Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 12-25-2017 08:11 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2017 albums halp

Day 428: Vicious by Skepta (Album Choice: Jeremy C.)

Okay, so if nobody gives a fuck about lyrics, I should give this a very high rating. But people make so many jokes about British rappers, maybe that's clouding my view... Nah who am I kidding I don't give a fuck about that, although I will be fair and say some of the slang is really odd to me. Regardless, the rapping in this album felt mostly inconsequential, occasionally veering into the actually bad, but these beats (besides the aptly-titled Worst) are pretty fucking great. I do hate how the features (including motherfucking Lil B) feel mostly wasted.

Eh, I enjoyed this more than I disliked it, and those beats really do rock.

Best Track: No Security
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 12-25-2017 09:35 PM

Day 429: A Love Letter To You by Trippie Redd (Album Choice: David H.)

This guy looks a lot like a dude I knew in high school, except this guy has dreads and a career. But y'know, I hate to be biased, but sometimes you can just read the description Google Play Music gives you and look at the cover and y'know...

At least I'm trying, right? Oh god, this shit is... David what the fuck happened to the Depeche Mode ripoffs what is this pathetic I-wannabe-a-whiteboi shit? This emo trap movement is fucking terrible and I don't know why it's a thing. This is actually far, far less offensive than most of the other shit I've heard in the same genre, probably because it's nowhere near as overt in terms of the emo side, but it still hits all the same notes of suck. This guy's vocal delivery is bootleg straining Uzi-style singing pretty much all the way through, and it's a good thing he uses copious amounts of autotune because you can almost hear the garbage frothing underneath. Why the hell am I doing this to myself on Christmas?

I exaggerated the amount of emo prevalent in this album, as well as how bad it is although most of my gripes still stand to some degree. It really just sounds like bootleg Uzi, seriously. This one is 36 minutes and feels no longer than 45. I guess that makes it better than Lil Pump. Not returning to it though.

Best Track: Blade Of Woe
Rating: 4.5/10

MyNameIsNothing 12-25-2017 11:20 PM

these were my top 20 of the year in order, you've already reviewed a few of them but wotever, you should definitely check out the blanck mass album tho
Sorority Noise - You’re Not as ____ as You Think
Blanck Mass - World Eater
Brockhampton - Saturation II
Everything Everything - A Fever Dream
Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet
Tyler the Creator - Flower Boy
Kesha - Rainbow
Remo Drive - Greatest Hits
Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives
Sampha - Process
Alvvays - Antisocialites
Lorde - Melodrama
Young Jesus - S/T
Florist - If Blue Could Be Happiness
SZA - Ctrl
The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
Kendrick Lamar - Damn
Destroyer - Ken
Passion Pit - Tremendous Sea of Love
Iglooghost - Neo Wax Bloom

rayword45 12-26-2017 01:24 PM

Day 430: CTRL by SZA (Album Choice: MyNameIsNothing)

Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to... I'm not funny.

The opening 4-song stretch on this album is fucking fantastic. The only gripe I have at all is that the lyrics to Doves In The Wind aren't to my taste, and I'm not entirely wowed by the Kendrick verse which is a great disappointment. Meanwhile, the other 3 are without flaws. Prom is the first real mistake, with a comparatively boring, overly sugary beat held against its lush predecessors.

A little bit later and based on how this is going, I'm not sure if I can judge this one as more than the sum of its parts. I know it doesn't seem like I do that often, but I really do try to judge things on the experience of listening to it all. However, I worry I'm being too nitpicky with the bad tracks, yet they nonetheless come off as noticeably lower in enjoyability (is that a word?). And they're totally scattered it seems. Right after the last song I was talking about (can you guys tell just how much I hate bolding things?) is The Weekend which is a thing of wonder in its spare beauty even if the title makes me cry into my vomit almost as much as it would've if it was entitled Gambino. Then right after that, Go Gina just seems... unnecessary. Not bad, just unnecessary. And a little annoying.

Y'know, after that I'm just gonna list the songs I DID like. Garden (Say It Like Dat), Broken Clocks, Wavy (Interlude), Pretty Little Birds, 20 Something. That last one is a contender for best song on the album.

Well, the good was very good, and the bad varied between boring and annoying. I'm gonna use rough private numbers to make it look like I'm not using an average... wait I'm stupid. This'll probably be a grower.

Best Track: Drew Barrymore or 20 Something
Rating: 7/10 (not bad for a shitty algorithm!)

rayword45 12-27-2017 01:23 PM

Day 431: Black Origami by Jlin

The origami elephant was a fitting artwork choice, as this is easily one of the most tribal-sounding IDM releases I've ever heard. What the fuck is jungle anyways?

