Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

Plics 05-28-2023 02:24 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp

Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers

rayword45 06-16-2023 05:52 PM

Day (Day?!) 1018: by Fever Ray (Album Choice: IRL friend I'm not naming)

Exactly a month hiatus!

My friend told me a couple months ago that he was staying in unless he found cheap tickets for this guy live that night. I don't remember what night it was, I just remember that I was at a different show and that I saw no cheap tickets for this show online whenever I looked in assistance. Anyways, here we go.

Oh yeah, I've actually listened to several new albums over the past month... and I've forgotten how I've felt about most of them. I wish my ADHD wasn't so bad because now I'm only gonna review and score something if I re-listen to it, no matter how strong those memories are. We're starting with this one because it was the most recent, and that makes it easy.

Honestly, for the most part I think this is actually pretty cool. I'm not sure it's super innovative or unique or anything, but it's fun synthy indie pop stuff with a moderately weird edge to it, and it has a cohesive enough style without feeling too repetitive. I especially like the noisier, more atonal cuts. My only complaint is that sometimes the vocals are a bit TOO theatrical, but I think this is pretty solid overall.

Actually, second complaint, what the fuck is that makeup?

Best Track: nah
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 06-20-2023 01:26 PM

Day 1019: O Monolith by Squid

Sadly, or not so sadly depending on your outlook, this has nothing to do with the Kyle Ward song.

These guys put on a pretty fun performance when I saw them live, but I'm still not totally in love with their last album. The Talking Heads aping works a lot better on a stage than on a recording. Regardless, though, that has little to do with this album because this is a pretty MASSIVE stylistic shift. Now instead of zoomers attempting to mimic the more angular new wave and dance-punk of the 70s and 80s, we have zoomers attempting to go all krautrock but somewhat modernized.

The results? Decent. Decent-to-good. The ambition is admirable either way, but just like many windmill bands, I find this to be a bundle of joy at times, a snoozer at others. There's 8 tracks here and they average over 5 minutes a piece, and ultimately I'm not sure that was a totally necessary decision. Whatever, I'd see them live again to hear just how they tackle this stuff, and ultimately, since that's the most money they'd ever get from me, isn't that what matters?

Best Track: The Blades
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 06-22-2023 12:42 PM

Day 1020: We're Still Here by HIRS

With this and Jerome's Dream this whole type of -core/-violence sound seems to be surging in popularity. Did I miss a trendsetting event that explains this?

This album is fun and I think the queer themes are cool, but it's definitely not gonna be on my year end list. Cool guest appearances though.

Okay next.

Best Track: The one with Melt-Banana
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 06-22-2023 03:17 PM

Day 1021: Seeking the Sources of Streams by Cicada

What's the deal with airplane-provided free music selections?

Best Track: Remains of Ancient Trees

rayword45 07-10-2023 09:02 PM

Day 1022: the new dds

Darklife was better but this is pretty good.

Best Track: Joseph Matriarch

rayword45 07-13-2023 10:05 AM

Day 1023: Please Touch by Rrose (Album Choice: septuagenarian)

I'll get to a lot more requests from other people soon.... or maybe not soon but eventually.... and maybe not a lot but at least a few, I swear to god. Anyways, I picked this one because I needed something minimal for work purposes, and because seeing Rrose live in a sweaty illegal warehouse rave was a divine experience. I will fully cop to being pretty dumb when it comes to techno, which is a bit tough in NYC because people here are obsessed with being the most elitist techno snob of them all via only listening to that underground shit and turning their nose up at "business techno". At the very least, I know this ain't business techno, because business techno artists don't play LGBTQ-only techno-only DJ showcases inside unlicensed sweatboxes. The only artist that I KNOW is considered that stupid-ass term is Charlotte De Witte and over here she plays the biggest, shittiest venue in Brooklyn for more than $100 a pop.

This is considerably more minimal than Hymn to Moisture but also feels a lot groovier. The descriptions of each album on Bandcamp articulate the differences pretty well, as the 2019 album definitely felt more like it was going for "natural" or "pastoral" vibes with field recordings manipulated hard enough that I couldn't tell they were field recordings. This doesn't completely eschew that sort of atmosphere, in fact I'd say it's largely got a similar approach to things, but the biggest difference upon side-by-side comparison is that this new album makes you wanna shake your ass a lot more frequently. Well, perhaps not shake your ass, but bob your head up-and-down to the tempo. Therefore, I prefer it.

Seriously though, techno elitists are the fucking worst.

Best Track: Feeding Time
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 07-26-2023 03:13 PM

Day 1024: Erotic Probiotic 2 by Nourished By Time.

I keep listening to this album, telling myself I'll write this review, then fail to write this review, then listen to the album again, and so on and so on with the cycle. Well, let's kill the cycle in its tracks. The score I'm going to give this is a 7.

Best Track: The vocals are pretty interesting throughout
Rating: 7/11 was a part-time job, but this is a 7/10

rayword45 07-26-2023 08:24 PM

Day 1025: The Whaler by Home Is Where

The other day my concert buddy said something during a conversation between us and some randos at Elsewhere. To paraphrase, it was something along the lines of

"I don't even really listen to that much emo at home, but live emo just hits different sometimes, man."

I'm not as in love with live emo as he is, but I think I concur with that general sentiment. What may seem cathartic and passionate in a concert setting could end up coming across as overwrought and try-hard on a recording, or even corny sometimes. That's not ALL emo, and to be crystal clear I'm speaking about midwest emo and adjacent genres. I would never describe something like Unwound or Rites of Spring that way, and I mostly wouldn't apply that to acoustic sadsack stuff akin to (fuck you bperson) Elliott Smith as when that kinda stuff is bad it grates in a totally different way that is less laughable and more legitimately annoying.

To get to the point, this is a pretty well-made album, I can recognize that. I also recognize that I would probably find this to be emotionally impactful with live guitars blasting in my face, but most of it performed in a studio just comes across as... not for me. I'm not sure how to articulate. It's not ALL like that, as some of these tracks do hit, especially the more aggressive, screamy ones, but ultimately I'm just not in tune with this stuff I don't think.

Best Track: Even though I hate the stupidly edgy title, Everyday Feels Like 9/11
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 08-2-2023 12:21 PM

Day 1026: The Loveliest Time by Carly Rae Jepsen

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4763461)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4763454)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 518868)
Economic Left/Right: 0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Right down the middle with a libertarian slant... exactly what I expected.

also boomer

almost dont want to roast you for that one lmfao
but anyway bro why is it every time I open your music review thread the only music you pull from is pitchfork and rym

I try to look through other sources, but at the end of the day, I go with what FOMO tells me to listen to most. And that usually ends up being what's popular amongst the music nerds for reasons I myself don't fully understand, or what's popular amongst the mainstream because I don't want to be a TOTAL hipster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apersonagain
you're turning into kewpie

Kewpie... Or BANANA CREAM PIE?!

