Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151300)

Josemba 09-27-2019 05:09 PM

Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here

My first one was Jamlegend. I found it on a Minigames site when I was 14.

It closed, a friend told me about Thirdstyle which I played for quite a while and I found almost 99% of Thirdstyle players were from FFR.

I loved FFR instantly because it had dimrain47 and other pieces I played on Jamlegend.

Now I'm happy spamming all the profile chats while playing as a D8 who plays like a D6

If yours was stepmania, specify what version was it.

PhantomPuppy 09-27-2019 05:11 PM

Re: Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here

technically parappa the rapper, played that a few times as a kid. however, the first one i really got into was FFR, and I dabbled a bit in guitar hero (although I sucked at that game lol)

other than that i play etterna and osumania occasionally.

rushyrulz 09-27-2019 05:11 PM

I watched a GMA segment on dance dance revolution, begged my mom to get me for xmas, played it and was like wow I wish this existed without the exercise component, my cousin's friend knew about something called flash flash revolution, here I am 13+ yrs later.

Gradiant 09-27-2019 05:12 PM

DDR, then cheating on a DDR game on the xbox by using thumbs on a controller, which lead to this

Moria 09-27-2019 05:25 PM

guitar hero and frets on fire, i spent years on both before i joined up to ffr during the 8th official tourney registrations, i did what i could and got 4th in d3,

but plastic instruments were where my heart was and where my rhythm was born from

hi19hi19 09-27-2019 05:26 PM

I'm here from FFR tbh

First rhythm game experience was watching Shashakiro play this then I tried it and I was like, "well that's kinda boring but making the charts seems fun"

Moria 09-27-2019 05:29 PM

really want to post this thing, i havent used it in at least 7 years but hell it got a work out, if you look close at the star power button you can see a caked white mass, that was from a cast when i broke my wrist in my teenage years and i refused to stop playing

i was as dedicated to that game as i was this game

storn42 09-27-2019 05:39 PM

Honestly, i came here from kongregate. Found ffr there and here i am. I played for about a day then forgot about it and the site shut down. Randomly found it again when the site came back up. (Somehow) I had a history of liking rhythm games. Played a lot of guitar hero and found stepmania before really joining. And now im here.
And i cant escape. Send help.

_Zenith_ 09-27-2019 05:40 PM

Dance! Online was my very first rhythm game.

My sister had found it through an add on FOG (iirc) back when that site existed and tried it out and was playing it, and I thought it was silly at the time. I gave it an attempt and I was hooked and before I knew it, my "career" had started. Some consider that to be "SDO-USA" but SDO is the same engine as D!O used to be before it was terminated once Acclaim was terminated.

After that it was Stepmania, and I didn't know anything, never got serious in it. It took until 2009 when I moved back to my hometown and went over my childhood friend's house to say "Hey, I'm back!" and he had a friend over who was playing FFR and introduced me to it, and now I'm here.

Wind0ze 09-27-2019 06:11 PM

stepmania 3.9.

dont really remember how i found this place, maybe it was through discord?

XxXMetalheadXxX 09-27-2019 06:12 PM

I was introduced to FFR by my cousin, Kendall, which signed up a little under 2 years earlier than I did.
Surprisingly her account is still around and she even mentions me in her bio from many many years ago.
We used to always go to my grandma's house after school and play on her laptop, taking turns to try to FC DotA (And back then there wasn't many 'easy' songs per se)
I don't keep in contact with her and haven't spoke in a couple of years but I'm sure if I told her that I still played this and how good I got, she'd be shocked.
I'm gonna have to get in touch with her now.

Funnygurl555 09-27-2019 06:28 PM

i'm from whirled. the rhythm game on that site was whirled beat, which was a shit game ngl, but it introduced me to keyboard-based rhythm games. i fell in love with it, played stepmania briefly while learning to play spread, and then i was here!

Matthia 09-27-2019 07:15 PM

When I was 8, my mom bought me another Nintendo DS game called Lego Rock Band because I basically said "ok I played everything now it's all boring af"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Rock_Band

(I have no idea what happened to the game chip, either mom sold it/dad threw it away or it gets sucked into the archaic closet of oblivion that nobody in my family ever checks)

It was a 4k (or 4b because you used buttons instead) VSRG, and its visual graphics are much similar to that of Guitar Hero's. It uses horizontal lego bars as the noteskin. As I'm going to try my best to recite my memories of how I played and what types of patterns the songs contained, take a look of a gameplay ss

ok memories coming back quick ty random person who took this picture

So with Nintendo DS I used my two thumbs to control/hit the notes with two buttons on each side of the DS. With the patterns and difficulties the songs had I'm pretty sure they are quite simple as the one shown in the ss above, but I do remember a decently fast solo stream section that I remember nailing perfectly, forgot the song of it though (forgot all songs in the game lmao). And yeah last thing to say about is that I loved it. I could not stop loving that game, playing it until parents took it away from me and shit lol. Eventually the age of technology evolved and my interest from playing DS transferred to the Apple iPod Touch.