Wait, Holy Child was co-composed by fucking William Basinski? Hot damn I would never have guess. That was pretty easily the most melodic track I've heard thus far. This whole thing is mostly fast drum loops and warped vocal samples. Compared to most other (mostly-)amelodic IDM I've heard, this one doesn't seem to wanna impress you by showing how they can make the drums go fast. Instead, there's an intense pressure on you to feel those slight changes, which works really well for tracks like Carbon 7 (161) and 1% (goddamn that's a fucking banger). Never Created, Never Destroyed is another highlight, but it's a bit of an outlier. Yet it's so samey. This album is basically half-boring, half-bangers. Yet it's all so samey, what a conundrum. Well, consistency and flow are important to an album, aren't they? I judge thusly.

Also I forgot to mention just how weird those first few seconds are. They're weird as fuck. I don't like them.

Best Track: 1%
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 12-28-2017 04:35 PM

Day 432: Whatever Works by Oliver Houston (Album Choice: PixlSM)

When he says "mostly the same" in Bernie it resonates hard.

Best Track: Tom Quad
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-29-2017 10:12 AM

Day 433: A Thousand Skies by Clap! Clap! (Album Choice: MyNameIsNothing)

Went into this one blindly and fucking glad I did. This one is loaded to the brim with bangers, although I wish they were a little longer. What's that? Me wanting something to be longer? That's a good sign.

There are a few missteps, like the bizarrely agitating Witch Interlude or the goofy ender Ascension Psalm but most of this is fun, freeflowing, energetic dance music with a similar vibe to that Jlin album I reviewed, but more subtle in its global influences and much more melodic. Admittedly they're apples and oranges, but I do think I prefer this one in most situations. Plus it's more consistent for me.

I'm out of words.

Best Track: Ar-Raqis
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 01-17-2018 08:17 PM

Day 434: Insen by Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

I listened to this album like 6 times before starting this and I'm still struggling for words because... something. Not a bad or unfitting choice to loop while walking around the snowy city at least, very soothing sounds, warm yet icy cold. Terse titles don't always accurately represent the frigid sounds within, but who am I to judge?

I got lazy and felt like turning this into a Christgau-style review because I could.

Best Track: Logic Moon
Rating: 7/10

g.o.ry 01-17-2018 09:37 PM

https://youtu.be/oSUb5MIcp2I
https://youtu.be/IgfjRnuhT-Q
https://youtu.be/Fuf1zrpjQxk
https://youtu.be/rEYa8tWkPFM
https://youtu.be/0XYXexLWOKc
https://youtu.be/ctbqe9MKMww
https://youtu.be/usJHvVAki7w
https://youtu.be/vuxRVJP5Pfw
https://youtu.be/8VCCkymXplE
I don't think any of these are from 2017 but still...
Do you have a last.fm account?

rayword45 01-17-2018 10:14 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

thanks for reminding me to change the title and no but i have an rym

Travis_Flesher 01-17-2018 11:06 PM

Rayword45 is absolutely beyond all umbrance of doubt the most critical author to have graced this hideous planet.
I've read Michener, Asimov, Jordan, Lumley, Ludlum, Poe, Rice, Rowling, King, Lovecraft, Steinbeck, Shakespeare, Kipling, Twain, Carroll, Baum, Tolkien, the Bible +many more 'classics' but damn it, and I despise profanity, I'm 8 pages in to this 63 page thread after 2 hours and I'm speechless. It's boosting my reading levels to great heights. The music review genre is not really my party, and ray's cynical ambivalence, uncanny beyond-his-years knowledge, and unfortunately victimized ahead-of-his-time life is like opening up a can of tinnitus, but I shall read this entire thesis.

I am absolutely certain that rayword is, simply put, a lit match in a maze of dynamite critics and has finally changed the rules of the ancient ballgame. What's your next move?

Ray check your credit log I sent you a little something, it's not much but hey.

rayword45 01-17-2018 11:10 PM

Continue putting little-to-no effort in these reviews while being a drunk sadsack.

Your post is makin me wonder how many times you have sweared on this site

EDIT: The rowling inclusion is really funny to me for some reaon

rayword45 01-17-2018 11:13 PM

Also the victimized ahead of my time thing makes me cringe i was an overly emotional tenth grader and now im just an emotionally numb college sophomore who would kick that dudes ass

g.o.ry 01-18-2018 01:18 AM

If you haven't heard 'a soundtrack to death' by mura masa and also 'someday somewhere' by the same artist
I searched the thread and nobody mentioned either of those

Travis_Flesher 01-18-2018 09:47 AM

Ray this blog is solid gold.
I may be wrong but I assume you're a hidden gem author.
A lot of naysayers will hate on the defamation but I think this has enough snowball to avalanche the other guys.
You need a Jerry Maguire bro.. Have you considered publishing?

rayword45 01-23-2018 01:04 PM

Day 435: Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse (Album Choice: vaguelyhumanoid)

I'm so lazy as to not wanna listen to the majority of the canon, but here we go. I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.