Yes that was a joke about my immense gayness.

Anyways, this seems to be similar to Dedicated Side B in that it seemingly comes from largely the same writing and recording sessions as the album from the year prior. This time around, they decided to not call this a collection of B-Sides/outtakes and my guess is that the stigma made marketing difficult, so probably a good choice. Another similarity to Dedicated Side B is that this is a way better album than the A-Side collection. In regards to the 2019/2020 album, that's my personal take that's not commonly agreed with, but in this case, it seems to be the dominant opinion. The power of marketing!

I wonder if the extra year was used by Carly and her producers for minor tweaks and improvements, because all around this seems like a tighter, slimmer album with production that pops out at you more, with far less filler and far less moments of boredom. My biggest qualm would be that this doesn't feel like a cohesive album at all but indeed just a collection of random session highlights, but when the songs are this good, that doesn't matter too much I don't think. I'd put this up there, or rather just below, other synthy pop albums of recent days that I adore for their uplifting qualities like Mercurial World and even Prom King minus the sentimental value I attach to the latter.

Yeah, this is her best since E·MO·TION. Guess I'm a flaming homo, huh?

Best Track: Kamikaze or After Last Night
Rating: 8.5/10

robertsona 08-2-2023 05:15 PM

check out the Geese album from June I think there’s a chance you’ll love it

rayword45 08-12-2023 12:42 PM

Day 1027: new George Clanton

The best thing about this album is that if I see him live a fourth time he won't do the same setlist as the first three times

Best Track: too hungover to answer

Trogdor!!!! 08-12-2023 01:02 PM

5.5 is a harsh rating, but I get it. I'm not really a fan at all of his stuff but I actually kinda liked his new record. A lot of his stuff sounds same-y to me

rayword45 08-16-2023 02:07 PM

Day 1028: new Lauren Bousfield

I liked it better without vocals.

Best Track: Deserted Olympic Villages
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 08-18-2023 02:04 PM

Day 1029: Pink Tape by Lil Uzi Vert

I wonder if anyone will be frustrated that after what feels like months of one-liner and non-sequitur joke reviews, I feel obligated to write at least a paragraph for this thing. I mean, it's so fucking long, and Uzi has been a cultural phenomenon for almost a decade now. Not to mention, those features... ah who am I kidding? Nobody gives a shit either way.

Anyways, I've never listened to this dude as an albums person. He has some singles that are truly iconic, but that's about it. His past mixtapes have been inconsistent, overlong and poorly sequenced, although perhaps judging the track ordering of a mixtape isn't fair. Despite the "tape" in this title though, this is classified as an album, so it's totally fair for me to judge all those things and more! And like past Uzi releases, this suffers from all the same flaws! Why is this thing 87 minutes? I realize 10 of those minutes are bonus tracks, but that seems a bit meaningless when the bonus tracks were released same day and same edition as the other 23 tracks, and even without them this is still a fucking movie length.

That being said, though, I wouldn't say I was ever bored while listening to this, and that's a plus. For better or for worse, the biggest flaws are when a track comes off as laughable, like the Chop Suey cover. Oh yeah, the samples and ripoffs of pop culture throughout the 2000s on this thing are INSANE. You got Gotye, you got Justice, you got emo 2000s music I'm not remembering the name of off top, this is a nostalgia platter for the ears with a Xanax-addicted dude spitting mid bars over it. And those aforementioned features, Bring Me The Horizon and BABYMETAL? If anything, the sheer creativity and unabashed lack of fear of being lame makes this a bit better to my ears.

But those 3 flaws I mentioned REALLY stick out still. This could've been cut down by like half and lost nothing. This is honestly an admirable work for me, but I can't recommend listening to the whole thing in one sitting, or even the whole thing in general. Tough decision on what I think of this, but at the very least, this was as fun as going to a white trash carnival, so whatever.

Best Track: the Chop Suey cover is both the best and worst track

robertsona 08-20-2023 04:13 AM

Geeeeeese

rayword45 08-23-2023 02:51 PM

Day 1030: 3D Country by Geese (Album Choice: robertsona)

Alright Rob, I'll give this one to you. Probably at least a few of the next batch of posts I slowly spew out my ass will be requests from other people, from fiffer or elsewhere. And while I'll try to give priority to 2023 stuff, I'll also try to mix it up with some stuff from other years as well.

When I first saw this request I was hesitant to try it, because I mixed this band up with Goose and I'm not much of one for jam bands. Thank god that I'm dumb because this is nothing close to a jam band, except for the genre-hopping and stylistic shifts that occur seemingly every track akin to a less goofy Ween. After a few listens, I can sorta break this up into three overarching song types, with variations within each category and overlap amongst the three.

The country-tinged cuts: This seems to be this band's bread and butter, at least on this album. However, for the most part it's my least favorite stuff on here. The songwriting on most of the countryish songs feels insincere in some way, kinda as if they don't REALLY like country and are just having a laugh. I doubt that was anywhere near the actual intent behind the songwriter's compositional process, but maybe it's that whole indie/slacker vibe that gives me pause. The slower ones are better than the faster ones for sure.

The stadium anthems: The most bombastic tracks on the album practically feel straight out of the 70s with their pomp and cheese. The same sort of indie detachment seems to permeate, but I mind it a lot less here, maybe because of my disdain for many classic rock elitists. This stuff is a lot of fun!

The weirdos: And then there are songs that are genuinely weird, noisy and sometimes psychedelic. This is where the album is the absolute best. It's not super esoteric, this is still pretty firmly in the "pop" category (by that I mean they use regular song structures, not that this sounds like assembly line radio pop or something) but it's the most earnest the band ever sounds AND it's the most unique and interesting stuff. I could take a whole album of their more punky styles and their weirdo freak-outs for sure.

On a somewhat related note, I've been seeing this band get compared to Black Midi a lot, but outside of both bands not seeming to take themselves overly seriously and a reliance on interlocking riffs, this reminds me a lot more of somewhere between Ween (as I mentioned before) and Modest Mouse. But comparisons are always a shitty shorthand way of describing a band's sound, and the more a band seems to be carving their own path, the less that shit will fit.

So, in summary, and I only said in summary to piss off any English teachers that some day come across this, cut out a majority of the most country-ish stuff and this would be golden. I did like this a lot more with each successive listen, so I look forward to whatever the band makes next.

Best Track: Mysterious Love

rayword45 08-25-2023 03:12 PM

Day 1031: In Times New Roman... by Queens Of The Stone Age

Another childhood favorite, I saw these guys live a couple weekends ago and I probably mentioned that in another review. Fuck Forest Hills Stadium. Those who bought their tickets not-resale were apparently told via email that they were not to bring any cameras with a detachable lens, and I sure wish I got that email.

