Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 09-2-2021 01:32 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 883: A Martyr's Reward by Ka

Good beats, good length of songs, good length of album, great wordplay in the lyrics, but for the most part the understated delivery fails to inspire great passion from me. Still, I recognize this album is very well-made and I did enjoy it. So that's that.

Best Track: I Notice
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 09-3-2021 12:09 PM

Day 884: Spiral by DARKSIDE

Bored.

Best Track: My ass
Rating: 5.5/10

Crazyjayde 09-6-2021 01:02 PM

Quebec :
Malaimé Soleil - Fumée
Pottery - Welcome to Bobby's Motel
Teke Teke - Shirushi
Yoo Doo Right - Don't Think You Can Escape Your Purpose
zouz - EP2

Pearls :
Alif - Aynama-Rtama
BAP. - Monkshood
Deepchord Presents Echospace - Liumin
Horsey - Debonair
Jordaan Mason - Divorce Lawyers
Qujaku - Qujaku
Ross From Friends - Family Portrait
Thank - Please
Tomaga - Intimate Immensity

Just sharing, you don't have to review nothing. Cheers. :)

rayword45 09-7-2021 10:35 AM

Day 885: Hobo Johnson Alienates His Fanbase by Hobo Johnson

I was feeling particularly self-loathing today and wanted to torture myself. I succeeded.

Best Track: Are you actually thinking of listening to this horseshit?
Best Track: 1.5/10

rayword45 09-7-2021 03:29 PM

Day 886: Sometimes I Might Be Introvert by Little Simz

I just wanted to beat the melon here. I can't be contrarian because this is definitely one of the best things I've heard this year, all 60something minutes of it.

Best Track: Protect My Energy
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 09-12-2021 10:25 PM

Day 887: Certified Lover Boy by Drake (Album Choice: Multiple people IRL)

People like this guy. People suck. This album sucks. This guy is a pedophile. I can't believe I sat and listened through 90 minutes of pedophile music.

Best Track: Papi's Home (god, even the song titles bother me)
Rating: 1/10

aperson 09-12-2021 11:02 PM

wow u caved to peer pressure and listened to 90 minutes of pedo music. sad

rayword45 09-19-2021 04:59 PM

Day 888: Squaring The Circle by Sneaker Pimps

Becoming X is still one of my favorite albums ever and still what I believe to be the best album to fuck to. Not gonna be updating that list for a while.

This... Man it just ain't the same without Kelli Ali. It's not bad, it's just bland and mediocre. If 888 is a benchmark number then I will count this as comparing a band that made a 10/10 to... this.

Best Track: Do You Care?
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 09-20-2021 11:59 AM

Day 889: By The Time I Get To Phoenix by Injury Reserve

People are going crazy over this one. I think their 2019 album was better. Do people just like this more because it's more experimental or something? It's got a lot that's technically impressive and creative, but the whole vibe is just less fun.

Oh, one of the guys in the group died last year. That might explain the vibe change a bit.

Best Track: Knees
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 09-20-2021 01:10 PM

Day 890: No Sun by Nite Jewel

I came in here expecting something like Kelly Lee Owens but this sounds nothing like that, which is disappointing because I need more stuff in that vein to heal my brain, but I can't judge this album based on those merits.

I can judge it on being only about half good, and for something so short I would expect more than half. Making my best of 2021 list is probably gonna be hard.

Best Track: #14

rayword45 09-20-2021 02:22 PM

Day 891: Luminol by Midwife

This album is also very same-y... Yet I enjoyed just letting myself lay and wash in the reverb-y vibes the whole time, and not a single second felt wasted. Hooray that I like something.

Best Track: 2020
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 09-21-2021 03:20 PM

Day 892: Antiphonals by Sarah Davachi

My brain is sad and broken and this collection of loops hits my brain hard.

When will life be enjoyable again?