And then came several years of almost nothing. Guitar Hero was the only closest thing that I wished I had, but it did not quite fulfill my satisfaction. I really loved the idea of notes that fall (This might be the whole main reason why I chose downscroll in FFR) along separate columns while hitting them with corresponding buttons, I just didn't find it comfortable about the way you hit them by using a plastic guitar. When I was about 12-13, I thought of an idea... "Maybe there is a game that is exactly like Guitar Hero but using keys on a keyboard to hit the notes"
The first time I tried to find such a game had failed. I gave up on search-fielding the internet with "guitar hero with keyboard, keyboard guitar Hero game, using keys on keyboard that is not a guitar guitar hero game" :/ dammit because that game I tried to find already exists, and it is even older than me LMAO.

14 years old, I had graduated from middle school, and I get to keep the chromebook (wink wink) that I chose and used in school, for the rest of my life. I played a vast amount of hours into .io games that were becoming trendy over all low teenage middle school boys and younger, so that was that I guess. Yeah and then my chromebook and a couple other things became the center of attention in my life for a while.

September 2017: ok so one time I watched a Minecraft youtuber with a small channel (bout 10k subs) and suddenly in the middle of showing off his hardcore minecraft parkour skills he decided to randomly show his viewers a short clip of his stepmania gameplay. At first glance I was like oh coo- wait a second, Key-cam? Falling notes, and hitting them? oh.

October 2017: I found FFR (I couldn't download stepmania bc chromebooks can't, but luckily I kept looking at the search results for more rhythm games)
It began is all I gotta say. Played as guest for about a solid month, configured around with the settings (includes immediately switching to downscroll; I can still remember my face of disgust when the arrows flew up), and played difficulty 1-10 songs + the ones that appear on the top of each difficulty category like 300 THIS IS SPARTA, 00.01, CIA Rave, 0 piano version, etc. (also loved mashing Undici and DP). My skill level was equivalent to a 20-ish at that time.

November 11, 2017, Veteran's day (Got Veteran status 1.11 years later)
I signed up. Chose Matthia as my username instead of the all out MDGutz1102 I used in all other games since I was 11, so ima thank myself for being old enough to think twice when I saw You Cannot Change Your Username Ever during registering. I started as a level 0 noob. <---- That was only two years ago

[INSERT THE REST OF THE STORY WHERE I NEVER STOPPED GETTING BETTER AT THIS GAME]

tl;dr
I am a FFR main

Rapta 09-27-2019 07:31 PM

I started almost 12 years ago on a rhythm game called Whirled Beat. It was a game on the platform Whirled which has since shut down. I was the single best player with all the high scores on that platform aside from maybe The Homie G who I viewed as my rival, us both being around d4.

I found out about FFR through my friend Funnygurl555 (shoutouts to you fam) who also played Whirled Beat.

FirstMaple8 09-27-2019 07:36 PM

First found FFR. Then moved to maining both SM and FFR and ocassionally playing o!m. Now I main Etterna and play FFR on the side, and play o!m never because it's dogshit.

DaBackpack 09-27-2019 07:59 PM

My dad found a PS1 fingerpad for the original DDR and that technically was my first exposure to the genre but I think my first proper rhythm game was DDR Konamix. I had one of those horrid Madcats hard-plastic pads with the indented steps (fucking oof) but I played it a lot. Once I got a PS2 I got all of the DDR games and bought a really great foam pad. It was like my main source of exercise and boy did it work. Once I went to college I stopped because it was noisy for the rest of the dorms.

I was introduced to these forums because of TWG, the rest is just a coincidence.

SubaruPoptart 09-27-2019 08:12 PM

I think the first one I had ever played was Guitar Hero 3 in late 2007, Rock Band 1 and 2 in 2008, but the first game I was really into was Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 2. Back in about 2009, when I was in Kindergarten. Skip forward a few years, I rediscover RB2 in 2014, get RB3 sometime later, and in November of 2014 I came here.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band was what made me get used to downscroll so that's why I use it today : )

-paexaea- 09-27-2019 08:15 PM

Came from DDR originally, then picked up SM 3.9 with plaguemix. Its all been downhill from here lol not really i love playin vsrgs

Skullbac 09-27-2019 08:17 PM

First rhythm game I ever played was a DDR Extreme machine at my local McDonald’s when I was 6 years old. I thought that whenever I saw the arrows I was supposed to step on them, but I couldn’t hear the song very well due to everybody speaking, the game wasn’t very loud and I didn’t know the purpose of the frets. That McDonald’s unfortunately burned down on August 29, 2014 :/

For the next 5 years I played multiple flash rhythm games, until I got Guitar Hero when I was 11, which I played quite a lot.

Once I finished 7th grade, I discovered Nekodancer, and oh boy was I addicted. On the day of its release, I played it all day. Play it almost all day for a month, until I met Gradiant, Charu and gold stinger. Because Nekodancer was too easy, they introduced me to FFR. I can’t remember the first file I’ve ever played, but I believe it was Hardkore Atomic. I did it because I wanted to unlock Disconnected Hardkore, which I found was a super epic song from when I played ITG in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. When I played Hardkore Atomic, I found it to be impossible spam. Today, I am rank 34 and AAAed Call me it. (500 Tortures), a difficulty 99 file.

Arere 09-27-2019 08:19 PM

does that club penguin rhythm game count bc i played that in 2008