There's extra relevance to that concert anecdote, because I stubbed my way down to a more expensive seat while I was there hoping for some classic Homme antics, but unfortunately no pants were dropped, no slurs were shouted at teenagers in the audience and no media people were drunkenly kicked in the face. It seems the man is fully on the wagon and on his best behavior now after a VERY contentious divorce, as any slip-ups will reflect negatively on him at custody hearings. Or something like that. It's probably fucked up that I'm disappointed I didn't get to see the man make an ass of himself, but I can't help it. At the core, if he's getting healthy and doing what's best for his children, I'm glad.

According to Homme in interviews, the divorce was not a big influence on the album, but I'm pretty sure that was deflection. A lot of the lyrics and tones on this album seem to be bitter, vengeful, heartbroken, all that classic breakup emotional shit. That, however, I don't want to dwell on, because that's not why I'm convinced that the divorce factored into the songwriting.

I'm convinced because this album is actually GOOD.

If that's fucked up to say, whatever. We all know or SHOULD know that some of the best art comes from dark places, and I don't think this band is an exception to that. Besides Like Clockwork, all the QOTSA albums after Songs For The Deaf, which is probably their magnum opus, have been mid as hell, and felt like everyone involved was phoning things in for a paycheck. This actually feels like passion AND care was put into the songs, the production and the sequencing. It's not the best the band made, but at this stage in their career, it's remarkably solid, and I can't ask for more.

Well, I can ask for a real Kyuss reunion tour. Give me that.

Best Track: Carnavoyeur
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 08-28-2023 07:25 PM

Day 1032: the new Travis Scott

The most surprising thing about this album is that I felt no moral quandary about listening to it, EXCEPT when I heard The Weeknd as now his voice makes me sick. Other than that, mid.

Best Track: crowd crush

rayword45 08-31-2023 10:22 AM

Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 1033: Struggler by Genesis Owusu

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4757449)
Day 824: Smiling With No Teeth by Genesis Owusu

Another case of "I have no idea but this is currently highly ranked for the RYM year chart", the first song and a couple of other cuts sound almost EXACTLY like Death Grips, but compared to them this album is far more eclectic.

Okay that's all I'm gonna write tbh I'm bored and my master's projects are stressing me the fuck out. This is a good album and I think it'll hold up with multiple listens if not get even better, although only time will tell. God why am I so basic?

Best Track: Drown

This sounds completely different from that last album, to the point where quoting it is kinda pointless because there are no worthwhile comparisons to be made. That being said, I think this is a little bit of a downgrade, but that's with the context of Smiling With No Teeth having grown on me quite a bit over the past couple of years. I'd probably bump that a point or so from what I initially gave it, so maybe this one is also a grower.

And I really do mean "a little bit" when I say that, because this is still a solid effort. It's bouncy, weird, joyous, jagged, insert adjective here - all the usual descriptors that I've probably used 1000 times in this thread alone. It isn't super consistent, and it sometimes feels like it lacks polish in a way that doesn't mesh with the dance-punk vibe, but nevertheless I'm quite fond of this one.

Best Track: Tied Up!
Rating: 6.66666666666666/10

rayword45 09-5-2023 08:34 PM

Day 1034: Sundial by Noname

The controversy, for once, drove me away from this album rather than the inverse. Then I decided, fuck it, it's short and I'm missing out on the culture by not at least giving it a try.

I don't believe in "separating the art from the artist" out of principle, because the story of the artist is part of the story of the art. To fully ignore how the two are intertwined is bad media consumption, and I will argue against it all day every day. What I DO stand by is the notion that enjoying art made by objectionable people doesn't mean you support whatever it is that makes them objectionable, otherwise that means hundreds of millions of rap listeners support murder and beating women, and any time someone claims that every single XXXTentacion fan is an abuse supporter I want to commit die. You should avoid financially supporting those you find to be morally abhorrent, but otherwise, enjoy art as you please.

But anyways, the worst thing Noname has done, as far as I can tell, is platform Jay Electronica and his anti-Semitic bars, and then respond to criticism in the absolute worst way possible. I'm not here to pass judgement on either artist in question, I'm here to enjoy the music, and I can safely say that whatever controversy there is doesn't really bleed into the vast majority of this album. This isn't a super fiery, passionate diatribe against the evils of Judaism, this is just another short jazz rap album. It's solid, but not really worth a five year wait.

Best Track: Stormfront

rayword45 09-6-2023 03:19 PM

Day 1035: Secret Life by Fred again.. & Brian Eno

Is the titular secret about how artificially manufactured all the hype for this guy is? And hopefully, you realize I'm not talking about the godfather of ambient here.

Best Track: Swedish House Mafia
Rating: 4/10

robertsona 09-17-2023 12:37 PM

Nice 7.5 we killed it

rayword45 09-18-2023 02:08 PM

Day 1036: Enola Gay by Asia Menor

It's dece.

Best Track: whatever

rayword45 09-20-2023 03:48 PM

Day 1037: When We Were That What Wept for the Sea by Colin Stetson

I decided to listen to this in honor of the 4-episode Uzumaki anime finally getting a release date after spending approximately 37 years in production. Those guys slaved really hard over those 90 minutes of animation. I also chose this as music to listen to while working.

This sounds exactly like the music from all the previews of that anime, exactly like the music in that one Ari Aster movie, and exactly like everything else I've heard from this dude. If you've heard his style before, you know what I'm saying. I've got no clue what his full albums outside of this sound like, as I've only heard a few songs and most were recordings of live performances, but this was pretty okay for me. I appreciate how unsettling it manages to be through minimalism and light touches of atonality, but it does get a bit tiring after 75 minutes of it. That, or I just felt tired of it because of the context I'm listening to it under. Either way, well made, but not something I'm gonna return to often.

Best Track: Choosing a best track from this album is really pointless and in fact probably actively goes against how the artist intended this to be consumed

rayword45 09-22-2023 12:38 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 1038: Knower Forever by KNOWER

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4663742)
Day 514: Time by Louie Cole (Album Choice: Jonlovesddr)

1. The ratio of soft, dreamier songs to more upbeat tracks is WAY too high
2. This album is too long

Cut out about half of the slower tracks and this might make my top 10. The good tracks are bouncy good fun.

Best Track: Weird Part Of The Night

Perhaps it's a bit weird to compare the dude's solo efforts to his main band, but hey, at least I'm not comparing to Clown Core, right? I only wanted to make that comparison to say that this album is basically completely devoid of those issues. It's a tight 45 minutes, and there's plenty of variety in tempo, mood and level of chaos here. And unlike Time where a lot of those slower songs bored me, every single track on this album is good. Every single one. Even the one-minute throwaway simply titled Bonus Track.

