Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Events (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   9th Official Tournament -- Round 8 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=132232)

awein999 10-13-2013 08:07 AM

Re: 9th Official Tournament -- Sign-ups open!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenorosth (Post 3995048)
Yeah. I'm fairly sure I don't want to play.

And no, you don't have to play 12 hours. But you do have to put a good amount of time into it. 3-4 hours at least, and that isn't an exaggeration. What's worse is that people DO play for 12 hours a day.

And yeah, I'm a college student. It takes time, and a lot of it. I had a project for due one month later, worked 6 hours on it a day, and still didn't finish. Only one person did.

And saying this now, I feel like I'd be better off elsewhere. Obviously, people think I'm joking or exaggerating, but I'm not. To get the tokens I have now? I had to play 6-8 hours a day. I'm not blowing this up. Anyone who is in D4-7 is lying if they say they've not grinded like that before.

Perhaps I am too serious for this place, I suppose. Have fun with your tournament.

I'll be living in the real world.

You're in college good job, however you probably shouldn't brag about it in a thread where the purpose is to hype for a rhythm gaming tournament. People here might be interested in this actually, but it has to be in the correct thread. This is a very diverse forum.

You make claims without knowing anything about the claims, it's like you make up statistics and call it fact, then you base your self worth on those perceived notions. It's really hard to take you seriously.

VisD 10-13-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

To get the tokens I have now? I had to play 6-8 hours a day. I'm not blowing this up. Anyone who is in D4-7 is lying if they say they've not grinded like that before.

Perhaps I am too serious for this place, I suppose. Have fun with your tournament.

I'll be living in the real world.

Bolded part = nah lmfao

Have fun with the real world. Don't let the door hit you on the way out :):):):):):)

Xenorosth 10-13-2013 08:23 AM

Don't worry. Won't happen again. I requested a profile close, so this is my last post for good.

But as a final note, you don't need to lecture me on "working hard". This developed because someone called me on what I said. Naturally, I'm going to respond.

I've already done something noteworthy. I've gotten enough scholarship money that I don't have to pay for college, because I worked my ass off. I'm getting a research job at my university, because I worked my ass off. Saying I should work my ass of here at all is a joke, because at the end of the day, no one cares if you can hit keys in rhythm. There was a point where I analyzed. It's why I switched to spread from index in the first place.

But if you really feel the need to investigate, go ahead and throw up a poll. And will do VisD.

devonin 10-13-2013 08:28 AM

Lemme go find my post from like, tournament 5 where I went on about how people need to get their heads around the fact that 85% of them have a literally zero chance of winning anything, and that the reason this is true is that the first 5 or 6 rounds are replacing what would have been qualifiers in any other tournament.

The actual competitive tournament in one of these is basically the round of 8 to the finals. Everything else doesn't count.

I'm going to be put in D2 again, and I'm going to lose by round 3 again, and even if I were put in D1, I'd lose by round 5. Doesn't matter. If you want to play 5 songs a day and still win a tournament, you just don't know what things mean.

GammaBlaster 10-13-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

What's worse is that people DO play for 12 hours a day.

If you're talking about rhythm games, that's really exhausting as fuck. I can only go up to about 3-4 hours, and I only play on-and-off during a day. Averages around at least 45 minutes or double, which happens to be around the same amount time I practice the piano a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenorosth (Post 3995055)
Saying I should work my ass of here at all is a joke, because at the end of the day, no one cares if you can hit keys in rhythm.

guess no one cares about me being a pianist

also you remind me of this one user who made a really controversial thread about the game being elitist

psychoangel691 10-13-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenorosth (Post 3995055)
Don't worry. Won't happen again. I requested a profile close, so this is my last post for good.

But as a final note, you don't need to lecture me on "working hard". This developed because someone called me on what I said. Naturally, I'm going to respond.

I've already done something noteworthy. I've gotten enough scholarship money that I don't have to pay for college, because I worked my ass off. I'm getting a research job at my university, because I worked my ass off. Saying I should work my ass of here at all is a joke, because at the end of the day, no one cares if you can hit keys in rhythm. There was a point where I analyzed. It's why I switched to spread from index in the first place.

But if you really feel the need to investigate, go ahead and throw up a poll. And will do VisD.

There are a lot of accomplished people here and in other rhythm games, you really need to lose that attitude. One of the greatest examples I can give is MadMatt in the ITG world. One of the best players and is a particle physicist for Firmilab lol. I wont get into a big list but my point is you can have a life with real world accomplishments and still have a hobby you enjoy and are also accomplished at.

