Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "EXP bar" denoting how far u are from a division/skillpoint cutoff~ (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=141625)

s1rnight 04-15-2015 04:31 AM

"EXP bar" denoting how far u are from a division/skillpoint cutoff~

i'm not hugely interested in being rank ___ at the game really, heheh. (it is more of a PvE than a PvP experience with me, as i am sure it is for a lot of people)

that said, a cool bar that shows me how far i am the next division or a certain skill cutoff might be really cool! it could even be subdivided as well, hehe~ maybe into 100 "levels" by rough 100 point boundaries?

s1rnight 04-15-2015 04:33 AM

Re: "EXP bar" denoting how far u are from a division/skillpoint cutoff~

i guess for example, since i have a sigma of 3,436 points, it could manifest as bein at "level 34", with a bar filled 36% of the way. it could give u an alert every time you grow a level! (this would be even more exciting for new players who, could potentially gain a whole bunch of levels at once just from starting to play. this game could certainly use more immediate gratification starting out, i think!)

Rapta 04-15-2015 04:37 AM

I would like for this happen because this sounds really cool!

Red Blaster 04-15-2015 05:28 AM

More Osu features pls

remedy1502 04-15-2015 06:09 AM

It would be great, except for the fact that users have no idea what will be giving them experience. I have no idea what scores I need in order to improve my skill rating. It'd be great to know for goal setting purposes but lolnope

Wayward Vagabond 04-15-2015 06:14 AM

This could be done if the Tier Point list is used. Would need to further split each tier though which is fine imo

EzExZeRo7497 04-15-2015 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remedy1502 (Post 4304364)
It would be great, except for the fact that users have no idea what will be giving them experience. I have no idea what scores I need in order to improve my skill rating. It'd be great to know for goal setting purposes but lolnope

Yeah, I feel that an EXP bar would be pretty meaningless if you're blindly playing songs and hopefully getting a good score on and beats out at least one of your top 4 scores.

Maybe a combination of both showing how much skill rating you need to be at a particular level/division and a couple of recommendations of what songs to play (and what score to get) will help. Maybe the recommendations could be based on the average difficulty of best SDGs and best AAAs to ensure that the recommendations aren't too far-fetched.

To my knowledge the formula is being tinkered though, so I'm not expecting something like this to be implemented any time soon

Dynam0 04-15-2015 07:07 AM

Tier points hello

_Zenith_ 04-15-2015 08:01 AM

Cool idea but like Eze and Dynam0 said, Tier Points is pretty much a "level up system" but it needs work in order to further exemplify this.

The thing is, players past D6 (if any form of "level up system" is brought in-game) would already be like level 80+ unless it isn't retroactive (which would be stupid).

I could see the Tier Point system working like this:

Tiers would be reworked (unless given that they are division guidelines but that was already told with the new Tier Point system; "Getting a 7/7 Tier Point would bring you high D5/Low D6...".

Having Tiers and/or the points gain resemble that of the difficulty range of particular divisions. Say you are in Tier 1 with 300 TPs. You need x amount of TPs to not only level up in that Tier, but you can get said points by playing x songs between the x and x range.

Lastly, a player-made "EXP System" was made although I do not know what definitions it uses to "Level" a player up; It was the FFR RPG event which you can see some players sporting in their signatures (Take Gold Stinger's for example).

I think that this is a cool discussion and worth while to have but there is a lot of ground that needs to be covered.

XCV 04-15-2015 08:37 AM

while we're talking about ways to improve TPs, it'd be really nice to have little things next to the raw score boundaries that say like "20 clean" or "blackflag" or whatever, like it used to do

TheSaxRunner05 04-15-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Zenith_ (Post 4304382)

Lastly, a player-made "EXP System" was made although I do not know what definitions it uses to "Level" a player up; It was the FFR RPG event which you can see some players sporting in their signatures (Take Gold Stinger's for example).

I think that this is a cool discussion and worth while to have but there is a lot of ground that needs to be covered.

It used a combination of FCs, AAAs, skill tokens , and most importantly, GT. It also gave exp for participating in events. It had a pretty massive following from the forum going FFR community, and I could see it doing well as a feature of the site. The scaling would need reworked however, considering we had a few level 100+ players and they ran out of badges.

Untimely Friction 04-15-2015 12:52 PM

Idk about a level up bar, perhaps tier points could be included throughout the rest of the low ranked songs (Sounds like a buttload of work), but I strongly agree that some instant gratification is gonna keep people around.

Tidus810 04-15-2015 01:36 PM

I think this is a potentially good idea. Although the thing with tier points is that they force you to channel your efforts at a specific set of charts. This is the inevitable result of how tier points are rewarded, for sure. Plus if you're, for example, a lower tier player, suppose you go to each of those charts within your skill range and score moderately well on them. But at the same time, most charts that are more challenging are still a little out of reach for you. It becomes "ok earn these tier points, now go play random other stuff to improve, ok come back play those same charts again and then go play these slightly harder ones".

It's not inherently bad, it works, but there may be more gratification in a system with gradual "leveling up" where each successive level requires more effort and skill in order to progress. But yeah, some sort of EXP system, where you can see your level and how close you are to the next, would provide sufficient motivation for a lot of players I think.

AutotelicBrown 04-15-2015 04:57 PM

I guess showing the skill rating of your score in the results screen would be useful already?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 (Post 4304367)
To my knowledge the formula is being tinkered though, so I'm not expecting something like this to be implemented any time soon

Unless the possibility of losing xp due to formula changes is a major problem, working on something like that should be completely independent of the formula in itself (and I believe they'd be related to different staff members as well).

MinaciousGrace 04-15-2015 06:02 PM

no i disagree because the next step after this is cash shop xp boosts and then the whole game goes to shit (not that it hasn't already)

Untimely Friction 04-15-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace (Post 4304530)
no i disagree because the next step after this is cash shop xp boosts and then the whole game goes to shit (not that it hasn't already)

Well if you feel it's already gone to shit comparative to freemium, why not support a freemium plan, god knows this site could use some independant funding.

uzzbuzz 04-30-2015 07:15 PM

Heh, basically all the tier points are way out of my reach. (Aren't they all like 55's or higher?) I can barely almost AAA some 30's only :P

YoshL 04-30-2015 08:01 PM

mod should move this to bug reports and suggestions subforum
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...splay.php?f=15

PrawnSkunk 04-30-2015 08:01 PM

I like this idea a lot! :D

If the scope of skill rating was expanded beyond your top 4 scores, every improvement would give you a sense of progression. I'll make an update here after I've made some headway, so please continue to let me know what you'd like to see out of a leveling system!

Trumpet63 04-30-2015 10:52 PM

Hey, cool thread, thought I'd chime in. Commenting on the op, I think the fact that difficulties go from 1 to 99, as does skill rating, makes this a pretty obvious choice for some fancy graphical level up nonsense. I should also mention that, from the angle of divisions, I completely support the idea of a relative, more meaningful rank, like percentile.

Stats is kinda my thing, so, y'know, keep the ideas flowing :)