This really does feel like both artists listened to criticisms of their past albums, as miniscule as they were, and used that to inform a lot of the creative decisions here. The sequencing is on point, Genevieve Artadi's vocals are better than ever, there's a perfect balance of soft crooners, dancers and more abrasive cuts, I really can't think of any complaints. The closest thing to one that I have is that either the first word of the album title should've been capitalized or they should stop yelling their band name.

inb4 choof says something about gentrified jazz fusion

Best Track: It's All Nothing Until It's Everything
Rating: 9/10

aperson 09-22-2023 04:25 PM

Quote:

This isn't a super fiery, passionate diatribe against the evils of Judaism
Quote:

Best Track: Stormfront
ok this made me lol hard

rayword45 09-25-2023 01:32 PM

Day 1039: GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo

Clearing skies and drying eyes
Now I see your smile
Darkness goes and softness shows
A changing style

Just in time, words that rhyme
Will bless your soul
Now I'll fill your hands
With kisses and a Tootsie Roll

Oh, reality, it's not for me
And it makes me laugh
Oh, fantasy world and Disney girls
I'm coming back

Best Track: Bad Idea Right?

rayword45 09-26-2023 10:05 AM

Day 1040: HELLMODE by Jeff Rosenstock

I thought I had reviewed this guy before, but apparently I instead listened to his 2020 album, told myself I would review it, listened again, then decided to just throw down a score within my Nicolás Jaar review instead. I still remember my general feelings pretty clearly, though, which is that I understand this dude's appeal both for, to quoth myself, "MySpace-nostalgic 30 y/o boomer burnouts [and] le wrong generation kids who WISH they were MySpace-nostalgic 30 y/o boomer burnouts" but it's ultimately a little grating to my ears.

Tonally, this album is pretty much the same as NO DREAM. Songwriting-wise, things are a little sharper and more refined here. And as for myself, this STILL isn't the vibe for me! But it's not bad, and I don't find myself annoyed like I did back then. It's one of those things where I can appreciate the craftsmanship on display as well as feeling the pure racuous fun that the whole band seems to be having here, yet still not find myself really "feeling" the album. A commendable effort, and if you're a pop punk slut you may love this stuff. Me, I'm moving onto the next album.

Best Track: ligma

rayword45 09-28-2023 11:34 AM

Day 1041: Everything Is Alive by Slowdive

I saw these guys last night because I got extremely lucky and snagged a free ticket off reddit when the resale market was full of scammers and the legit sellers were asking absurd prices. I'm talking like well over $100 for a second-hand when the original price was $40, $57.73 after AXS fees. And seriously, the only time I've seen so many scammers out in full force have been for festivals or other pop EDM shows that attract dumbass ABGs and frat bros that buy all their tickets, airfare, lodging and bunk-ass MDMA using daddy's credit card. I guess there's equal opportunity for scamming between Asians that have fried their brains via weekly research chemical usage and technologically illiterate Gen Xers.

The show had visuals, which was actually really surprising, but they were extremely minimalistic to the point of "who gives a shit?" and the show was largely a standstill stage presence for a standstill audience. Both Slowdive and the opener Drab Majesty cranked the everliving fuck outta the fog machine, which really added to the impression that it was about the sound and not the sights. Speaking of the opener, the frontman had a fashion sense that was equal parts William Basinski and Milo Yiannopoulos, down to the bleached hair, sunglasses and tailored suit, but thankfully sounded like neither (no diss to Billy). Shit was extremely 80s, and that aforementioned fog was so thick that I literally thought it was a solo act until the very last song, when I noticed a second dude in the back who also had bleached hair, sunglasses and a tailored suit. For the record, this was indoors and it was dark as fuck.

But back to the band I'm reviewing, I'm glad that the show was a lot less loud than my recollection of seeing Ride in January, which I'm glad for, and I'm SUPER glad that the audience was largely populated by older millennials and Gen Xers because the past handful of shows prior to last night averaged so young that I felt my hairline receding. And in the case of The Breeders, that age breakdown was both surprising and resulted in a much more inappropriately rowdy and impolite crowd than I expected. I also felt old at Ashnikko a couple days after that, but that crowd was populated by people with basic manners.

Anyways, Slowdive's set was pretty well balanced between classics and new stuff, and VERY well-balanced between "softer" moments of sweet melodies and walls of noise. It was fairly amusing that the crowd largely only cheered for Souvlaki songs but I can't act haughty over that, because that's also the stuff I came for. That being said, their 2017-and-beyond songs definitely popped a lot more live than on record... Wait this isn't a concert review thread, fuck.

This album was okay, I'd put it on par or slightly below their 2017 effort. The handful of songs they played live, only 4 out of 8 for the record, are a lot less mesmerizing when relegated to a static recording, though the opener and closer at least get close. The other songs are also decent but not as magical as their 90s output. That's not really a fair benchmark to have, but it is what it is.

Okay that's enough about the actual album. Now I only have to somehow catch My Bloody Valentine and I've seen all of the big three shoegaze bands in concert!

Best Track: The Slab

rayword45 10-2-2023 02:40 PM

Day 1042: Isn​’​t It Now? by Animal Collective

I'm gonna piss off some friends of mine with this one.

Mid.

Best Track: no
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 10-4-2023 10:05 AM

Day 1043: Softscars by yeule (Album Choice: Anon E. Mouse)

Friend told me to listen to this in order to hype me up for her upcoming concert for which I do not yet have tickets. I'll probably go, but I'm banking on some of her terminally online stans giving away their tickets for free on Reddit like I've taken advantage of for other musicians with fanbases that consist largely of zoomer shut-ins with poor social skills and an allergy to sunlight.

This is a lot noisier and more abrasive than her album from last year, which I liked but didn't love. Outside of that, I'd say it's highly unlikely that this would change anyone's opinion of the artist if they're coming from a place of having listened to said prior albums. It's pretty solid, a few duds here and there and rough around the edges but I like it. Bonus points for the Aphex Twin reference in the closer title.

I want to write more but I'm busy. Now back to to the rat race.

Best Track: joe mama

rayword45 10-9-2023 01:31 PM

Day 1043: Javelin by Sufjan Stevens

there were actually several other albums i intended to review first that i have listened to but i just wanted to jot this one down so i can pre-emptively get it out of the way

yes aperson, i am mayo

Best Track: joe mama

rayword45 10-16-2023 11:08 AM

Day 1044: Softscars by yeule

Just haikus for now
Getting this over with fast
Dece but overhyped

Sad I missed her live
But PFT signed my book
So worthy trade-off

Best Track: Softscars

rayword45 10-16-2023 11:09 AM

Day 1045: The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We by Mitski

Also pretty good
But also overrated
I preferred the synths

Best Track: idk whatever the TikTok kids say, they're making her concerts cost a million dollars

rayword45 10-16-2023 11:11 AM

Day 1046: Again by Oneohtrix Point Never

Now THIS is awesome
Up there with his oldest best
Not a second bored

Best Track: Ubiquity Road

radioamor 10-17-2023 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4792476)
Day 1046: Again by Oneohtrix Point Never

Now THIS is awesome
Up there with his oldest best
Not a second bored

Best Track: Ubiquity Road

I've been a little conflicted on this one. I can observe the mastery on display within the album but it simultaneously feels like a feature-length jamming session. I will agree that it seems like Daniel is channeling his early 2010s self, which I vastly prefer over his recent efforts (I haven't been on board for much after R Plus Seven, although his score for Uncut Gems fucked me right up). Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll listen to it again (heh) until I brute force myself into thinking it's a masterwork.

rayword45 10-23-2023 02:09 PM

Day 1047: Voir Dire by Earl Sweatshirt & The Alchemist

Let's try something different.