And yes when it comes to the Official tourney people do care if you can hit keys on rhythm XD. This is also an event that is taken more seriously and if you aren't a serious player then this probably isn't for you. It's a competition for a reason. If you want more casual competition try a user tournament.

xXOpkillerXx 10-13-2013 08:32 AM

Shit guys what is this, post some more Hype stuff and let the dude quit lmfao, why such a debate :3

GammaBlaster 10-13-2013 08:35 AM

alright

time to wreck D7

but I'll be unavailable for Round 1 for a few days since I'm off to a concert band camp for a week

psychoangel691 10-13-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 3995060)
Shit guys what is this, post some more Hype stuff and let the dude quit lmfao, why such a debate :3

This is the cycle we go through every tourney with the same stuff over and over. Can't possibly break this tradition it wouldn't be the official without it.

GammaBlaster 10-13-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3995059)
One of the greatest examples I can give is MadMatt in the ITG world. One of the best players and is a particle physicist for Firmilab lol.

which reminds me

xXOpkillerXx 10-13-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3995064)
This is the cycle we go through every tourney with the same stuff over and over. Can't possibly break this tradition it wouldn't be the official without it.

Hmm, you're right lol. :roll:

Also, working on going back to FFR right now (cuz SOOO much SM in the past 2/3 months), it's pretty tough since the lag hit me hard hahaha~

devonin 10-13-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3995064)

I had a brilliant idea just now for how to fix tournaments forever:

It costs 100,000 tokens or 1 US Dollar to enter.

Seriously, think about what that would mean.

EzExZeRo7497 10-13-2013 08:40 AM

i'm scared of opkiller cover me

TC_Halogen 10-13-2013 08:41 AM

One could only imagine what would happen if we made an entry fee similar to the kinds we see at ITG tournaments ($10-$20)...

That would be some good prize money.

EDIT: lol posting from work because it's so dead right now

also, even $1 would be somewhat impressive, considering the monetary value of prizes for last tournament -- if we were to clock in at about 600 sign-ups, we would have nearly triple the money offered as prizes from the last tournament

Sgt. Traveler 10-13-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 3995068)

I don't know what to think if you were to use real-life currency...

psychoangel691 10-13-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaBlaster (Post 3995065)
which reminds me

Haha yes AJ had showed me this but I forgot about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 3995068)

That would mean more bitching about placements and more cheating.

Edit: Also BAD AJ! Don't get caught on FFR at work lol.

devonin 10-13-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3995074)
Haha yes AJ had showed me this but I forgot about it.

That would mean more bitching about placements and more cheating.

Edit: Also BAD AJ! Don't get caught on FFR at work lol.

It would not mean more bitching about placements. It means all the people who are going to bitch about placements JUST WON'T ENTER instead.

Imagine a world where ONLY the people who were going to take this seriously and planned to spend at least a couple hours a day working at it were the ones who entered! A glorious bright future!

Also: I don't mean that the entry fee would result therefore in cash prizes too. No no no. It just costs money to enter, full stop, to show that you're actually serious about this, and not going to come in here and whine about how you're going to lose because you're so cool and have a life, and don't have time for this silly game.

If you think it is silly, why the hell are you wanting to take part in the most serious competitive thing it does? Best of luck playing in the World Series if you think Baseball is dumb and that people who spend hours a day on Baseball are dumb. Even at 500 people entering at 1 dollar each, the staff running this event would be making WAAAY less than minimum wage for running it. Let them have the entry fee.

psychoangel691 10-13-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 3995076)
It would not mean more bitching about placements. It means all the people who are going to bitch about placements JUST WON'T ENTER instead.

Imagine a world where ONLY the people who were going to take this seriously and planned to spend at least a couple hours a day working at it were the ones who entered! A glorious bright future!

There are people who are serious about the game that still complain about their placement. Fueling it with a potential monetary gain will only make that worse unfortunately. Or the loss of their dollar lol.

Damn you and your edit lol. We couldn't take on an entry fee unless we were putting it back out since the site is non-profit. Most of our music permissions are based on being non-profit.

Sgt. Traveler 10-13-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 3995076)

Maybe it's just me who never notices his credits counter, but wouldn't 100,000 credits a little too much, or is that pretty much affordable to the veterans here?

devonin 10-13-2013 08:51 AM

If you only had 50 or 60 people entering because they were the only ones serious enough about it to put up one whole shiny dollar, it would also be a hell of a lot easier to sort them into appropriate categories. With that few people, you might even be able to be more precise and not fall victim to the "The best D5 player is miles ahead of the worst D5 player" thing, and maybe give everybody the same song with skill-based score co-efficients.

That's probably the best way to resolve sorting issues, but it is impossible with as many people as sign up now, but would be totally possible with fewer, more serious players who also therefore have more and better scoring data to analyze.