:14 PM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 252: Jane Doe by Converge (Album Choice: noname219)

As a person who doesn't particularly care for metalcore, I've gotta say this was a pretty damn good album.

Do I need to say more?

Good riffs and guitar tones, I thought the singer was a woman, technical work without coming off as wanky, blah de blah, emotional content is good, songwriting is done well (time signatures man) and the length is perfect. If I make a dick joke here it wouldn't be funny. But then I guess I just implied one.

Best Track: Phoenix In Flight
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 12-13-2015 10:02 PM

Day 253: EARTHMASS by EARTHMASS (Album Choice: squeesfan)

Yesterday I saw Between The Buried And Me. They didn't play White Walls.

This is a pretty decent album... EP... Whatever. Needs to be shorter regardless of whichever it is. I'd like to hear a full album from these guys lest it not contain too many 20 minute songs.

Best Track: Spire
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 12-17-2015 07:56 PM

Day 254: Tracing Structures by Terminal11 (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

I'm trying to listen to as many 2015 albums as possible before the end of the year. This is literally the only album I've got on my list of requests that was released in 2015, which makes sense since most requests were made in the summer of 2014.

If you actually read these OR EVEN IF YOU DON'T recommend some of your favorite or most hated 2015 albums. I'll probably review them, breaking my earlier limit of 10 albums a person.

Anyways, I dig this guy, and I like the funky acid style this album has, not to mention it's a perfect length. However, there are no obvious highlights and it does get pretty samey.

Best Track: Tracing Structures though not by a wide margin at all
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 12-17-2015 08:31 PM

Day 255: Exercises in Futility by Mgła

This is the 7th best album of 2015? This is some corny bullshit.

Best Track: The 6th one is the closest to sounding good
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 12-17-2015 09:16 PM

Day 256: Viet Cong by Viet Cong

I've never listened to Women because I have no sex life. Thus, this album is held to no standards. And I like it a ton! The drums/drum loops on this album are phenomenal as is the use of repetition, the fuzz and noise levels are both gloriously psychedelic, they can pull off long songs without getting boring and instead of being front-loaded it's backloaded. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's at least fresh!

I'm losing my standards of judgement rapidly... That's a lie I never had any lol.

Best Track: Death or March of Progress
Rating: 8/10

Surt 12-17-2015 10:07 PM

2015...Umio & Xyqph - FLOAT and Vospi - STOLEN VIP were both pretty choice. If you don't mind doubling up on artists, Caravan Palace - <I°_°I> was also good.

While we're on the subject, mind swapping out my Metome - Phreatic Surface request for Metome - OPUS Cloud?

xVaLoRx 12-17-2015 11:02 PM

squarepusher - go plastic

rayword45 12-18-2015 05:40 PM

Day 257: Dry Food by Palehound

In another spur of the moment event in my bizarre life, I decided I'm gonna go see this lady in less than two hours. Convenient that she has a 2015 album.

Based on the tags and punk respect I was expecting more energy, but other than the first track this is a rather lowkey affair. Fuzz, reverb and acoustic guitars all make their way in here but in very laidback arrangements, and the best way to describe this woman's voice is slumberly. I just invented an adverb.

It's quite good, albeit a tad brief but this kind of album will require repeated listens to see if it's of substance. A pleasant first impression is good though!

Is the title a Folk Implosion reference? If so add a bonus point.

Best Track: Cinnamon

rayword45 12-18-2015 06:42 PM

Day 258: FOUR by Mini Dresses

Tonight's openers are too generic and too cutesy, even considering the title.

Best Track: Center Of A Room
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-18-2015 07:00 PM

Day 259: THREE by Mini Dresses

Tonight's openers are too generic and too cutesy, even considering the title. Also they barely count as local.

Best Track: Other Ones
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-21-2015 07:46 AM

Day 260: Simple Songs by Jim O'Rourke

This guy isn't a Canadian? Somehow, these jazzy jangly pop songs gave me the idea that he comes from north of this shitty country, but I guess not. Good arrangement skills though.

Best Track: Half-Life Crisis

rayword45 12-21-2015 09:23 PM

Day 261: Purpose by Justin Bieber (Album Choice: Jonathan V.)