I've listened to this album 3 times now, no word on whether or not I'll listen more times. Anyways, I'm not going to give any sort of opinion here. Instead, I want you to guess which song was my favorite and what rating I'd give this. Let's see how predictable I am!

Best Track: *************
Rating: X/10

rayword45 10-23-2023 02:17 PM

Day 1048: Echoes by Fire! Orchestra

On the other hand, I'll try to actually write some stuff for this one, although it's not gonna be very in-depth. I've already made it clear over the years that these guys (along with the non-orchestral trio Fire!, who I may like more but not sure really) scratch a certain itch for me that most jazz I listen to doesn't. Why? I dunno, maybe it's because I'm a hipster, or maybe it's because I dig their use of abrasive, noisy passages that eschew melody in favor of chaos.

This is by far their most ambitious album yet, clocking in at nearly two hours across two CDs and running nearly twice as long as their next longest album. In some ways, that works in their favor as the sprawl of it all really allows you to enmesh yourself in the atmosphere they're trying to paint. In other ways, it feels a bit overkill, and I found myself losing a bit of attention towards the end when it felt like it was getting a bit repetitious. The technical and compositional side of things remains as impressive as ever, although I found most of the vocal additions to be superfluous albeit not enough to detract from anything really, and I found myself enjoying the interludes as much as the long ambitious pieces.

I dunno, I liked listening to the album, I think it's very well done, but I can't see myself returning to it that often, certainly not as much as something like She Sleeps! She Sleeps!. I'm gonna give this a good rating because I feel like it matches what I felt on my first go-around, but maybe this will change down the line. That is, if I ever decide to dedicated a full two hours to this behemoth again.

Best Track: Echoes: Cala boca menino probably?

rayword45 10-23-2023 07:24 PM

Day 1049: Paths by G Jones

Pretty solid wonky stuff, and probably the perfect length because I feel like if this was any longer it'd get annoying but as it is it's all killer no filler. Also makes me excited at the prospect of seeing him live again.

Welp, onto the next one.

Best Track: Maybe

rayword45 10-24-2023 12:41 PM

Day 1050: EXCELSIOR by Slauson Malone 1

Freeform like last one
But somehow more pop-friendly
Not as good, but aight

Best Track: this really should just be listened to as one continuous piece, even if it was probably slapped together from fragments written and recorded at various different points

Lambdadelta 11-4-2023 07:54 PM

Lil Kevo 303 - The Taste of Food is My Reason for Living

rayword45 11-14-2023 02:44 PM

Day 1051: Void by KEN Mode

If anything is surprising to me, it's that this ISN'T my favorite sludge metal-noise rock hybrid album of the year, as that would still have to go to the facestomping awesomeness of Congratulations by EYES.

Whereas Congratulations was a much more straightforward attack and sort of down-to-basics approach to this kind of "atonal shreds and over-the-top screams" style of music, this album is more clearly the product of a band that's been around for long enough and has released enough music to perhaps not want to make something so forthright. The majority of the album is still pretty much what I've come to expect from this band, mind you, but you also have the long, droning post-metal experiments with These Wires and A Reluctance of Being, and the almost jazz-y detour of We're Small Enough. While my favorites are definitely the more traditional screams-and-riffs cuts, these add a much-welcome sense of variety to the mix.

Perhaps contradictorily, what I find myself a little bit disappointed with here compared to the last two albums from this band is how safe a lot of this feels to me. Null frequently felt like it was on the brink of collapsing onto itself with how frenzied and crazy the songs felt, and Loved felt much more aggressive to my ears despite the songwriting maybe being a little more approachable. This is still a very solid, enjoyable album, but it's missing that spark. Perhaps it's because this is actually basically the second half of Null as the two were purportedly written and recorded together during the pandemic, as that would potentially explain the more familiar feeling this has.

Don't mind how negative this review is, I still enjoyed this a lot and would recommend this album, but I'd also recommend the previous two KEN Mode albums first. Solid, not a misstep or anything, just an unfortunate victim of my high expectations.

Best Track: He Was a Good Man, He Was a Taxpayer

rayword45 11-20-2023 06:51 PM

Day 1051: Lahai by Sampha

Mid.

Best Track: This is a duplicate day bc my stupid ass reviewed that yeule album twice. At least the scores were nearly identical.

rayword45 11-20-2023 06:53 PM

Day 1052: Blanket by Kevin Abstract

Midder.

Best Track: Genuinely can't pick one, this album is just so nothing to my ears. It makes me wonder if 2017 was lightning in a bottle, if the group effort really made that much of a difference or if nostalgia for that summer paints my current-day relistens, because I still think SATURATION II/III mostly hold up.
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 11-20-2023 06:54 PM

Day 1053: Action Adventure by DJ Shadow

Middest.

Best Track: lmfao why did i even listen to this i KNEW it was gonna suck
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 11-20-2023 06:59 PM

Day 1054: Quaranta by Danny Brown

Slightly less mid.

This will get slightly more actual words written about it, because that's a strong case of damning with faint praise. This is a solid album, but "solid" is a pretty muted reaction to what has been one of the most hyped albums of the entire year. Did Warp hold this back in hopes that Danny would improve upon what they gave him? And on the flip side, did they not realize that holding this back would only increase expectations?

I was fully expecting to like this more than Scaring The Hoes, at least more than the non-Peggy parts, but for all that didn't work on that project, it felt entirely fresh and experimental whereas this almost feels like a case of "phoning it in". We've been waiting 4 years now for the next solo project, and this feels less inspired than uknowhatimsayin? which itself already felt too safe for my tastes.

Maybe repeat listens will reveal something more to me, but otherwise this is a decent 34 minutes of music and nothing more, which makes that 4 year gap all the more unrewarding.

Best Track: Jenn’s Terrific Vacation

rayword45 11-20-2023 08:28 PM

Day 1055: Se bueno by TURQUOISEDEATH

Man, I really wish I enjoyed this more than I have upon giving it a couple of listens.