Best Track: Seriously, when?
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 09-23-2021 03:44 PM

Day 893: Montero by Lil Nas X

Y'know, there's something that just feels so... contradictory about this entire release to me, and I can't put my finger on it but it honestly makes the whole thing MORE appealing somehow. Like in a way, this feels like Lil Nas X is trying to legitimize his place as an "artist" and put out something that can make him respected as more than just the meme guy who made the cowboy song with Billy Ray Cyrus and Nine Inch Nails that they refused to classify as country until a white guy was singing on it. At the same time, somehow the entire vibe of this is incredibly corporate-dressed, perfectly pressed pop rap made specifically to target a young 13-25 crowd that dude probably didn't have that much creative control over, engineered to a tee. You also get the feeling that all of these features (Elton John? Really?) are here just to make a quick buck and maintain relevance through name association, yet none of their performances stick out as particularly bad.

Overall, two listens through and I enjoyed basically every second of this, and it might be irony-poisoning influencing me but shit, although Lil Nas X has more than a few corny bar I would totally go to a party right now where they played this album on loop.

Best Track: Scoop
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 09-24-2021 11:37 AM

Day 894: If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power by Halsey

I don't need to write much right now and I shouldn't be because I'm packing at the moment for a move in 2 days. And you should be able to Google this shit on the off chance you've NEVER heard a Halsey song. I'ma say that past stuff from her wasn't really my forte, and this album is a bit... mid to me right now in that I really RESPECT the stylistic variation but the songs I like most are the bangers, especially when shit gets into borderline breakcore territory, while the ballads I'm just eh on. Don't care about lyrics this time, just pure energy, this I WILL revisit before 2022.

Best Track: Girl Is A Gun
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 09-24-2021 02:19 PM

Day 895: Sling by Clairo

I know a lot of dudes who are super horny for this singer. I am not. Whether I was or not, I'd like to believe it wouldn't change my opinion on this music, which is boring and doesn't inspire me to write more than one thought about it.

Best Track: Meh

rayword45 09-24-2021 03:33 PM

Day 896: All of These Rose Petals by Vatista

I literally found this by trying to see what the breakcore album from 2021 with the highest number of ratings on RYM was. And, of course, it had to be one with nightcore as a subgenre.

Actually, that's not fair, there have been one-off nightcore or nightcore-adjacent things I've enjoyed, like, uh... My friends thought that Goreshit was nightcore so I think that counts?

Either way, this is a brief project, 8 tracks, 22 minutes. The artist self-described this as
Quote:

A personal exploration of unreciprocated crushes, lost lovers, and finding happiness in a life tangential to love
and to that I say, now I see why your love life failed. Because I HATE this. It's same-y, and I hate the vibe that is being repeated the same. Maybe it's my fragile emotional state making me biased against this but I listened to this three times and I could not pick out a single track that I personally enjoyed, and the whole thing just made me angry. It doesn't make me think of actual felt emotions, but rather some kitsch-y, overly bubbly idealization of what someone THINKS love feels like. I guess I can respect some of the drum programming, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

I need help...

Best Track: I literally just told you, NONE
Rating: 2.5/10

rayword45 09-29-2021 11:57 AM

Day 897: The North Water by Tim Hecker

I didn't like this that much compared to almost everything else I've heard from him, but my opinions on him can be contrarian sometimes because I think that minimalist one after Virgins is better than Virgins.

Best Track: A Breather

rayword45 09-29-2021 04:05 PM

Day 898: Julius Eastman Vol. 1: Femenine by Julius Eastman and Wild Up (Album Choice: OnionBurger12)

Someone compared this to Steve Reich and I quite like some of his albums. I didn't like this, it went between boring and annoying me. It's definitely meant to be listened to as a singular piece, but eh whatever I'm just word vomiting here ugh corporate life sucks

Best Track: yo mama
Rating: 4.5/10

Deadlyx39 09-29-2021 04:06 PM

Way late cause it came out a couple months ago, but Colors II by Between the Buried and Me is pretty good.

rayword45 09-30-2021 01:08 PM

Day 899: A Beginner's Mind by Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine

This dude released 6 albums this year and this is the only one that isn't supposed to suck. It doesn't suck, but it bores me.

Best Track: No