Believe remains one of the worst fucking albums I've ever heard and I would not be sad if I found that the the master tape had been destroyed as well as every copy in existence, digital and physical, followed by announcement of Justin Bieber's death via safari accident in Wisconsin. I'd seriously rather drop a gram of diphenhydramine while watching the Star Wars Holiday Special on loop strapped to a chair made of mayonnaise and horse feces than listen to that album. Well actually, no I wouldn't, but you get the picture. HORRIBLE.

Contrastly, this album isn't so bad. It's still bad, but it's more of a boring, "why am I listening to this" bad than "OH GOD MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT ST" kind of bad.

Best Track: What Do You Mean?
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 12-22-2015 07:41 AM

Day 262: STOLEN VIP by Vospi (Album Choice: Surt)

This makes me think of In The Groove 3. I wish that game had been officially released, because I'm one of ten people who prefers awkward technical charts to 3 minutes of 280bpm 16th stream. This album is... Okay I guess. It sounds like Vospi. Some of the tracks are really nice, some sound like they belong in a video game, probably because they do. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I rarely listen to VG soundtracks so fuck you I'm biased.

Best Track: empathy (total trust mix VIP)

rayword45 12-24-2015 03:14 PM

Day 263: Flood Dosed by Guerilla Toss

These guys veer closer and closer to space rock with every release. This is good hypnotic stuff but I would prefer shorter songs with a greater quantity.

Not very festive.

Best Track: Ritual In Light

rayword45 12-24-2015 04:09 PM

Day 264: You're Better Than This by Pile

This album is sorely lacking in emotive rockers, which is easily what these guys do best. There's no Prom Song, there's no Don't Touch Anything, the closest things are Mr. Fish and Appendicitis, both of which pale in comparison to the aforementioned two. There's a lot more punk energy than previous albums but I'm not as fond of those tracks in general, although it is admittedly best executed here.

Not very festive.

Best Track: #2 Hit Single

rayword45 12-24-2015 09:41 PM

Day 265: Old King, New Trash Fire by Lil Brow Wow

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST MIXTAPE I'VE EVER HEARD HOLY SHIT EVERYONE NEEDS TO DOWNLOAD THIS OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING DOWNLOAD IT when it comes out OH MY GOD THOSE BEATS OH MY GOD THOSE LYRICS OH MY GOD THEM FEATURES OH MY GOD THAT FLOW

EVERYBODY DOWNLOAD when it comes out YOU WON'T REGRET IT

THIS IS SO GODDAMN GOOD ITS MAKING MY MIND EXPLODE AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

very festive bro, that Baby Grizzly can rap

BEST TRACK: ALL OF THEM but especially Booty *****s
RATING: 10/10

MarcusHawkins 12-24-2015 09:51 PM

I think we have our first ever 10/10 in this thread!
You've found the album of albums, man!!

rayword45 12-24-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusHawkins (Post 4387535)
I think we have our first ever 10/10 in this thread!
You've found the album of albums, man!!

I also gave a 10/10 to Swag Ain't Cheap by Young Daquan and retrospectively gave a 10/10 to The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun by Natural Snow Buildings.

Considering most of my 5/5s on RYM have personal meaning to me Natural Snow Buildings get mad props.

rayword45 12-26-2015 03:41 PM

Day 266: Welcome to JFK by Chinx (Album Choice: David H.)

This guy is dead but all I can ponder when I listen to this is whether or not I should find his name offensive or not.

I'm conflicted, because as an album this doesn't work at all. It's ridiculously samey and repetitive, and there was no need to make Die Young 7 minutes. I was bored by the fourth track but on that note, I recognize this guy had good consistency and all of these tracks individually would hold up to the club. Headphones no, bass system yes.

...eh.

Best Track: The Other Side

rayword45 12-26-2015 06:35 PM

Day 267: Garden of Delete by Oneohtrix Point Never

I really like this guy's aesthetic. The vaporwave tinges aren't cheesy but legitimately nostalgic in an early Windows kinda way, as well as the acid influence. Plus, the album remains gripping throughout. Keeper.

Not very festive, and Christmas is over.

Best Track: Mutant Standard