It's certainly an ambitious work of art, one that experiments with a lot of different genres while maintaining a cohesive sound throughout. It's also clearly had a lot of polish put into it before release while still feeling freewheeling and loose. For a debut album this seems very self-assured, like it knows exactly what its going for and nailing it with confidence. It pays homage to its influences but doesn't sound like a ripoff of any of them, and despite clocking in at nearly an hour it doesn't overstay its welcome or ever really get boring.

So why don't I like this more? Really, I don't know. Perhaps it comes across as too "online" for my tastes? But so do tons of other favorites of mine such as Nanoray, as do the obvious influences that I've enjoyed more than this like Sewerslvt. Maybe it's that aforementioned polish causing the whole thing to feel "safe" to the point where it feels muted to me? Maybe, but I don't think this is any safer than a lot of other albums I've enjoyed more. I dunno, something just isn't clicking for me and I'm really disappointed that it isn't because I feel like I'm missing out as a result. Oh well.

Best Track: Sinking Into You

ToonE156 11-21-2023 12:14 PM

you should listen to that new Paramore album This Is Why

rayword45 11-27-2023 12:04 PM

Day 1056: Perfect Picture by Hannah Diamond

Add another one to the list of albums that I'd describe with some variation of "well-crafted, tight, doesn't overstay its welcome, no obvious filler, but I'm just not wowed by it even though I enjoy a good chunk of these songs." Hopefully most variations of that are less verbose.

I'm unsure if my unexplosive reaction to this means I'm too straight, not hipster enough, not /mu/-poisoned enough or some combination of the three. Still regret missing her concert a month and a half back because I forgot I had free entry due to being sleep-deprived at New York Comic Con when it was happening, as the hype makes me think I'm gonna have to pay next time. Oh well.

Best Track: (insert Charli XCX song title here as a joke)

rayword45 11-27-2023 02:09 PM

Day 1057: Madres by Sofia Kourtesis

Like the last album I reviewed, I wasn't immediately floored by this release. I enjoyed every track on it to at least some degree, but I wasn't in love with the album as a whole. Where this one differs is that repeat listens of Miss Diamond had no effect on my opinion whatsoever, whereas extra time spent on this collection of songs revealed something else to me.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that revelation might be or how to put it into words except "this is better than I initially gave it credit for". Really, I think I just have come to appreciate the fact that not a single song here feels superfluous, along with how well-done the sequencing is. Also, those vocal bits are truly ethereal, with some parts reminding me of the first time I ever listened to Kelly Lee Owens whose 2020 release remains my favorite of that year (and not just because I ate ass to it). Is this as good as Inner Song? No, but I wouldn't say it's comparable to that at all - instead I'd just say this is a strong, confident release that deserves more than just a passing glance.

Best Track: How Music Makes You Feel Better

rayword45 11-27-2023 04:39 PM

Day 1058: Everyone's Crushed by Water From Your Eyes (Album Choice: robertsona)

It only hit me a few weeks ago that I saw these guys exactly 362 days ago from today, when they were the second opener for the second time I saw Palm. RIP to that band, gonna miss them as they made two of my all-time favorite albums, one of which is my top 2022 release. That being said, considering how long it took them to write enough content for said 2022 release despite using a chunk of stuff, or at least two songs that they ended up using as singles, that was written and played live around the time of their most popular and most mid album (2018's Rock Island) perhaps it's for the best and we'll get to see some even better solo work from them down the line. Or perhaps they'll all fade into obscurity, who knows?

But this isn't me reviewing Palm! My predominant recollection of the Water For Your Eyes set in 2022 was that it was extremely abrasive and surprisingly heavy for a two-piece with no drummer or bassist. I thought they were cool but I was more into the way their soundscapes filled the room and made my skin vibrate than anything songwriting-wise, as the songs dragged on and on and on. I double-checked and they played 4 songs over a half-hour. That might work if you're a stoner metal outfit or ambient musician or something, but these guys are supposed to be hipster pop.

As a result, this really went against my expectations, as it's 9 songs and just barely over a half-hour total, with only two songs reaching past the 4-minute mark. And also, it definitely IS hipster pop with elements of noise, instead of what sounded like a noise/drone experiment with the slightest consideration to composition. Despite not being nearly as crushing as they were on stage, this actually manages to sound fuller due to the programming and mixing allowing for the minimal drum programming and low-end to come through past anything noisy here.

So I clearly enjoy this band more recorded than live, but what do I think overall? Well, I like it. A pretty good amount at that. The first few tracks are easily my least favorite and initially left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as it gave me the impression that this project was drenched in irony, but that was a misreading and those songs were earnestly lame. Starting around track 4 this thing picks up a LOT and for such a short release they manage to cover a lot of ground - walls of feedback are all over this thing, but some songs are straight indie pop, some are more rhythmic and dance-y (though I would hate to see the crowd at one of their shows try to dance), and hell the last song sounds like fucking Man Or Astro-man? or something. And as a bonus, the longest track here, which is the penultimate cut so I assume intended to be the emotional climax/closer, is fucking gorgeous.

Now if only those first 3 songs were better.

Best Track: 14

rayword45 11-28-2023 11:38 AM

Day 1059: It's the End of the World, But It's a Beautiful Day by Thirty Seconds to Mars

At first I wanted to review the absolute worst album of the year according to the RateYourMusic bottom charts, but the #1 spot was taken by Tom McDolan and I do not currently have the desire to listen to a racist. Then #2 was Sixixnineine and I do not currently have the desire to listen to a pedophile. Then I just didn't feel like listening to whatever 3 and 4 were and #5 was Lil Pump 2 which I already determined was fairly bad but not totally irredeemable. Nothing with Pump Rock x Heavy Metal could ever be a flat 0-1/10 that song is just too good.

Regardless, I have way too many memories of this band and their fans from my younger years, and absolutely none of these memories are positive in any way whatsoever. Also, my excuse for not listening to Pedophile Ronald McDonald is no longer valid considering that I forgot that this was Jared Leto's project... Hey, with all the 4+ word band names from this era, a mix-up is unsurprising.

Anyways, for the most part, I don't think this is THAT much worse than their peak popularity stuff, but it's still pretty fucking bad lol. For the most part it's incredibly bland electropop, but there's something about the way it's performed and/or produced that makes it quickly grow irritating. There's like 2 or 3 tracks that I'd go as nice as saying "that was nothing more than a mid pop song" but the majority of this just pisses me off, even though it shouldn't merit such a strong reaction since it's also so damn uninteresting.

Maybe my disdain for this is a subconcious reaction to the fact that I'm fucking listening to Jared Leto.

I don't really want to write any more.

Best Track: the closer was... almost okay
Rating: 2/10

rayword45 11-28-2023 06:54 PM

Day 1060: Census Designated by Jane Remover

I wanted to like this, and maybe I would've if these songs weren't all way longer than they needed to be... But honestly probably not, for every element of this album that I enjoy or at least think is cool and/or creative, there's another thing that's just irritating. If you condensed these songs all down to half length then you'd just be barraged with annoyances twice as fast, and if you cut out said annoyances entirely you'd basically just have a completely different genre of music. Credit where credit is due, this is at the very least a very realized and very individual expression of one's artistic desires.

