Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Tournaments (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   [Concluded] New Tournament Format - Blitz Tourney (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150650)

devonin 02-3-2019 07:06 PM

Re: New Tournament Format - Blitz Tourney

I believe I have all the credit prizes out. If I missed you, let me know so I can go back through the log.

rushyrulz 02-3-2019 07:13 PM

top 3 in each div PM me your token selections

-The Wises Were Wrong
-FREEDOM DiVE

-Dendrite v2
-Coactive [Over My Shoulder Mix]
-Tell v3 (Extended Mix)
-Touhou Judgment in the Sixtieth Year
-The Bridgeport Run
-Bedtime Story

bolded means 1st place only.

icontrolyourworld 02-3-2019 07:25 PM

thank you devonin, this was a very fun tourney to play in, and the first one i think i've played in since like 2012!!

This is definitely one of my top 3 fav tournies, others being the solo tourney, and dossar's tournies back in the day. I really like this format, being able to play any song anytime, and without the time commitment of coming back every week for 6 weeks straight, and without the motivation killer of falling behind on just 1 song, here we have options :)

gold stinger 02-3-2019 09:45 PM

thank you for the beautiful tournament. Surprising scores from everyone involved. Thanks for keeping me on my toes guys

LeftyRighty 02-3-2019 10:11 PM

thank you for hosting this tournament devonin, it was a good time!!

the songs were really challenging but if i had more time to spare i probably coulda worked on em a lot more; everyone had really good scores!! i really need to derust and these tourneys are really good for that haha

storn42 02-4-2019 01:28 AM

This was a fun tournament. I think my favorite things about it was the difficulty and the choices we had. Of all the tournament styles i feel that the standard cumulative score is the worst. My biggest gripes with it are how much worth are in the early rounds. If you dont feel like grinding out an easy song or you just plain old dont like the song and the easyness of it makes it easy to lose focus and you pay for it in later rounds. personally in D4 my highest AAA is a 38. im obviously biased against AAA everything mentality and i am horrible at being a perfectionist. Elimination tournys tend to fix this problem since you only need to play better than a portion of players each round, but since only certain people get to continue playing for the whole tournament they aren't always great for community tournaments. This tournament was great. All of the songs were of a difficulty which i felt was good enough where it wasn't AAA or die, while still being easy enough to where i never felt like a song was too hard to play. With 6 songs with cumulative scoring, i also never felt like i was being punished for being bad at one type of file or a specific file, like might happen in an elimination tourny. I was able to cover for my weaknesses by getting better scores in the files i was better at. Only thing i could really hope for is a slightly more active playerbase since i was able to get first and just kind of sat there for a good while with nobody really challenging me until the end. but i dont think you can really do anything about that. overally i'd like to see more tournaments like this in the future (or just more tournaments. that would also be cool)

devonin 02-4-2019 11:08 AM

Aww thanks folks :)

Tons of credit goes to Velocity for coding up the Blitz format in the first place. Without him this would have been a -massive- headache of posting and manually updating 20 scores per song per player as people got better by 1 good at a time. I was really happy to see a number of players have some substantial level improvement by being pushed to try for strong scores on hard songs, and I'm hoping we can keep that motivation going.

I've already thought of a few changes to the format for future attempts, and maybe some more general FFR systems we can implement to offset some of the common tournament problems. But you definitely haven't seen the last of this format.

floatiestring 02-4-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happeh (Post 4666310)
cant believe i got sniped from 3rd at the last minute but it's nothing to be bitter about since i DID improve from this! congrats to everyone and thanks for the tournament!!

haha sorry about that i was hoping you wouldn't wake up while i slept and bump me down in return

lovely tournament, i'm really bad at aaa'ing things and coping with deadlines so this tourney really suits me well :D hope i can see this format again

Ksl33zy24 02-6-2019 09:24 PM

Thanks for the tourney.