That first song made my expectations way too high. I came into this expecting a bunch of sadsack shit, but then got greeted with a wonderful, pop-punky lo-fi treat... and then it went right into a bunch of sadsack shit. I don't mean that disparagingly, I just wanted way more like the first song, and it really doesn't even get close, a little bit of fuzz doesn't match that energy and maybe like 3 or 4 of these songs even have that fuzz, the rest is acoustic and orchestrated like an indie band would. Many of these songs are pretty, for sure (here comes the obligatory list: the slow folk-popper Sunshine, muffled chamber dirge Come On In, orchestrated lullaby Hundreds of Sparrows, and beautifully spare closer Junebug are some of only a few highlight) but I expected more variance.

Damn, this is like that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously. Wait, I didn't make that clear in my review of that album? Well, now I am, and guess which one it is, because it's obvious. Anyways, back to this, yeah, I needed more aggressive fuzz because actually, revisiting, these other fuzzy songs kinda suck... Especially Sick Of Goodbyes which is throwaway pop to me. Happy Man is aight I suppose. And the little interludes also do nothing for me. That leaves the mopey songs I was ragging on earlier, but honestly, the good ones make for a pretty decent album. Reviewing canon shit usually sucks out the ass, this time it sucked a LITTLE bit less I think.

I like to harp on one thing over and over again.

Best Track: Pig

PixlSM 01-24-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4606423)
I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.

I mean it is the best song on Endtroducing... although I imagine "Insight! Foresight! Moresight! The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight..." would get old after 50 listens lmao

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4606423)
that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously

I hope you aren't referring to Halica Bliss Out or Velocity : Design : Comfort

rayword45 02-19-2018 06:38 PM

Day 436: Tryshasla by Secede (Album Choice: korny)

Somehow I came into this expecting a trip-hop album... I really don't know why. I've listened to this album like 5 times now and it's still really hard to put into words. It has boring parts (the intro is far too long, some of these long songs could poise to have their ends chopped off) but it also has some pretty parts (Leraine, Friday Fall, We No Longer Need Ourselves. the first half of The Realms Of Sanda). Yeah, nothing else to say except it also was pretty damn dope intoxicated.

Best Track: Leraine

PixlSM 02-20-2018 02:02 PM

when are you doing lda

rayword45 02-20-2018 09:53 PM

I'll try to get to it soon

Day 437: Need To Feel Your Love by Sheer Mag (Album Choice: marsbars)

I tried to listen to the 2017 release from MACHINE GIRL that I'm too lazy to spell the title out to, but a few tracks after a banging first track and I just got half-bored, half-annoyed, all-I-don't-want-to-finish-this. So let's try this instead. I'm still checking out 2017 albums? No, not really but eh, whatever.

...Who the fuck is this guy... lady... okay yeah I checked it's a woman. Anyways, who the fuck is this lady tryna sound like? Joan Jett? Ozzy? Because it's not nearly as listenable as either, and the riffs here don't make up for the fact so far. This just sounds like a mix between bland indie pop and shitty twangy truckdrivin music from too many decades ago. Every time something seems like it has potential, I'm immediately disappointed. Oh, what's this pretty jangling progression entitled? Expect The Bayonet oh okay highli- ah wait nevermind, this is just more generic cowpower pop. Cow pop. Cower pop. Power cow.

Holy fuck, why did they make this thing 43 minutes? It's not like there's significant variation or anything of the sort to be found here. Okay, I'm one-quarter of the way through. I already bitched out of one album, let's not make it two... Oh but this one is so much worse so far. Oh well, I ain't gonna be a little bitch again.

I can just sense that these guys are trying to go for mild variation like, well, most every other band, but it's hard to tell. Is Until You Find The One supposed to be a soft song? Why the hell is she screaming then? I'm starting to contemplate whether or not this is meant to be enjoyed "ironically" (like, it sounds so fucking outdated) but I can still enjoy other "ironic" genres like vaporwave.

The guitar tones remind me of Radio City, but the songwriting is so unremarkable and the performance is so grating that I think I'd rather listen to Like Flies On Sherbert. Or that MACHINE GIRL album I quit. The 2017 list remains untouched.

Best Track: The first few seconds of Expect The Bayonet
Rating: 2.5/10