Gonna stop here because the more I write the more likely I am to be murdered by some terminally online late zoomer with 2000s envy.

Best Track: Lips
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 11-28-2023 08:36 PM

Day 1061: The Greater Wings by Julie Byrne

It's pretty, but it's pretty dull.

Best Track: is she related to David?
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 11-29-2023 06:58 AM

Day 1062: Objects Without Pain by Great Falls

And here we have another album where I can clearly tell that it is absolutely a triumph for the artist in terms of nailing the exact sound they wanted to make, while also not "clicking" with whatever they're going for from a personal, subjective standpoint at all. There's so many elements in here that should be exactly what I love - aggressive noise rock that doesn't let its (very obvious) artsy side overtake the whole "rock" part of it (or the noise part), sludgy guitars that fill your whole skull up with their tone, structural experimentation that comes off as refreshing and innovative while remaining unpretentious to the core, et cetera et cetera.

This really is just a weird one to score, and as a result I feel as if it's almost folly to say much more. This album isn't for me, but it's definitely well-done enough that I'm positive that someone who is a bit more in love with this band's specific style/genre mishmash/tone/atmosphere/whatever would be able to praise this much more

Best Track: poop on my butt

rayword45 11-29-2023 03:40 PM

Day 1063: Microworlds by CloZee

This is a very solid collection of songs that is decent enough listened to while working on headphones but is very obviously going to be much more enjoyable heard blasting from a dark stage. I feel as if CloZee could make something more home-listener oriented if she wanted to, but I mean, this is still pretty good? And since the money is in touring I assume that's her focus, so I'm just glad this seems at least modestly coherent as a singular work.

Best Track: Antares
Rating: 7/10, but her closing performance at EZoo 2022 was an easy 9.5/10, and shame on all the basic Asian bros and basic Asian bitches who went and saw Midtin Garrix play the exact same setlist he had been using for at least a year prior. When I saw him perform an identical or nearly-identical set in May 2022 it was like a 5/10. I laugh even harder at the Asians who saw that Garrix set, then bought tickets for his official EZoo afterparty in Brooklyn for over $100, including a handful who had already paid $60-80 for other afterparties. Keep in mind that's BEFORE Ubers are factored in - which, going from uptown Manhattan down to Brooklyn, would cost like $80-90+ due to surges after EZoo gets out. When a group of like 30 Asians told me about their plan and tried to get me to join in, I told them how bro played the same set at EZoo as he did in DC that May, and told them that a quick Google search indicated that his Brooklyn show was going to be the same set they had just watched less than 2 hours prior. They all said that I was wrong, and riddle me this: what, WHAT, did they bitch about the next day? Well actually, they bitched about a multitude of annoyances that were the fault of Brooklyn Mirage, a place that I always shit on for their various sketchy, unethical and/or mafia-esque practices, but what was the only complaint they had that was Garrix's fault?! I'm sorry if I've already told you this story, but right now I'm just writing this because it's mad funny that the rating section is the longest part.

rayword45 12-2-2023 04:14 PM

Day 1064: Space Heavy by King Krule

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToonE156 (Post 4792809)
you should listen to that new Paramore album This Is Why

For the record, I listened to this when it was still relatively new, didn't write anything, listened to it again a few days ago, and still didn't write anything and now don't have the motivation to. Upon first listen I gave it like a 5 but I think that was too harsh and bumped that to a 6.5/10.

This on the other hand, I listened to when it was still relatively new, didn't write anything, listened to it again a few days ago, still didn't write anything and didn't have the motivation to, and just gave it a THIRD listen and still didn't feel like writing anything. But after three listens, I'm counting this as an entry because fuck everyone else this is my thread I make the rules.

Best Track: the 2020 album was better

rayword45 12-3-2023 12:02 AM

Day 1065: SAVED! by Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter

This is a well-crafted, deeply emotional piece of art that deserves all the praise it's been getting, although it definitely is a step down from the more obviously personal and harrowing Sinner Get Ready. However, there are times when the tape effects get a bit too over-the-top for their own good and man, I just can't imagine listening to this more than a few times a year. I respect this more than I enjoy it.

Best Track: I Will Be With You Always

rayword45 12-4-2023 10:55 PM

Day 1066: Ley by Approaching Mountains

This was great for curing my headache at work today. And good on the train. So it's good.

Best Track: yes

rayword45 12-5-2023 06:47 PM

Day 1067: I Killed Your Dog by L'Rain

This is lush, gorgeous, tight, consistent, frequently engaging, never boring, just damn near fantastic. Don't have much else to say except that I can't pick a single favorite track. But this is really top-notch shit.

Best Track: Just listen to the whole damn thing

rayword45 12-10-2023 03:00 PM

Day 1068: new Carbon n Based Life forms

You know, I was thinking about how one of the next times I do a review, before the end of the year, I want to include scores for the 2023 albums I've heard that I didn't even bother to write anything for when I listened to them.

Given the sad state of these reviews now, what's the fuckin difference?

Best Track: sug

rayword45 01-2-2024 11:46 AM

Day 1069: No Scavenging by Artifact Memory

Starting off 2024 with a 2024 album review! At least, that's what I wanted to do, but I can't write anything about this thing other than the fact that it is indeed is a "sound collage" album and the fact that it did nothing for me, except occasionally make me wonder if this was an attempt to be a meme.

That being said, here comes my ratings of 2023 albums for which I didn't bother to write even this much for. Most of these I listened to multiple times, but not all of them. A lot of these I listened to forever ago, forgot what they sounded like, and relistened again within the past couple of months. Others I wrote down a score a while ago and haven't heard since before this fall. Whatever. I also completely randomized this order so nobody would be able to guess the order I listened to these in.

Maps by Billy Woods & Kenny Segal: 8/10
s*x m*ney dr*gs by Lucki: 4.5/10
A Great Chaos by Ken Carson: 4/10 (smd constellious)
Mansion Musik by Trippie Redd: 2/10
Saint Michael by Trippie Redd: 2.5/10
Even God Has a Sense of Humor by Maxo: 5/10
Coast 2 Coast by Pearl & The Oysters: 6/10
Bridge Underwater by Club Casualties: 5.5/10
Rhizomes by Aho Ssan: 8/10
Godcaster by Godcaster: 8/10 (LIVE THEY'RE AN 11/10 GO SEE THEM LIVE MOTHERFUCKER)
RAT WARS by HEALTH: 5.5/10
Post-American by MSPAINT: 6.5/10 (But I must say, this could easily be an 8-9/10 if you cut it down to an EP about 50-60% as long. Also, unlike the oft-compared Machine Girl this dude is better live, WAY better)
Gumbo by Young Nudy: 4/10
WEEDKILLER by Ashnikko: 3.5/10
Today I Laid Down by bl4ck m4rket c4rt: 7/10 (How does this qualify as an album and not an EP? It's just over 20 minutes and only 6 songs)
F65 by IDK: 5.5/10
Heaven Knows by PinkPantheress: 8.5/10
Hood Hottest Princess by Sexyy Red: 3/10 (fuck u melon)
COI by Coi Leray: 3.5/10
Cracker Island by Gorillaz: 4/10
Welcome 2 Collegrove by 2 Chainz & Lil Wayne: 4/10
A Gift & a Curse by Gunna: 3/10 (a friend of mine told me to listen to this one and I find that his recs are 50/50 for me in terms of my enjoyment, this one falls squarely into the "no" camp)
Farm Fatale by horsegiirL: 6.5/10
5AV0RY by C3NTELL4: 7/10
Girls Love Jungle by dazegxd & gum.mp3: 6/10
Nekkuja by Marina Herlop: 7.5/10 (this one will either be a noticeable grower or a "I forgot this existed" by 2025)
Dethalbum IV by Dethklok: 5.5/10
i've seen a way by Mandy, Indiana: 6.5/10
We Cater To Cowards by Oozing Wound: 7.5/10
Last by Loma Prieta: 5/10
Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd by Lana Del Rey: 4/10 (fuck u twice melon)
That! Feels Good! by Jessie Ware: 6/10
If Looks Could Kill by Destroy Lonely: 3/10
To What End by Oddisee: 5/10
Wallsocket by underscores: 4.5/10
The People's Champ by Quinn XCII: 2.5/10
Till I'm Dead by RXKNephew: 5.5/10
Fanfare by Dorian Electra: 6/10
The Harmony Codex by Steven Wilson: 6.5/10
The Aux by Blockhead: 7/10
Zig by Poppy: 4/10
Speed Run by Frost Children: 6/10
Bunny by Beach Fossils: 5/10
My Soft Machine by Arlo Parks: 7/10
4D by Blank Banshee: 7.5/10
Pink Friday 2 by Nicki Minaj: 2.5/10
Feed the Beast by Kim Petras: 1.5/10
lord of the shithouse by Draag Me: 7/10
Raven by Kelela: 5/10
The Rime of Memory by Panopticon: 7/10
Food for Worms by Shame: 5.5/10
PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, ligma by King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard Bobizzard Fee Fi Fizzard Tizzard Sizzurp sugma: 4.5/10
Exul by Ne Obliviscaris: 6/10
I Hope You Can Forgive Me by Madison McFerrin: 7/10 (fantastic live performance, though not as drastic an improvement as Godcaster)
Failed at Math(s) by Panchiko: 5.5/10
SPELLLING & the Mystery School by SPELLLING: 5/10
The Age of Pleasure by Janelle Monáe: 5/10
Scarlet by Doja Cat: 2.5/10
ILLENIUM by Illenium: 2.5/10
Data by Tainy: 6/10
We Buy Diabetic Test Strips by Armand Hammer: 7/10
Aftërlyfe by Yeat: 2/10
How To See Through Walls by Windows96: 7.5/10
Bless This Mess by U.S. Girls: 5/10
New Blue Sun by André 3000: 6/10
But Here We Are by Foo Fighters: 6/10
The Ballad of Darren by Blur: 5/10
One Wayne G by Mac DeMarco: 3/10
Five Easy Hot Dogs by Mac DeMarco: 2/10
forest spirit, sun on your back by forest spirit, sun on your back: 7/10 (less consistent than most 7s, if they polish and refine their next drop it might be a huge winner)
Fantasy by M83: 4/10
Powders by Eartheater: 5/10
Cousin by Wilco: 5/10
Destiny by DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ: 6.5/10
Living Without by Endless, Nameless: 7/10
Super Key Generator by Kobaryo: 8/10
I Was Mature for My Age, But I Was Still a Child by Grouptherapy: 8/10
Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent by Lewis Capaldi: 2.5/10
Austin by Post Malone: 2.5/10
Rush! by Måneskin: 2/10
Something to Give Each Other by Troye Sivan: 2/10
So Much (For) Stardust by Fall Out Boy: 1.5/10
PORTALS by Melanie Martinez: 1/10
Jackman. by Jack Harlow: 0.5/10
Leyenda viva by 6ix9ine: -49.5/10
For All the Dogs by Drake: -50/10

Bolding all this shit took longer than the whole rest of this review.

Best Track: Bin Chickens made me giggle once

robertsona 01-26-2024 05:03 PM

yeah, godcaster kick ass live.

rayword45 02-6-2024 11:36 AM

Day 1070: Wall of Eyes by not-Radiohead

I remember back in November 2022 these guys played one of the few venues in NYC that I have yet to go to, same one where friends of mine saw Dethklok and BABYMETAL, and I wanted to go but all the tickets on resale were over $100 which I refused to pay so I saw The Band Formerly Known As Viet Cong instead for like $20. Then in July they played a bigger venue and sales were so bad that they gave away like hundreds of tickets for free, so I snagged a pair, then realized I couldn't make it as I already had obligations to take my buddy to a punk show then to see CFCF and Cut Copy play DJ sets right after, so I ended up re-giving those away. So I've still never seen these guys play. Or Radiohead for that matter. Oh well.

Anyways, this is easily my favorite project from ol' droopy eyes and the one other Radiohead member involved since In Rainbows. Reception seems to be pretty split on whether this is an improvement or a downgrade from their 2022 debut but I think the two albums are too different to really compare. But dang, the emotional content here hit me hard, a feeling that is only aided by how theatrical and crescendo-heavy every single song here is. Great start to major/mainstream releases for the year.

Best Track: balls

rayword45 02-27-2024 12:24 PM

Day 1071: Girl With No Face by Allie X

At this point, I basically only post here when there's an album I hope to get second opinions on from one of the 3 people that still read this. This has overtaken not-Radiohead for the current #1 album of the year on RYM but I know for a fact that it's not gonna last long on the throne. This is 100% not the type of music that internet nerds will admit to enjoying more than sadboi indie like Wall of Eyes, but it's something I personally enjoy more in this particular case. Lots of fun, no bad tracks, and the perfect length at just shy of 45 minutes. I don't have any complaints!

Eventually I'll dump my ratings for albums I've listened to since January that I can't be assed to write at least 2 sentences for, even though nobody cares.

Best Track: Off With Her Tits (there's several other competitors but I'm picking this one solely so I can write that phrase here)

rayword45 03-13-2024 01:25 PM

Day 1072: Where we've been, Where we go from here by Friko

is this Animal Collective

Best Track: Transphobic Techno (Bitch Got A Penis)